Arsenal ak

johnboy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>

Does anyone have any experience with Arsenal ak's?A friend of mine has one for sale and was thinking about buying it.
What model and what is he asking?I just bought an Arsenal SGL21 took it out to the range and the accuracy was horrible! Took it back to the shop I got it from and they sent it back to Arsenal. I'm still waiting on it back.Get on YouTube and look up Cory07ink. He has a ton of Arsenal videos and seems to know a lot about them! Edited by TLRMADE

I had an SGL61 with the MI railed hand guards, I thoroughly enjoyed it, sold it for more than I paid for it and bought a WASR to beat around with. The Arsenal was a much nicer fit and finish gun than the WASR. However they were both accurate.

I got out of the AKs and into the ARs.

I had an SGL61 with the MI railed hand guards, I thoroughly enjoyed it, sold it for more than I paid for it and bought a WASR to beat around with. The Arsenal was a much nicer fit and finish gun than the WASR. However they were both accurate.

I got out of the AKs and into the ARs.

pretty much this they both accomplish the same thing as far as reliability and accuracy the New WASRs are good rifles, for 500 you cant beat them a Arsenal is not worth 500 more IMO thats just my 2 cents

pretty much this they both accomplish the same thing as far as reliability and accuracy the New WASRs are good rifles, for 500 you cant beat them a Arsenal is not worth 500 more IMO thats just my 2 cents

Good thing they dont cost $500 more then...

Arsenals are excellent guns I have had 4 and currently have 3, sgl21's and sgl31's. Mine are extremely accurate, as a matter of fact the reason I got rid of one of my SGL21's is because a good friend of mine shot it and offered to trade me his LNIB Ruger SR-556c with a Timney Trigger,and a Surfire scout light on it even, funny thing is I kind of regret trading.

Arsenal is in the top bracket as far as AKs go. They make some of the better AKs out there. They are way too pricey IMO, then again gun prices are all over the place these days.

Edited by mk19

YMMV but I bought a Saiga (5.45) for <$400, did the conversion for about $200 and have a rifle that I built.

I went to Tactical Response ran my AK-74 for 2 days and I shot more that 1500 rounds without cleaning or lubricating it and I had zero malfunctions. While the AR guys had numerous malfuctions both days.

Guest The Dude

i got this from the saiga 12 forum. the full thread can be seen here. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/70376-arsenal-sgl-21-has-mil-spec-barrel/

" The way it was explained to me by people who have been to Izhmash and seen first hand is that Legion uses parts built on the military assembly line including barrels. Saiga sporters are built in a different part of Izhmash on the civilian assembly line.

At Izhmash nothing is milspec until the rifle has been accepted for service in a military order, when it is random testing has to prove it's built to specs and is GTG. In order to be able to pass random testing all the parts naturally have to be what we would consider milspec. Sporters OTOH do not get the same QC applied to them because they will not be going into military service...they aren't rejects, they just aren't held to the standard that the military would accept. Since Legions are built on the military side of the house it stands to reason they would have higher quality parts than the sporters.

Personally I haven't been there to see for myself and can't say for sure. However guys like Chris Butler are well respected in the AK industry, he's one of the top builders and is in a very select few that can do perfect clones of the AK103. There are a number of different people that have told me the same thing...some Russians that are well connected and have been there, some Americans that are well connected and been there too and guys like Chris Butler who make a living on knowing the details of these rifles. Again I haven't seen for myself but I have to think the quality on a Legion is more than Arsenal marketing hype, the people that have seen this stuff first hand aren't the kind of people that need to feel good about the money they spent on their precious SGL, they are the kind of people that have to have the exact match to what Izhmash builds.

So in this case where I haven't been there to see it first hand I have to consider the information I do know. People that have excellent credibility have told me there is more to the Legion than marketing hype, I tend to think that makes sense rather than the purely cynical view that Arsenal is just trying to sell more guns. The argument is tricky...it boils down to people who know absolutely nothing about guys like Chris Butler, Legion or Izhmash and who insist that SGL's are just converted Saiga's without having any solid facts. The same people also use the argument that people who buy SGL's are just trying to justify the stupid price they paid for them. The other side of the argument is a number of people in the business that seem to know what's going on the inside of Izhmash and have been there to see in person.

As for me, in general I tend to side with people that have some first hand knowledge vs those who have none. In this case I'm still on the fence on a final decision...I tend to believe there is more to the Legion than just a converted sporter but I won't say it's fact until I personally know for sure. All I'm pointing out here is that people that know nothing are usually the loudest ones saying Legions are the same as everything else. They could be, but some sharp people in the biz seem to think differently and to me that's worth considering."

Yeah AK prices are getting crazy. . I have a Pre ban polytech sidefolder and I do love it. . but I would never consider paying what some people are for one. . I even considered selling mine and buying a Mak 90 just to harvest the financial wind fall on the preban gun. .