K-town newbie

Guest Boomhower

Guest Boomhower

Hello to all,

Just thought I'd stop in and intro. myself. I ran across this site while viewing another forum tonight. Great stuff here guys. I'm new to the CCW scene, and my knowledge of firearms is pretty limited, but it looks like you all have that covered in here. I'll be spending the next few nights reading. I know my wife will be pleased to hear this.;)

I currently own a Cobra .380, but haven't been very pleased with it. My father bought it for me close to 5 yrs. ago, and I've only shot it a handful of times. It always jams after about the 3rd shot. I don't know if it's the lack of no break in, or the dummy at the wheel (refer to the above comment).

I was in Gander Mtn. yesterday evening and the SA XD-40 cal. sub-compact really cought my attention. I loved the look, the feel, and the thought of the extra grip handle safety and the trigger safety over the Glock's trigger safety. I'm looking for a good carring weapon, so it probably will not be a Glock for that fact. Just don't know what yet. I've got a lot of reading to do.

I'm sure we'll be talking soon,

Boomhower

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdog

Howdy Boomhower

How dare you pick on my glock!

Hey just funnin with ya, a man needs to carry what he feels the most comfy with. Take your time shoot as many guns as you can find, and then decide if you can carry it every day in comfort.

Don't rush into anything.

Once again welcome aboard.

Guest Boomhower
Take your time shoot as many guns as you can find, and then decide if you can carry it every day in comfort.

That's another thing that I've wondered. Are there places that you can test drive, so to speak?

Guest db99wj

Yes, many ranges offer guns to rent. I don't want to assume your area, but the members here are from all sides of the state so should be able to give you some ideas.

Sorry, that was my best King of the Hill impersonation, Itellyawhat.

Guest Phantom6

Greetings Boomhower,

Wander around, find a comfortable spot, put your feet up, make sure there is no ammunition or a firearm within reach, kick back and have a cool one. Summer is here.;)

BTW, pay no attention to db99wj. He was dropped on his head from the back of a turnip truck as a child.;)

Guest db99wj
Greetings Boomhower,

Wander around, find a comfortable spot, put your feet up, make sure there is no ammunition or a firearm within reach, kick back and have a cool one. Summer is here.:)

BTW, pay no attention to db99wj. He was dropped on his head from the back of a turnip truck as a child.;)

Hey, I resemble that remark and actually It was a 1977 bronco, I was sitting on the door with the window down and fell out!!!;)

Guest Boomhower
Yes, many ranges offer guns to rent. I don't want to assume your area, but the members here are from all sides of the state so should be able to give you some ideas.

Sorry, that was my best King of the Hill impersonation, Itellyawhat.

I've yet to go to one of 'emdangoleplaces.....Knoxville is where I live, and we only have a few public places that I know of. Coal Creek Armory being the biggest I think. I've been trying to go for a while, just can't get anybody to commit to a day. I don't know if they have guns for rent or not. I'll have to check into that. BTW, would you really be able to judge how well a gun shot after others have used it. I guess you would, but I don't want to go and try one out, and then make my decision based off of a used gun that someone else could have abused.

Guest Boomhower
Greetings Boomhower,

Wander around, find a comfortable spot, put your feet up, make sure there is no ammunition or a firearm within reach, kick back and have a cool one. Summer is here.;)

Seems like everyone here has a good sense of humor. I've been on other forums that people just can't stand it when you crack a joke on them. And let's not even get into disagreeing on something. Seems that people can't agree to disagree anymore. Hopefully having a bunch of "good ole boys" to talk to, maybe I'll find pieceable conversation.

Guest db99wj

Go Vols!!

Well the main thing you would want to check out is how it feels to you, is it comfortable, is the recoil what you expect and can live with (you might get a 45 and decide that a 9mm is better for you because of the recoil), narrow it down to a few choices than ask about the ones you are interested in if you have any other types of questions. You might pick up one and think this is awful, than again you could pick one up and it feels great. I'm sure others will chime in, but that is my opinion.

G'night.

Guest Phantom6

Boomhower wrote:

I've yet to go to one of 'emdangoleplaces.....Knoxville is where I live, and we only have a few public places that I know of. Coal Creek Armory being the biggest I think. I've been trying to go for a while, just can't get anybody to commit to a day. I don't know if they have guns for rent or not. I'll have to check into that. BTW, would you really be able to judge how well a gun shot after others have used it. I guess you would, but I don't want to go and try one out, and then make my decision based off of a used gun that someone else could have abused.

Coal Creek does rent guns but last I checked the selection was rather limited. I shoot over ther some but prefer to stay on the outdoor ranges as the Coal Creek Armory range tends to be a bit smokey most times I go. If all ten lanes were full that would be somewhat understandable. Think they need work on their vent/filter system.

db99wj wrote:

Hey, I resemble that remark and actually It was a 1977 bronco, I was sitting on the door with the window down and fell out!!!;)

Ouch! Yup, I unintentionally left a 6x6 back in '73. Some idiot (me) didn't see the need to replace the tail gate prior to moving off-road. :doh:The ground broke my fall though. Never knew that dirt could be that hard!

Guest Boomhower
hey phantom6 is there an outdoor range besides the one in norris. I usually go to coal creek.

Where's one at in Norris? I don't live far from Norris and Anderson county area on the knoxville side. I think there's one on Rifle Range Rd. down off of Broadway but I don't know where.

Guest Boomhower
Welcome Boomhower!! I was at Gander Mtn. out there last weekend, man I was drooling to much!

I'm telling ya, they've got the goods. I was a little surprised at how small their pistol selection was though. I thought they'd have a little more. Either way, I say plenty to drool over.

Has anyone ever bought from Gander Mtn? Or priced compared them to other stores? Like I've said before, I'm new to buying and the last thing I want is to get burnt.

Heydisisboomhowerandigotoneofthosegunsthatgobangma anthatscoolshoot.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...you owe me a keyboard Db99J!

that was wrong! but it was funny!

welcome boomhower!

if your little pistol is jamming you might wish to take a dremel, with a polishing wheel and polish the feed ramp...that may help.and you can always put in a new recoil spring as well.

other than that, I would say change the brand of ammunition...it might not like eating what you're feeding it:popcorn:

enjoy the guys here...they're a wealth of information..and quite alot of fun to be around.

some are super serious, some are not so much..but make no mistake..all of us love things that go kaboom!

Guest Phantom6
hey phantom6 is there an outdoor range besides the one in norris. I usually go to coal creek.

There's a few around. Oak Ridge Sportsmans Association is probably about the best all-round. Membership is $120/yr. but you can shoot 365 days per year dawn-dusk (must wait till 12 on Sundays) and lot's of things always going on. Here is an arial shot I made for their website.

ORSA_Air_Map_lg.jpg

I'm a member there and if you'd like to physically scope the place out I'd be happy to meet you sometime and give you the nickel tour.

The John Sevier Hunter Education Center located out on Rifle Range Rd in K-Town is another. Membership required (101/yr.) but range time is somewhat limited (Pistol, rifle, and archery ranges are open on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm and Sundays from 1 pm to 6 pm. Shotgun ranges are open on Saturday and Sunday from 1 pm to 6 pm and Tuesday from 6:30 pm to 10 pm.)

There's supposed to be one over in Louisville called Smoky Mountain Sports Club. Thew address I have is 4286 Miser Station Road there but I don't know a thing about it. As a matter of fact I've never heard anyone say a thing about it.

Hope that helps.

Guest Phantom6

• From I-75 go to the intersection of Hwy. 61, Norris Rd. and US 441 (2nd light after Interstate).
  • Turn Left on Norris Rd.
  • Go North on Norris Road
  • At the circle just south of the Middle School bear Right and travel on Circle Rd. past front of Norris Middle School.
  • Directly ahead of you, you will see the Norris Fire Department/Police Department. You must stop there, fill out a range waiver and pay a fee of $10.00 each. If you wish to you may purchase an annual membership for $25.00). If you have an annual membership you needn't stop there again untill it's time to re-up.
  • Left out of PD parking lot on Reservoir Rd
  • Pass Elementary School on your right.
  • At Red Hill Road turn left
  • Go 25 yds. & turn left on Upper Clear Creek Rd. This will turn to gravel after about 500 yds. Continue on Upper Clear Creek for about ¾ mile + or – and look for Range sign on your right.

Here's a map:

NorrisRange.jpg

Guest dotsun

Welcome Boom,

I just joined the sight this weekend and I think it's pretty awesome, too. In regards to Gander Mountain pricing, I just bought a Glock 26 and priced a few places. Gander was almost $50 higher than the other stores I checked out. All the other shops I called were within ~$10 of each other so it came down to who took the time to help me look and didn't make me feel like I was wasting their time. I'll gladly pay a few bucks more for that kind of service.

Dave