New To Shotguns, Before I Buy My First

hazmatt

How the deuce do they get 7 rounds in that tube? It's 18" just like my 870 and my tube also goes all the way to end of barrel too, but only holds 6.

Actually mine is 18.5" and tube goes to end of it, even!! Seems like some sort of magic there.

- OS

The tube on the 1300D is actually 18.5" ... it extends deeper into the receiver than the barrel. And, a 2 3/4 shell is considerably shorter than 2 3/4". 2 3/4 is the length of the uncrimped shell. The Federal LE132 00 I keep loaded in the 1300 measures ~ 2 3/8" (crimped). 7 x 2.375 = 16.625", which leaves almost 2" for the spring and follower. I suspect the the 870 uses a longer follower and/or a stronger less compressible spring.

Edited by 10P8TRIOT
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tube on the 1300D is actually 18.5" ... it extends deeper into the receiver than the barrel. And, a 2 3/4 shell is considerably shorter than 2 3/4". The Federal LE132 00 I keep loaded in the 1300 measures ~ 2 3/8". 7 x 2.375 = 16.625".

Yeah, thanks, I understand the shell length -- the difference must indeed be in way tube/receiver is joined, lifter or something, somehow yours is able to get that little bit of extra room compared to my 870 Synthetic 7 Round (6+1) Pretty nifty, I must say.

Remington-Model-870-Express-Synthetic-7-Round-97489705a0b0780bf973d61344536c58a-thumb-0-0.png

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

10P8TRIOT, I like that light mount, front sight, and corn cob for grip.

Thanks. I really like the clean lines and the light weight (1.6 oz) of the CDM Gear light mount. I got mine here. It's also available on Amazon. Other than the light and the mount, the 1300D is 100% stock.

Edited by 10P8TRIOT
  • 1 month later...
Guest robin.kempton

I bought a Remmington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical and I absolutely enjoy shooting it. If I had read the directions a little more clearly I would have disassembled the weapon before taking it to the range the first time. They come with little to no oil in its workings. Once I did that it worked beautifully...it will shoot and handle anything I put through her and the soft cell built into the stock is a life saver, you can shoot it all day. It handles the heavy loads with very little effort. I'd reccomend it to anyone that asks. It takes a little while to get used to the way it looks but I will tell you that it gets a lot of attention at the range (it looks mean).

I purchased a Maverick 88 this spring at Academy Sports in Knoxville...including tax and background check it was just over $200. I was back in there last week and noticed they still have them for around $187 or so. I fired it for the first time a couple of weeks ago - I had put a Hogue pistol grip on it and could not hit squat. I had a "for sale" sign at about 10 yards and was shooting above and below it - just hit it maybe one time. Yesterday I took the Maverick 88 apart and cleaned it thoroughly for the first time and put the original stock back on. Overall, I'm impressed with the gun and it gets very good reviews on the various web sites and I would also give it a good review (as I am doing now). For $200 you can't beat it. I have owned a Mossberg 500 (Persuader) in the past and traded it, which was a mistake - it was also a great gun. And I would like purchase a few additional shotguns in the future (870, 590A1), but I'm thinking at this point that the pistol grips are a fad and I'll never put one on another shotgun. It just isn't practical for me and would take a lot of practice. And don't hesitate about the Maverick 88 - it is a great gun for a great price. Best wishes, B

I recommend buying a hunting/sporting shotgun. One that you can hunt with and shoot clays with. I see a lot of people buying these "tactical" shotguns that are truely POS and they are not good at shooting clays or hunting game. You buy a nice sporting shotgun that shoots well and you can use it for home defense too. You have a higher chance of being struck by lightning than having to defend your home with a shotgun so you may as well get one that will hunt.

REM26927_1.jpg

Edited by Will Carry

Well Will, I own several shotguns most of which are for hunting, one of which is for HD but you are essentially correct, any one of my shotguns could be used to defend my home against an intruder, but it is sort of difficult to swing a 28" barrel around inside of a dwelling, limiting your ability to search/clear with one like that.

But HD shotguns can also be used for hunting, typically their shorter barrels & wider chokes are not ideal for launching a nice tight pattern of pellets at long ranges but with the proper shell load they can successfully take any game any other shotgun can, they just wont be ideal for doing so.

Sort of like using a crappie pole for catfishing, it will still catch catfish even if it was designed for catching crappies.

• 1 month later...
Guest robin.kempton

You are very correct sir, any shotgun can and will serve as a home defense weapon but as stated above....when doing CQB its just more efficient with a weapon that has way less than a 28 inch barrel. The great thing about shotguns is the fact that once a perp hears the slide rack a round in the chamber, there is absolutely no way that person doesn't understand that their life is about to come to a screetching halt and that they need to look for a new line of work. With the proper choke you can do just about anything with these tactical shotguns...but it does look funny when you show up to shoot clays with something that mean and ugly....... :ugh:

Edited by robin.kempton

I'm a little late to this party, but I don't think a 20 inch barrel will have enough reach for most clay shooting. It might work with skeet but trap will most probably be out of reach.

There is a great solution for this problem. Buy 2 shotguns. :pleased: