Canada Officially Ends Long-Gun Registration

Guest Lester Weevils

Most canadians I work with do not own guns and do not like what they term a "gun culture". They are real nice folks but just not interested in firearms. The fellas I know are a small sample of course but dunno what would make the sample un-representative.

Strangely enough, as best I could tell they were against the long-gun registry "on principle" or whatever, even though they didn't own guns and didn't want any. They would describe the registry as expensive, of little utility, and unnecessary hassle for rural folk who actually need guns day to day.

Well maybe the folks I know are at least slightly unrepresentative. Otherwise the registry would have been gone long ago. Been several years since I aked em about it, but they were against the registry from day one. They explained that many "First Nations" indians and inuit had been boycotting registration, many rural folk had been boycotting registration, and some provinces had flatly refused to implement the law. I never studied the issue. That is just what they would tell me about it even years ago.

Edited by Lester Weevils

Guess I should chime in here. A lot of Canadians have no problems with owning rifles and shotguns for hunting or even target shooting, but a lot have problems with handguns and don't see the need. Myself, I love them all and when I got my green card, one of the first things I did was buy my XD, and one of the next things I did was get my HCP. A couple of friends back home were a little shocked to learn that not only could I carry a handgun, I did regularly. It's just not part of the culture. When I first moved to TN I had no idea that an ordinary citizen could carry a gun...a very pleasant surprise.

The long gun registry has been a complete failure in every aspect. The biggest thing had to do with the cost. When the Liberal gov't put it in, they told the public it would cost 2 million dollars to implement. It ended up being 2 BILLION dollars. And all the guns were still not registered. I'm glad it will be gone. Now if they would just remove all the licencing required to buy a firearm and removed handguns as a restricted weapon. Sadly, I don't see that happening though.

Most canadians I work with do not own guns and do not like what they term a "gun culture". They are real nice folks but just not interested in firearms. The fellas I know are a small sample of course but dunno what would make the sample un-representative.

Guess I should chime in here. A lot of Canadians have no problems with owning rifles and shotguns for hunting or even target shooting, but a lot have problems with handguns and don't see the need.

You guys should check out Canadian Robin Scherbatsky on the TV show "How I Met Your Mother". She packs all kinds of handguns! AND she's hot!

Edited by mcurrier

It's a shame that our government and our people can't take a hint from the Canadians. You go through all this stupidity with the gun registration, spend billions, inconvenience everybody, tread on the dignity of the people, find out it DOESN'T STOP CRIME ONE DAMN BIT, and then have to spend years and years trying to back the law out, with the liberals fighting it every step of the way. Tragic, and stupid. I'm wondering how long it is going to take for the Brits and the Aussies to back out of the stupidity, and I wonder if the U.S. of A. is going to avoid going down such a stupid path or run in the other direction.

• Like 1

It's a shame that our government and our people can't take a hint from the Canadians. You go through all this stupidity with the gun registration, spend billions, inconvenience everybody, tread on the dignity of the people, find out it DOESN'T STOP CRIME ONE DAMN BIT, and then have to spend years and years trying to back the law out, with the liberals fighting it every step of the way. Tragic, and stupid. I'm wondering how long it is going to take for the Brits and the Aussies to back out of the stupidity, and I wonder if the U.S. of A. is going to avoid going down such a stupid path or run in the other direction.

Some people have a real hard-on for the ways of other more "enlightened" countries. Economics, health care, gun control...what else can we adopt ignoring their obvious failures elsewhere? I always thought the smart person learned from the mistakes of others.