Just In Case You Had Any Doubts...

I mean about Barak Obama and his view of the average American. That means about everyone on this board.

So you guys need to give up your bitterness and get rid of those guns!

Here's the Wall St Journal this morning.

The Other Obama

April 14, 2008;

This has been a long Presidential campaign, but often usefully so. The Democratic Party fight is helping us learn that there's more to Barack Obama than the eloquent, post-partisan, disciplined purveyor of "hope" that he typically projects.

There's also the Barack Obama who attended Rev. Jeremiah Wright's ("God d--- America") church for 20 years, the one who emerged from the Chicago Democratic machine with friends like Tony Rezko, the one with the most liberal voting record in the U.S. Senate, and now we learn the one with a Harvard-eye view of American angst.

OB-BH041_oj_3ob_20080413201347.jpgAP Barack Obama At an April 6 fund-raiser in San Francisco, this Obama explained to his non-blue-collar donors: "You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive Administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

As political psychoanalysis, this is what they believe in Cambridge and Hyde Park. Guns and God are the opiate of the masses, who are being gulled by Karl Rove and rich Republicans. If only they embraced their true economic self-interest, these pure saps wouldn't need religion and they wouldn't dislike non-white immigrants.

Mr. Obama's unreflective condescension is reminiscent of the famous 1993 Washington Post article that described evangelical Christians as "poor, undereducated and easy to command." And the fact that he said it so naturally in front of a San Francisco crowd suggests that this is what he may truly believe. This is Mr. Obama's inner Mike Dukakis.

The Senator went into damage-control mode on the weekend, initially defending his comments as what "everybody knows is true," then later saying he "deeply" regretted if his words "offended" some. He also tried to suggest that he really meant to say that economic anxiety prods people to focus on cultural and social issues at the polls. "So I said, 'Well, you know, when you're bitter you turn to what you can count on. So people they vote about guns, or they take comfort from their faith and their family and their community," Mr. Obama told a crowd in Indiana. But that still diminishes the convictions of those voters who care more about the right to bear arms, or faith in God, than they do about the AFL-CIO's agenda.

Mr. Obama's comments are a gift to Hillary Clinton, who pounced on his "demeaning remarks," presenting herself as more in tune with Pennsylvania values – even reminiscing about how her father taught her to shoot a gun. Mrs. Clinton may have earned an "F" from the National Rifle Association for her Senate voting record, but she'll take any opening she can.

Senator Obama has had a mostly charmed Presidential run, but the truth is there's much that Americans still don't know about him or what he believes.

See all of today's editorials and op-eds, plus video commentary, on Opinion Journal.

And add your comments to the Opinion Journal forum.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said this asshat was racist since he first came out which has lead to some people bickering at me.Then the big story came upon us about his church,now he says this.If you leave out what he says about guns in this statement you will see the bitterness towards the white man.

Guest CrazyLincoln
And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion

Strange people would exersise the FIRST TWO amendments that countless Americans have spilled blood for, oh, and of course they have to be bitter to do that......

or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

Yes, everyone who exercises their constitution freedoms is a bigot too.....

Not all black folks are liberal welfare state advocates like Bozo Obama.

I like this guy, Ken Blanchard, http://www.blackmanwithagun.com . I don't think he likes Obama too much. Ken is an Ex-Marine, NRA member/instructor, minister, debated Al Sharpton on gun control on TV, was featured in an anti-Michael Moore movie called "Michael and Me", and wrote a great little book called Black Man with a Gun.

Ken has a great podcast, too- I listen to it pretty much every week or so when he puts out a new one.

Strange people would exersise the FIRST TWO amendments that countless Americans have spilled blood for, oh, and of course they have to be bitter to do that......

Yes, everyone who exercises their constitution freedoms is a bigot too.....

You sound kind of bitter...

Keep in mind people that Obama is not "just black"...hes mixed. Im not saying that means he cant be racist, but...remember where he comes from too. However, that being said...I dont like him, dont trust him, and will most definitely not vote for him. We should be more careful what we say here lest we start looking like those Ohio State Troopers ;-D

Guest CrazyLincoln
You sound kind of bitter...

Oh no! Someone found out!

;)

Guess I'll have to vote for Obama then because he knows me too well.....