First AR build ready to start

Guest wallyiv

Guest wallyiv

Hello from Nashville,

I need to start my first AR build; the commercial market is almost overwhelming. I think I have decided against building it from scratch because the lowers all seem pretty standard of than trigger group, grip, and stock. I will upgrade trigger later if necessary, and grip is easy to pick. My problem is deciding on a stock. I am interested in Magpul's storage type, but am not sure if they are a better idea than they are practical. Does anybody have experience with these or something comparable? I like multiple position stocks. I will be back here alot I am sure because of the experience I've seen here. Thanks for any help! Also, I am deciphering uppers and I am thinking about AR15performance.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wallyiv

There are so many different options from all manufacturers! I haven't seen that one yet. It looks nice, and after looking around others have commented about the cheek weld also. I understand Magpul has a friction lock that stabalizes the stock so it won't rattle or move. I can't stand how my stock on my mossberg moves and have seen those stocks as pretty standard. Does the RRA rattle? If not that would be great. Thanks for the link JeffSig!

You have to figure out what you're gonna use the rifle for. Is it a 16" carbine or 20" rifle? Is it for target shooting or "crowd control"? Will you be using it with different thickness clothes or only warm weather from the bench.

I have one of the RRA stocks that Jeff talks about above on my AR-10 and love it. But this is a long distance rifle. I'm in the middle of a AR-15 build but haven't bought the stock yet. This will be a 20" all around rifle that I'll share with my older kids, so currently I'm looking to the MagPul MOE or ACS for variable LOP and decent cheekweld.

Charlie

Guest wallyiv

Thanks for the replies!

It is going to be 16" it is going to get most of it's use at the range but this is going to be my "crowd control". I like that term. I won't be shooting farther than 300 yards. I finally decided to stick with the 5.56 round so i thought the rest would be easy...not so much.

Check this out for comparisons - http://www.ar15.com/...ouand_34__.html

I love having a sizeable cheekweld. The LMT SOPMOD (or its new cheaper contract clone, the B5 SOPMOD) is great for this. The VLTOR IMOD/EMOD is also great but because of the seam on the cheekpieces, people with beards complain that it pulls hair. The Magpul ACS is another option as well. Slightly different shape but has more storage, is just as strong as the Vltor and LMT, and has a good cheekweld and is lighter in weight.

I'm personally thinking of getting an EMOD or the ACS for my next stock (currently have the LMT)

Don't forget about the buffer system. carbine vs heavy weight, etc. Vltor has a new extended buffer tube (called the A5) with a special spring and buffer weight and is GREAT for smooth recoil control. I think it is optimized for 16-20" barrels but somebody else can correct me on that. They just recently released new buffer weights for the shorter barrel options I believe.

Edited by PolePosition
  • 1 month later...

Don't be scared away from actually building it. The lower is real easy, all you need are a few punches (some roll pin punches help) and butt stock wrench. It's easier than putting some of my kids toys together. As for the upper, I haven't picked up all the tools I need for that yet, which is really only a few but I haven't gotten around to it. I will give it a shot soon though. Good luck.