Dump or Fix?

I have a 1965 Ruger Standard .22 cal pistol. It fire the .22longs. The extractor ???? bar??? (sorry if this isn't the right name) is gone out of it, (That was what a trusted gunsmith told me). The gun will fire, but will not eject the spent casing. He said he could get the part for under $30. He also offered me $100 for it.

Now here is the problem. The gun was given to me by a friend, so I have no money tied up in it. Get rid of it for $100, or put $50 (part+labor) into it to get it working correctly. The gunsmith who looked at it for me, said if it was him he would fix it and keep it, because he has two of them and they are a blast to shoot. I have had one in the past and it was fun, but I am still wanting guns for "purposes" not just fun toys, if that makes sense.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This part?

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=287530C&MC

If it's just the extractor, above, then we're talking $1.50 plus shipping.... and maybe get a new plunger & spring for kicks. They're pretty easy to install. If you weren't halfway across the state, I'd offer to do it for you.

Edited by molonlabetn
I don't understand the question.

A free gun can be fixed by a gunsmith for 50 bucks or fixed for a few bucks if you buy the parts and do it yourself.

I must be missing something here.

First, Iwasn't aware that the part would only cost me dollars, as the gunsmith told me it would be around $30.

The dilemia is there are at least 5 guns I have had my eye on lately, and the $100 I could make from getting rid of this gun, could go towards one of these others.

The questions is .....What would you do, dump it or fix it and keep it?

Simple question, seeking other gun minded people's opinions.

Guest Mugster

Well, he probably threw in 30 minutes of labor for ordering the part and doing the work. It's cheaper to work on your own car too...well assuming you don't mess it up.

Since you didn't own the pistol new (so know what the internal parts are supposed to look like), and since it sounds like you probably have never worked on one, i'd advise throwing the $30 at it and getting it fixed by a pro.

If you want to sell after that, you should be able to get more than $100, imo.

Possibly someone on here could help you fix it...thats a good way to go too.

yeah seriously, if you fixed it it would easily bring a lot more than 100 bucks.

I think it is a no brainer. Buy the parts and fix it yourself.

It reads to me like a perfect chance to to learn some simple pistol repair.

Besides, who would not want a semi auto Ruger.

Dear Jason

The extractor is a simple fix. It is held in by spring pressure acting on a plunger.

Why don't you call Ruger and order the parts? Extractor, Extractor Spring and Plunger. Have the pistol at hand to give them the serial no so they may send the correct parts.

If you don't feel comfortable putting them in, and ever get near the Nashville area, mail me and I will put them in for you gratis. If you don't get around these parts, you can send me the bolt assy' with the new parts. Sending just the bolt assy' is like sending any other machined part through Fed Ex.

With the bolt out of the firearm, make sure you don't lose the firing pin stop. It is a pin towards the front of the bolt that protects the firing pin and chamber during dry firing, and may slip out of the gun. Taping around this part will keep it in place. Also tape around the recoil spring to keep it in place.

I have some experience with these fine firearms.

my .2 : keep the pistol.

firstly, there are quite a few fellas here on the gun board that would help you repair it. that's a +1.

another +1 is that those Ruger pistols are GREAT training pistols, as well as pretty danged accurate!

an accurate pistol for a grand total of perhaps 20.00....can't beat that with a stick!

I'd advise you to keep it.

Guest mikedwood

With the cost of ammo and these offers to help you fix it for under $10 bucks that .22 is a real keeper. I have a Mark III and everyone that shoots it loves it. It's a great practice gun and you can get 100 rounds of good stuff for $7.50 still.

I think if you get rid of it you will regret it later.

Thanks everyone. I think I will fix and keep. So I should contact ruger and order the parts? Whn I called Ruger to find out what model this was (because it doesn't say anywhere on the pistol) they had to send me to the records department becasue of it age. That is when I found out it was a 1965 model Standard.

This part?

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=287530C&MC

If it's just the extractor, above, then we're talking $1.50 plus shipping.... and maybe get a new plunger & spring for kicks. They're pretty easy to install. If you weren't halfway across the state, I'd offer to do it for you.

The Part in the above post, says it is for a Mark I, my pistol is the model before the Mark I, the Standard. Does anyone know if this part will work? I guess I need to call Ruger.

Thanks everyone. I think I will fix and keep. So I should contact ruger and order the parts? Whn I called Ruger to find out what model this was (because it doesn't say anywhere on the pistol) they had to send me to the records department becasue of it age. That is when I found out it was a 1965 model Standard.

The Part in the above post, says it is for a Mark I, my pistol is the model before the Mark I, the Standard. Does anyone know if this part will work? I guess I need to call Ruger.

All of the Ruger .22 pistols use the same extractor.