PPK V. PPK/S

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The PPK is the pre-1968 GCA version and the PPK/s the post 1968 GCA version. It all factored into a numbered point's system in order to import smaller "concealable" pistol's.The PPK/s used the larger Walther PP frame in order to be importable while the PPK had a smaller frame. You may recall seeing the PPK being used in the older james Bond movies.

I see... That's the only reason I've ever liked them is from the Bond films. Never shot one, though I plan on it one of these days.

I owned a stainless steel PPK/s and carried it as an OD/BU for a while as well. The PPK was designed and intended to be a 32 ACP but was later chambered as a 380 ACP. You'll find out it is somewhat uncomfortable to shoot in 380 ACP and the slide will cut the web of your hand like a razor. Still, it is one of those pistol's that I believe every shooter should have a chance to handle and shooot.

You'll find out it is somewhat uncomfortable to shoot in 380 ACP and the slide will cut the web of your hand like a razor.

This is especially true if one is shooting "hotter" ammos. The PPK in .380 Auto was originally specified for a 95-grain bullet at 955 fps. The farther away from that, the worse it gets. Having large hands doesn't help, either.

I have a PPK/s in stainless and it is one of my favorites. It is a interarms version. Ii has a nice trigger. In th 70 and 80's this was one of the number one backup guns for police. I have heard of hammer bite for some. I've let quite a few shoot mine and some have even bought one. The pistol is a icon in firearms. It is one of the most copied pistols ever made. As stated it is not for everyone. .380 is about the limit for a straight blow back design. Shoot a kel tec or a lcp for a while. I don't know if I would buy a S&W made PPK since they changed the design. There are better options out there today than the Walther, but it is a piece of history.

Edited by R1100R

I mean that is why it's on my list, but right now I don't have the money to get another pistol (spent it all on my CZ 82 rebuild). In the future though I want to get one. My one problem with the S&W models is that none of them come in black that I noticed, or blued. Personally I'm not a fan of stainless steel handguns. Too shiny for me.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

I mean that is why it's on my list, but right now I don't have the money to get another pistol (spent it all on my CZ 82 rebuild). In the future though I want to get one. My one problem with the S&W models is that none of them come in black that I noticed, or blued. Personally I'm not a fan of stainless steel handguns. Too shiny for me.

They did make a blued model just last year, there are over 800 listings on gunbroker for PPK ,you won't have a problem when you get ready.

Edited by R1100R

They did make a blued model just last year, there are over 800 listings on gunbroker on PPK you won't have a problem when you get ready.

Haha well I'm glad to know that it won't be hard to find. I saw a listing for a Walther PPK made in France after the war. Thought about it but decided against it.

For what it's worth I had an opputunity to view a really nice Walther PP that looked fantastic. It was a 32ACP and in blued steel, one of the nicest post WW II Walther's I've seen in a while. Oddly it's a little larger than most of the so called pocket 9mm pistols on the market now.