Going to Maine

daddyo

You didn't say where in Maine you were headed... The L.L. BEAN store in Freeport is amazing (open 24 hours as I recall). Acadia national park is also a treasure. And the oceanside steamed lobster in bar harbor is quite delicious.

----

Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft (SIG) P6 /// Ruger Target 10/22

Definitely check out the Bar Harbor area, Old Orchard Beach and Kittery Outlets. The ride up Route 1 thru all the coastal villages is photo opportunity galore. Other than that it is all pine trees. Maine is a great place to be FROM. I should know I was born and raised there.

Edited by herr.baer
  • Like 1

Went to Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, PEI, Nova Scotia and Pennsylvania Amish country in 2009 (took 4.5 weeks).

In Maine liked the Ogunquit, Maine area on the lower end of the state. The Juniper Hill Inn in Ogunquit is an older motel that has been fixed up very nicely (we stayed there both coming and going). If in the Ogunquit area must sees are the Cape Neddick Lighthouse and the Kittery Trading Post store in Kittery. KTP has a lot of guns and other items. It is part of the Kittery, ME outlet mall. A good breakfast restaurant is Congdon's Bakery and Restaurant just up the road in Wells, ME. Get there early as they are very busy.

Between Ogunquit and Portland, ME you will find a Cabelas at Scarbourough, ME.

In Portland, ME the waterfront is a tourist area with shops, restaurants, whale tours and harbor tours. The harbor tour takes you out to the mouth of the harbor where you can see the Portland Head Lighthouse (its image is on a lot of advertising), the remnants of Revolutionary War forts, all kinds of boats and other lighthouses. Be aware that parking is at a premium at the waterfront and is expensive.

We went to Freeport, Me and the L.L. Bean store(s). Impressive but no bargains. Didn't buy anything but an lobster roll.

On highway 1 heading north be sure and stop at the Maine Prison Store in Thomaston (on the right heading north). Locally made items (including souvenirs) made in the Maine Prisons at very reasonable prices. Check out the wood sculpture in the window. Once my wife got over having her money for purchases taken by a prison guard while her pruchases were wrapped and bagged by a prisoner she loved the place (went back heading south).

Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are beautiful areas. Cruise ships from Europe and ones crusing the Atlantic coast use this as a port of call. Twelve ships were scheduled to be in port the week we were in Bar Harbor. Another fixed up motel that is very relaxing and nice is the Bar Harbor Motel. Very spacious rooms and you park right by the door. The best place to eat breakfast in town is Jordan's Restaurant on Cottage Street. I loved their lobster omletes and blueberry pancakes. A good local restaurant is The Chart Room on the main road into Bar Harbor.

If you should get as far north as Lubec, ME be sure and visit Franklin Roosevelt's summer retreat on Campobello Island. Just be aware it is on a Canadian Island and will require a passport to get there and come back.

Have a great trip, eat a lot of lobster, see a lot of lighthouses and be sure and take some change for the toll booths on the Maine interstate.

Guest RobThatsMe

Definitely check out the Bar Harbor area, Old Orchard Beach and Kittery Outlets. The ride up Route 1 thru all the coastal villages is photo opportunity galore. Other than that it is all pine trees. Maine is a great place to be FROM. I should know I was born and raised there.

I also lived in Maine for a while, in the lake region, near Sebago Lake.

I agree with herr.baer. Maine's coast is beautiful. Traveling up Route 1, and for the longer drives Take I-95 then cut back over to Rt-1 and the coast. Bar Harbor, Arcadia National Park, Casco, Cape Elizabeth Light House. If you cut inland, you can get to some mountains, and lakes.

Here is a web site that may give you some ideas.

http://www.visitmaine.com/seasons/

Hope you have a great visit there, as to what to eat... Seafood! Lobster for sure!!

Rob

Maine is kind of like East TN on the ocean. You have the best of both worlds, mountains and ocean. LL Bean is a must....best. store. ever. If you are an outdoorsy type, the hiking is first class and the lighthouses are amazing. As far as food goes, I would recommend any mom-and-pop seafood place, especially on the water.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2