walmart 223

Well, I don't claim any of the steel case is gonna be a perfectly reliable out of close tolerance gun as copper. After all, ARs ain't sloppy Aks. :)

But most folks can run it with no probs or very widely spaced one.

I've got 2 Mini14s that seem to eat anything, but even there I've had two stuck cases, months apart. Both were polymer steel, too, even though I shoot a good deal of the old lacquer stuff through them too (which of course is supposed to be death knell stuff). Both cases looked perfectly normal. Go figger. Course, with a mini, you just have to tap on the charging handle with something that doesn't chew it up to free them, or give 'em the ole Garand Stomp.

Just got an AR recently (the SW Sport) and test run was 200+ rounds, in which I started with brass, then poly steel, then lacquer steel, then back to brass. No worries. And I didn't clean chamber/bore before letting it rip either, just made sure CLP was spitting off the bolt. :)

The more typical experience is ala Rgaper and LumberJack in this thread. Hell, not just everyone that does Three Gun and whatnot could even afford to do it as much as they do without the Russian stuff.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes, I guess I need to get my Colt checked out by a gunsmith. That or it was ####ty ammo. I'm feeling lazy. ^_^

If it shoots brass fine after you clean the lacquer and carbon out, I wouldn’t worry about it. The tighter machining tolerances of most AR’s are designed around using clean brass, not coated steel. I wouldn’t have the chamber modified to run coated steel unless it’s just a plinker dedicated for that purpose.

Lacquer and polymer coated steel was made to run in AK’s and SKS’s. Somewhere along the line they found that people will buy it in .223 simply because it’s cheap.

Any ideas on how to get the Tula working reliably in my AR?

Yes, but do you really want to do that to a Colt AR?

Edited by DaveTN
Guest ThePunisher

Yep, Wal-Mart has gone up on their AE .223 ammo from $5.97 that I last bought before Christmas to finally finding it again for $6.97. The clerk said they get new shipments about every 2 wks, but it sells very quick. The $5.97 price was the cheapest I had ever found in stores or LGS. Last year at Dick's, Remmington .223 was selling for $6.98 per 20 rd. box, and now they are selling it for $7.98. Looks like ammo prices will only increase as long as Obumer is in WH.

Guest canebreaker

Now you all need to plan a vacation and visite me. Bring the extra money to pay for the trip and buy the ammo you need here.7% tax local. I buy from midsouth, wideners and natchez without the TN tax. I have an extra house, 1 room, 1 Queen bed, bathroom with shower, kitchen, extra bed if needed for 200. per week. I don't scam. I don't want or need your money, but the 200. Set your address to mine and order. Place your order, plan trip, pick up order and cancel card. Lot of things to do while in the memphis area. Plan a day shooting at my outdoor range or crappie fish. Or a day at different walmarts, because not all walmarts have the same items or the same price

Edited by canebreaker