when to let your child start shooting??

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest A10thunderbolt

I let mine start at 6 with a single shot .22, the biggest problem was the weight of the gun. They wont start learning until they start being taught. :usa:

Started my son around 6 years old. 22 rifle is heavy, layed fore stock on a table or bench. Did not take him long, and he could hit bullseye almost every time. Got him a 22 target pistol a few years later. Never looked back. Taught him proper safety, muzzle discipline, breathing, etc. He is 16 now, shoots better than me. Much steadier shooter. Hope to get into IDPA this year. We still shoot BB guns in back yard. He also shoots Airsoft with his friends.

My son started shoting 22's at about age 5 or 6. We would set the gun up and let him slide in behind it and shoot. We would be right there at all times to monitor him and give him feedback. We started him on a bolt action then went to a target 10/22.

Another great thing about exposing your child to firearms at a young age is their novelty wears off. My son was around guns all the time so early on he viewed them as a tool rather than a gun. Even as yound as 8 or 9 we had no problem leaving a gun unsecure in the house because he never got excited about them. Now when he had friends over we secured all guns because most times they showed a lot of interest in the guns.

Dolomite

Guest lostpass

I second the airsoft idea. When I was toying with this idea I bought a cheap airsoft gun and so far the kid just doesn't have enough discipline to shoot a real gun. Glad I tried airsoft first.

I started the oldest grandson out at five years old, I bought him a single shot youth sized rifle. I made him shoot sitting and put a bipod on it. At first I would hand him one bullet at a time. He took right to it, was very careful and accepted any coaching I gave him.

In short order I would just sit the box of bullets down with him, he was always under control. I'd have a rifle too and we would take turns firing. He is nine now and a fine little rifleman.

Another grandson turns five in a few weeks. And no way is he mature enough yet to start shooting. I am hoping by summer time he will grow up just a little.

Every kid is different, they mature at their own rate.

And I totally agree with Dolomite. Expose them at a young age, it takes the curiousity out of it. To this day if either of them want to see a gun I stop what I am doing and show it to them, show them that I make it safe, and let them handle it all they want. Even the little one is not fascinated with them anymore I took the mystery out of it for them. When other kids are around there are no guns where they can get to them, they are locked up or on my hip.

We have BB guns and air soft for them to play with, they know the difference between toys and real firearms.

I was given a pump type pellet gun at age 5. I wasn't allowed to have bb's or pellets unsupervised until I was 7. I got my first .22 for my seventh birthday so the pellet gun was lost to the closet forever. I carried that pellet gun everywhere though. I must have shot (just air) a million times. I got to shoot all the pellets I wanted, but it was loosely supervised. My father would sit ont he patio and read the paper or piddle in the garage while I was shooting. When I got my .22 rifle at 7yrs old, I was allowed to keep it in my room, but I didn't get ammo privileges until i was 10. Looking back, it was all pretty stupid because ammo was never locked up. I just lived under the threat of a beating if I took any without asking.

As to the OP's question...it's very difficult to answer. Some kids are mature far beyond their age. Some need a lot of work to get them where they need to be. Others are idiots from birth on into adulthood. If I had a kid, I'd likely experiment. Give them an inch and watch to see if they try to hang themselves or not. I think I'd take them to a private area to shoot, while teaching them the basics of safety, keep mental notes of how well they apply what you're teaching them and how serious they take it. The more serious they take it, the sooner I'd really begin to trust them. As far exactly what age to let them try it the first time with you there to supervise? I'd say as soon as they want. If your kid is six I say let him do it if he's interested. Stand over him like a guard in a maximum security prison. One round at a time. If he doesn't prove himself to your liking, he'll get over it when you don't take him back for a while.

I gave my 12yo an Airsoft pistol and rifle combo for Christmas last year. I taught him firearm safety, and told him if he obeyed the rules with the airsoft he would get to move up to the "fun stuff."

He took right to them, going so far as to tell me I was pointing the muzzle at him while I was trying to get the silly scope mount off the airsoft pistol.

He's become quite proficient with the .22 Rugers (MkIII and 10/22) and has given the AR a try and loved it.

I agree with what's been said above. You know what's best and when it's time for yours.

I started mine off at 5. I stayed right with him at all times. He's 12 now and doing good. My little at 5 and stay right with Her.I take them alternating trips not at the same time. Both of mine have single shot .22 and practice with a BB gun. I would sayit depends on the child's concentration/behavior at what age to start. I have seen other children at 10 and older that scare me.

Now gun safety I started as sonn as possible.

Edited by R1100R