Need some help.

dispatch 510

Ive been out of the shooting game for about 4 yrs. But time to get back. My wife told be the other day she wants her carry permit. Now she is a new shooter,shot her first gun ever last week. Rem 870 20 ga. she loved it. Im thinkin 22 revolver as a trainer. What do you guys think. The reason Im asking is a guy at work said a 38 or 9mm so she would get use to the recoil and noise in the beginning. Im scared that if she started with that she might get gun shy. Whats yalls thoughts. Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Berretta Tomcat .32acp. Bought the wife one and she loves it. She's had a Walther P22 and didn't like it because it was too complicated in her eyes. She also has a .357 snub but says it becomes uncomfortable to shoot even with .38 after 30 rounds. She has no trouble with the Tomcat and can shoot all day with it. Easy to load, easy to clean and still a respectable carry gun with the right loads. Just my 2 cents.

my wife just took her carry class last week. She loved that I started her off with .22lr..... she passed the class with flying colors!...Now she told me she wants to move up to a 9mm !!! I've seen some gals with us at the range get a little 'gun' shy when started off with .40 or other. My experience is always been to build the 'fun' and confidence factor... then let her choose to move up. She also like the semi-auto, rather than revolver...but I'm guessing that is preference.

Edited by sigrug17

Explain the options to her get her feed back, I have had all my children start with a few rounds in the 9mm at which point the option for the .22 is made avaiable for training. They have all had practice with long guns prior so that changes the end game I would think. My youngest daughter (12 now) stuck with the 9mm and up. My oldest son did the same. My oldest daughter and middle son like to taget shoot the .22 more and the yougest is yet to be seen as he is only three.

Edited by pfries

I'd go with a .22 revolver. It's not intimidating, and she can get comfortable with things before moving upward in caliber.

I started both my college age daughters with a .22 (they are 5' 8" and 5' 9", so not petite).

One is happy with .22 semiauto now, while other likes to shoot 9mm.

Neither likes .357.

Many, many moons ago, I started with the same .22 revolver---Ruger Single Six.

It really depends on how and how often she intends to carry.

I started my wife with a bluegun G19, then introduced a G19 with an Advantage Arms 22lr kit and dummy rounds, then live rounds, then the same G19 with the 9mm top half. All of these (except for the blue gun) have the same sights too. She doesn't carry, it's strictly for knowledge.

Guest Nikator

:)Bring her to a range that has a good variety of rental guns and let her shoot whatever she is interested in. She might even give you permission to buy some more guns :)

Don’t get in a hurry on picking out a training gun for your wife; just use what you or your friends already have. Let her take the HCP training course and apply for her carry permit for now and spend your money on ammunition. When she’s ready let her pick out the handgun she likes best and just give her the money to buy it. This is all about helping her to learn her way about the legalities and responsibilities of firearms ownership and self protection. Trust her on this and she’ll make you proud.

Ive been out of the shooting game for about 4 yrs. But time to get back. My wife told be the other day she wants her carry permit. Now she is a new shooter,shot her first gun ever last week. Rem 870 20 ga. she loved it. Im thinkin 22 revolver as a trainer. What do you guys think. The reason Im asking is a guy at work said a 38 or 9mm so she would get use to the recoil and noise in the beginning. Im scared that if she started with that she might get gun shy. Whats yalls thoughts. Thanks

If she shot an 870 and loved it, why would she shy away from a 9mm? Take her to a range with rentals and let her decide. My girlfriend went from .22 to 9mm to a 1911 on her first trip to the range. She loved the 9mm. had no problem with the .45 either.

Guest bluecanary25

What is it with you guys??

Take the little lady to a shop with pretty pink pistols and let her choose the cutest one! Simple and direct.

Gunz iz scary, nasty dirty things!!

Just kidding!!!!

Some good advise from the board.

My opinion: have a target/practice gun of any caliber of her choosing and a carry gun of sufficient size to defend oneself with confidence.

My better-half carries a Bersa 380 but we also have a Firestorm (Bersa) 22 for practice.

Almost the same gun in different calibers.

First time I take someone new with me to the range I start them with my Sig Mosquito .22. Full size frame, easy to shoot, minimal recoil, and pretty accurate. It builds confidence fast! Then I'll move them to a small .22 auto (Phoenix HP. little more recoil and more control needed), and if they do well up to a 9mm.