Buds or Robertson Trading Post for Sig P228

runco

Need some guidance folks. I want to buy a Sig P228, I have waited patiently now for 2+ months for one to show up either on the classifieds or by chance at a gun show. No luck so far. So I have decided to buy either a Buds Sig P228 CPO w/2 mags or one of the P228 w/1 mag that Robertson Trading Post has on Guns America. The gun purpose would likely be a keeper, shooter, and carry rotation. If I buy from Robertson's, I will likely buy cheap and I am skilled enough to finish the gun myself and I will buy a parts kit. If I buy from Buds, its a CPO. I just call Buds to ask some questions, the young guy on the phone was not much help. I know what a CPO is, but he could not tell me. I wanted to know if the barell, slide and frame matched (kinda of important to me, not sure why). He said he couldn't help. I talked to Robertson's, lots of phone help, and their barrels, slide and frame matches, and they have good picutres reflecting what they are selling on GunsAmerica. So I can pick and choose what I want. Cost is not much of a factor but is a factor to consider. Buds cost $579 + 3% CC fee = $596 delivered to my FFL. Robertson's cheaper version is $469 gun +$10 shipping, and no extra for CC, but must charge TN sales Tax since they are in Tennessee and I am too, so $525 deliverd to my FFL. Is it worth the $71 difference between a CPO and a "police trade in" gun? Since Buds comes with one more mag, allowing $25 for the mag, so I guess its more of a $46 question? The parts kit that I would have to buy would be ~$20, so now I guess its more of $26 question. So I guess it boils down to is it worth $26 to have an all matching gun that I have to gunkote fully restore (fun) vs. likely a non-matching gun but is a Sig CPO. Guys I think I have answered my own question now, but I still would like your input. Buds experience, Robertsons experience, good decision, bad decision, or should I wait for a local situation, that kinda of direction. As always, TGO members give great advice and I do listen and use the advice!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to know if the barell, slide and frame matched (kinda of important to me, not sure why). He said he couldn't help. I talked to Robertson's, lots of phone help, and their barrels, slide and frame matches, and they have good picutres reflecting what they are selling on GunsAmerica.

Matching as in the original gun? I’m curious to know how anyone could know that.

I bought from Robertson's a few months ago. I purchased a corrections trade in revolver and liked the detailed pictures they have on Guns America. When I called to make credit card payment, I asked to buy a new set of grips and was told they would ship with the gun. I picked up the gun from my ffl and noticed no grips were in the box. I guess that distracted me from paying closer inspection to the weapon. When I got home, I discovered they sent me the wrong gun. The gun they shipped me had numerous aftermarket engravings which is exactly what I didn't want. It turned out they picked up the wrong stock number (5445 instead of 5545) and I have no idea why the grips didn't come. (They never charged me and l found the same grips online for a better price so I didn't make an issue of it.) They did take steps to correct the mistake, and a week later I had the right gun. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't done right the first time, but happy they corrected their mistake without me having to scream and fight. I guess if I found something I wanted, I'd use them again but check more closely before accepting delivery.

Edited by diablo982
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest MrJohnson38392

I do not live far from Robertsons and have bought from them before.Seem to be good folks and know about what they are selling.

• 3 months later...
Guest daddyseal

I have bought and trading many great firearms from Robertsons.

John Robertson has become a good friend over that time.

For me, I'll always choose them.

Fine, Honorable people and business~!!

Guest rockytop

Will Robertsons sell in person or Online only?

They are not that far from me,might be a fun trip to check em out

Robertsons has closed to "walk-in" traffic. Apparently internet sales only. I have heard that they will accept "in-store customers" by appointment only.

Have you tried Summit?

I have purchased several trade ins from summit and always came out better than i thought I would. Been to buds store in Lexington and was impressed with a couple of sales people but just as many weren't exactly knowledgable or helpful for that matter.