Ak74 Reassembly problem

Today i disassembled my Polish tantal and replaced the folding wire stock with a plum Bulgy stock, after i got it all put back together i chambered a round and noticed the bolt would not completely chamber it, it would stop about a half inch from it ... What is the problem did i do something wrong in the reassembly process once again this was my first time doing this

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, this is a stupid question, but in changing out the stock you didn't drop something smaller than the chamber but big enough to hang on the bore did you? A screw or something? Make sure nothing is in the pipe.

Okay, this is a stupid question, but in changing out the stock you didn't drop something smaller than the chamber but big enough to hang on the bore did you? A screw or something? Make sure nothing is in the pipe.

not a stupid question knowing me i could have , so i checked there was nothing there..... i just took it back a part i guess i will have to have someone knowledgeable of the weapon show me how to properly disassemble and reassemble it, i know its easy but im one of those people who have to be shown instead of watching it on a video

Edited by TN Outlaw

Inside the receiver, just under the ejection port. It is literally just above the magazine well. There is a rail that the bolt rides on. Make sure it is straight. If it is bent and drops down, which is possible, it will allow the locking lugs on the bolt to turn too soon and contact the front trunion.

I had this issue with my AK. I have a feeling that is why I picked it up so cheap. It baffled me for over a year. I had no idea how to fix it. I tried new magazines, and almost resorted to filing the front trunion down. Then one day after a thorough tear down after a very upsetting range trip, I realized that the one rail piece was kinda bent. l straightened it, and I'll be damned, the rifle at another thousand rounds without a hiccup after that.

So, check your bolt, it is contacting your front trunion. Make sure your rails are straight.

Inside the receiver, just under the ejection port. It is literally just above the magazine well. There is a rail that the bolt rides on. Make sure it is straight. If it is bent and drops down, which is possible, it will allow the locking lugs on the bolt to turn too soon and contact the front trunion.

I had this issue with my AK. I have a feeling that is why I picked it up so cheap. It baffled me for over a year. I had no idea how to fix it. I tried new magazines, and almost resorted to filing the front trunion down. Then one day after a thorough tear down after a very upsetting range trip, I realized that the one rail piece was kinda bent. l straightened it, and I'll be damned, the rifle at another thousand rounds without a hiccup after that.

So, check your bolt, it is contacting your front trunion. Make sure your rails are straight.

this could be the problem i finally pushed the bullet in there then closed the bolt and it would not fire im thinking i have it in wrong maybe

this could be the problem i finally pushed the bullet in there then closed the bolt and it would not fire im thinking i have it in wrong maybe

So you DID get the bolt to close? I was beginning to wonder if you were putting a 7,62mm in there instead of 5,45mm :rofl:

So you DID get the bolt to close? I was beginning to wonder if you were putting a 7,62mm in there instead of 5,45mm :rofl:

Lol that would have been funny but no i think i just reassembled it wrong ill try to tackle it again tomorrow

The first thing to check is the screw that holds the stock in place directly under the spring retainer. If the screw is not flush it will bind the spring and affect the bolt. Then I would look at the firing pin extracter piece that fits into the bolt carrier. the lug should be in the groove. I hope it works out for you.

I like this idea, if you are referring to the ejector. Check that "tab" looking protrusion on the left inside the receiver it should be flat and smooth.

BTW, never let the hammer drop on an AK without the bolt and carrier in place as the hammer will beat the ejector mercilessly.

BTW, never let the hammer drop on an AK without the bolt and carrier in place as the hammer will beat the ejector mercilessly.

i think this could be what i done if its the case how do i fix it?

Edited by TN Outlaw

With or without a magazine?

Something is catching, and causing the locking lugs to rotate and catch the front trunion.

Take the dustcover off, while it is stuck. Look on the left side looking up the rifle as if you were going to fire it. The locking lug is catching just a hair on the front trunion.

With the magazine in, it puts the pressure on the bottom of the bolt, causing it to rotate early.

Refer to my earlier posts. This is the exact same issue I had with my WASR that drove me batty for almost a year. Mine was due to a bent rail. On the right side just above the mag well. The rail is attached at the rear of the rail, allowing it to bend. The bolt rides on this. If it is bent, when the magazine is inserted the bolt will rotate early, and catch a lug on the front trunnion.