Miracle Coating?

I drive an 05 Jeep Wrangler which still has the factory bumpers on it. They are black and fade over a short period of time. I read on a few jeep forums about a product called "plasti-dip". So i found some at Lowe's in a aerosol can. It comes in spray and dip applications. It is a rubber like coating for anything from tools to fenders. If you choose to peel it off, it comes off in one piece similar to latex. There are lots of people who say it is tough stuff. Last week I did the fenders and bumpers on the jeep. Haven't had any wear or bad spots in it yet and it made it look so much better. I just wonder what else it could be used for. Anyone have any experience with plasti-dip? I may find some new projects for it. Here is a before and after. Looks way better. aefc9b5d-0b0d-5f47.jpgaefc9b5d-0b20-9949.jpg

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been thinking about this for a while and may finally get around to trying it on the keel of my canoe where I have a couple of pinhole leaks from scraping waaaaay too many rocks over the years. Everything else I've tried either won't seal the leaks or won't hold up to the admittedly rough treatment I put it through.

:up:

I will keep y'all up to date. It's been on about 10 days now and no wear. The only prepping I did was just wipe the mud off haha. My friend did the front and rear bumper on his 2000 ford ranger. Some of the factory paint had been peeling. It's been on 4-5 months now. That's why I did mine, I saw how good it looked on his truck.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx

I have been using that stuff for many years now as sound damping on car restorations in places that I can not get dynamat into. They also sell plastidip in gallon cans to use for things like dipping tool handles and other industrial uses. Works best if use a scotchbrite pad and scuff up the surface. On exterior items if not prepped well you end up being able to peel it off like a rubber glove. They do sell in other colors also. And have many uses.

Found some other stuff at Lowe's called "Home Armour Flexible Sealer" that I decided to try on the keel of my canoe. Besides being a little cheaper than the aerosol Plasti-dip, it's designed more for external outdoor uses (sealing rain gutters, etc...) Once it dries I'm going to mask off a slightly wider area and over spray the Flexible Sealer stuff with a spray-on pickup bed coating for some added abrasion protection.

I like the clear coat idea and if drag was much of a consideration, I'd probably give it a shot, but for right now all I want to do is stop the leak and hopefully keep it from recurring.

Thanks for the thread, GDT, you finally forced me to get off my butt and use some brain cells to fix the darn thing!

:up: :up:

Guest Broomhead

That stuff is great. Works good on gun grips, knife handles, and, if you sprinkle sand between coats, it can be used as a stair tread traction. I'd recommend getting the spray kind.

I need to pick up a couple cans now that you've mentioned it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk