whats with all the SAO DAK LEM etc?

hlb14

to answer your question yes i shot a glock either 17 or 19 not sure in a basic shooters safety class and didn't like the way the gun felt in my hand at all, i just couldn't get a firm comfortable grip on it. I also kept anticipating the shot which caused every round to travel down and to the left, something that 200 or so rounds as someone metioned might cure that. i've held a co-workers 1911 and it felt like a glove, just like all of the sig p-series guns i've held (220, 225, 226, 229). the plan is to start shooting with 9mm since ammo is cheaper and eventually carry either a 45 or 357 sig. i appreciate all the advice from you guys as you've all been here before so thanks, i just don't see myself ever being a plastic gun guy, not knocking it at all, i totally see where carrying a lighter gun would be advantagious, i'm just old school i guess

This. And for me several hundred rounds did not help. Not every gun works for every shooter.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drv2fst

I'm no expert but here is my take on different triggers:

Single Action triggers are the best for accuracy. They make it easy to pull the trigger well so that the bullet hits where you wanted it to. The problem is that they are so easy to pull you need some other mechanism to keep them from firing unintentionally, like an external (thumb) safety (or two: grip safety, or three: cocked hammer). These are GREAT for the range and will make you look and feel like a great shooter. However, these take more training to be used as a defensive gun since there are safeties that need to be disabled before you can shoot. Experienced shooters can do this in the blink of an eye. Inexperienced shooters will have nightmares about trying to pull that trigger when you need to and the safety is still on.

Double Action Only triggers are naturally safer since it's more difficult to pull the trigger (greater spring resistance) AND you have to pull the trigger farther (long travel). Pretty safe. Very consistent. The downside is that it's harder to be accurate with these triggers. It takes a lot more training to group well with these at a distance. That makes these guns less fun at the range since it puts an extra burden on the shooter to be accurate. However, accuracy in a defense situation is a different definition. Many people feel that "minute of man" is good enough, meaning that if you hit the person that as accurate as you need to be. That's a whole other debate. With these triggers there is MUCH less to worry about when you need this gun. It it's loaded, chambered, and you pull the trigger; it just works every time.

All of the others DA/SA, DAK, V1, ..... are some type of compromise of these two. The usual compromise is that the first shot is Double Action, but all the rest of the shots are as close to Single Action as the gun will allow.

I have the compact(6+1) because of my small hands but their is also a full size(8+1). SAO, accurate, feeds anything I feed it & thin but around 30ozs. The more I search for another gun I end up going back to this gun. CDNN has these on sell and I debating on getting a second one.

IMG_0831.jpg

If you want a reasonably priced semi auto with a reliable, consistant, trigger pull and a gun that wont let you down its between an XD and a Glock these days IMO. I love Glocks, own several, but after shooting XDs for a while I can that for ME its a better shooting pistol. But its hard to beat Glocks for cheap parts, easily changed trigger pull, holster selection and magazine interchangeability.

If you want a reasonably priced semi auto with a reliable, consistant, trigger pull and a gun that wont let you down its between an XD and a Glock these days IMO. I love Glocks, own several, but after shooting XDs for a while I can that for ME its a better shooting pistol. But its hard to beat Glocks for cheap parts, easily changed trigger pull, holster selection and magazine interchangeability.

Or M&P

Or SR Ruger.

M&Ps are fine guns for sure.

Honestly just about any name brand 9mm out there these days are good guns, thats why everyone should have at least one of each :)

That's why these threads always go the same way. Lots of good pistols out there, and everybody has their favorites.

Guest Lester Weevils
to answer your question yes i shot a glock either 17 or 19 not sure in a basic shooters safety class and didn't like the way the gun felt in my hand at all, i just couldn't get a firm comfortable grip on it. I also kept anticipating the shot which caused every round to travel down and to the left, something that 200 or so rounds as someone metioned might cure that. i've held a co-workers 1911 and it felt like a glove, just like all of the sig p-series guns i've held (220, 225, 226, 229). the plan is to start shooting with 9mm since ammo is cheaper and eventually carry either a 45 or 357 sig. i appreciate all the advice from you guys as you've all been here before so thanks, i just don't see myself ever being a plastic gun guy, not knocking it at all, i totally see where carrying a lighter gun would be advantagious, i'm just old school i guess

Re the grip rather than trigger, sometimes familiarity reduces a feeling of "can't get a firm grip on it".

A few pistols I didn't like the feel at first and never liked them any better later on. But a few that felt "odd" at first later turned out to be favorites after some familiarity.

I would seriously look at the sig 938 when it reaches stores, it looks like it will be an "affordable" 9mm 1911 option.

After getting used to firing .45's in a officers size1911, the g19 was like shooting a.22. I prefer the sa format, but if money wasn't tight I would have a g19 in the safe as well. But I think I will be saving up for the 938.

Guest twpayne75

I have not gone through these threads, I will just give you my experience.

I carried Sigs for a long times. (226R, 220R, 229R, 228R) All DA/SA. One day I decided while going to shoot that I was going to start practicing as I would more than likely actually need my carry weapon. So rather than draw and empty a magazine, I started drawing and double or triple tapping, decocking, and holstering.

I found that DA/SA really messed me up. I started reading about DAK. I found a person on Sigforum wanting to trade DAK parts for DA/SA parts and thought I would try it. I ended up converting all 6 of my Sigs to DAK. I really liked it.

Sometime later I heard about the HK LEM. I tried it. Now that is all I carry.

No offense intended to the OP, as I realize it was just a comparison of actions wanted, but asking on an internet gun forum "What is the best ........" is a waste of keystrokes. Everybody has a "best". And whatever that person has at that moment, they feel is the "best", or atleast want to believe they have the "best" whatever. I see countless threads everywhere about best gun, best holster, best sights, etc. It's crazy. It's all based on opinions. There is no such thing as a finite best. There is only best for you. I generally don't give opinions in threads like those for that reason. I have used dozens of holsters, every night sight that I know of, and many, many guns. They have all served a role well, and not sure that any one of them was better than another. Sometimes your best is determined by what you can afford or what is available for you to obtain.

Only way you can tell what's best for you is to try them out. I own many different makes of guns. I generally stay with Sig, Glock, or HK. It's not that I think Ruger or others are junk, it's just that these are all I have used, they have never let me down, and I don't see any improvements on these brands made by anyone else.

Sorry for the long rant. It wasn't really even brought on by this forum. I just left Arfcom and there was 50 threads on "what is the best........" If you think the answers vary here, try getting a few hundred thousand people to tell you whats best and see what kind of answers you get.