In your opinion, what do you understand it takes for a person to get to heaven

runco

74 posts, 936 views in 7 days. Wow, I did not expect this. I will make one more posting. As was stated in the first post, I am taking a class on F.A.I.T.H., and the original question about "In your personal opinion, what do you understand it takes for a person to get to heaven and have eternal life?" As I stated, there are 4 possible answers. I have read all of the 74 posts, and believe I saw 3 of the 4 possible answers. Below are the 4 possible answers:

1.) A person may not know they are lost.

2.) A person knows they are lost but refuse to admit it.

3.) A person could try to find the way to God on their own.

4.) A person could admit they are lost and get the help they need

Anyway, if your opinion fits one of the above, I like to share what I have learned with all who will read this posting. It is so simple it can be spelled out with one hand with 5 simple letters F.A.I.T.H.

F = is for forgiveness. The bible says in Romans 3:23 "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" God's forgiveness is in Jesus only. The bible says in Ephesians 1:7, "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace."

A = is for Available. God's forgiveness is available for all. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotton Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life". God's forgiveness is avaiable but not automatic. The bible is clear, Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven.

I = is for Impossible. According to the Bible, it is impossible to get to heaven on our own. Ephesians 2:8-9 "By grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift-not from works, so that no one can boast". So how can a sinful person have eternal life and enter heaven?

T = is for Turn. Turn means repent. Turn aware from sin and self. Luke 13:3 "Unless you repent, you will all perish as well!" Turn to Jesus alone as your Savior and Lord. John 14:6 "I am the way the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me". Then the best news of all: Romans 10:9-10 "If you confess with your mouth "Jesus is Lord", and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. With the heart one believes, resulting in righteousness and with the mouth one confesses, resulting in salvation" If you have repented of your sins and confess Christ, then what happens next:

H = is for Heaven. John 14:3 "If I go away and prepare a place for you, I will come back and receive you to Myself, so that where I am you may be also" and John 10:10 "I have come that they may have life and have it in abundance"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Number 5 is missing. ;)

74 posts, 936 views in 7 days. Wow, I did not expect this. I will make one more posting. As was stated in the first post, I am taking a class on F.A.I.T.H., and the original question about "In your personal opinion, what do you understand it takes for a person to get to heaven and have eternal life?" As I stated, there are 4 possible answers. I have read all of the 74 posts, and believe I saw 3 of the 4 possible answers. Below are the 4 possible answers:

Anyway, if your opinion fits one of the above, I like to share what I have learned with all who will read this posting. It is so simple it can be spelled out with one hand with 5 simple letters F.A.I.T.H.

F = is for forgiveness. The bible says in Romans 3:23 "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" God's forgiveness is in Jesus only. The bible says in Ephesians 1:7, "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace."

A = is for Available. God's forgiveness is available for all. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotton Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life". God's forgiveness is avaiable but not automatic. The bible is clear, Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of heaven.

I = is for Impossible. According to the Bible, it is impossible to get to heaven on our own. Ephesians 2:8-9 "By grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift-not from works, so that no one can boast". So how can a sinful person have eternal life and enter heaven?

T = is for Turn. Turn means repent. Turn aware from sin and self. Luke 13:3 "Unless you repent, you will all perish as well!" Turn to Jesus alone as your Savior and Lord. John 14:6 "I am the way the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me". Then the best news of all: Romans 10:9-10 "If you confess with your mouth "Jesus is Lord", and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. With the heart one believes, resulting in righteousness and with the mouth one confesses, resulting in salvation" If you have repented of your sins and confess Christ, then what happens next:

H = is for Heaven. John 14:3 "If I go away and prepare a place for you, I will come back and receive you to Myself, so that where I am you may be also" and John 10:10 "I have come that they may have life and have it in abundance"

Thanks for posting.

I'm gonna pray for y'all.

I was not belittling anyone's beliefs. I just asked why he believes that (by wanting supporting scripture). That is the way mature people respond. Not by telling people to grow up simply for asking a question.

Many call it Faith, and it is one of the seven Sacraments, the foundation for these are in Catholicism.

Where Baptist, Lutheran, and I believe Episcopalians use Sunday school and bible study, Catholics use catechism as the means for teaching both the scripture and the rights of the sacraments.

These include

1. Baptism
  2. Eucharist/Communion (the breaking of the bread at the last supper)
  3. Reconciliation or Penance
  4. Confirmation (recognizing your Baptism as an adult)
  5. Marriage (self-explanatory)
  6. Holy Orders (Taking of the vows in becoming a Catholic Priest)
  7. Anointing of the Sick/ Last Rights? Extreme Unction (A Healing of physical, mental and spiritual nature)

In your personal opinion, what do you understand it takes for a person to get to heaven and have eternal life?

Well, I ain't real for sure, but I think that first, you gotta' die.

On a more serious (but somewhat less topical and considerably more profound) note, a friend of mine put it pretty succinctly not long ago when he said, "There's religion and there's spirituality. Religion is when you believe in hell... spirituality is when you've BEEN through hell."

When asked this question (in essence) was asked of Peter at Pentacost, he responded...

Acts 2:38

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

38 Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

And later, Peter said,

1 Peter 3:18-21

18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20 who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water. 21 Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Christ Himself said...

Mark 16:16

16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

These are just a few verses. If you are serious about your salvation, you really need to study. I just wanted to point these out because the Bible teaches that baptism is essential and from the skimming of this forum, I wasn't seeing that highlighted. Do I believe that having yourself get dunked in water saves you? No. Do I believe that after hearing the Word, believing, confessing that Jesus is the Son of God, repenting of my sins, and following the command to be baptized (immersed) for the remission of sins and thus coming into contact with the blood of Christ saves you? Yes. However, once saved, we must continue to "...walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light..." so "...the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin." 1 John 1:7

Edited by Turf

...Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

...Christ Himself said...

He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

...the Bible teaches that baptism is essential

Dang, Jesus must have fibbed to them two thieves on the cross beside him.

And my, all these Christians that only sprinkle are goin' to hell too.

- OS