New To Shotguns, Before I Buy My First

hazmatt

I've been wanting a 20" with 7+1 too. I can't find one I like in my price range.

Ain't the 500A's w/ 20 inch barrels still pretty cheap? I picked up mine a long time ago but I can't imagine finding one under 300 would be hard.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No experience but I don't think shooting shot out of a rifled barrel would be a good idea. However my guess is a cylinder barrel would be fine for shot but would like to get confirmation on that. From the looks of things a 20" HS bbl is the same price as the 24" (non rifled bbl) so I may start w/ a 20" HS gun and add the 24-26" bbl if needed later. Will see, still researching. Thanks.

Edit: Looking at the Mossberg 500 Persuader #50577 in 20" (non pistol grip) 8 rnd (don't need that but don't see a 6 rnd.)

One thing to keep in mind...if you buy a 20" barrel with the extended tube mag, you may have problems attaching a longer barrel. It depends on the gun, some will require you to change out the mag tube in order to change out the barrel. If this is the case, it may be cheaper to buy 2 separate shotguns, than it would be to buy 1 gun with 2 mags and 2 barrels.

Mossbergs also have dual extractors, so it takes a bit more force when working the action to kick out the spent shell verses Remington's single extractor, making the action on the Mossbergs feel a bit more clunky.

Do the Mavericks have dual extractors?

Guest motonut

I've been wanting a 20" with 7+1 too. I can't find one I like in my price range.

I'm seeing the Mossberg 500 Persuader #50577 or 50579 on GunBroker for under $300 (not counting s&h), Bud's has them for ~$325 shipped.

I am not sure if the Mossberg Mavericks have dual extractors or not, but I do know that the 500 & 590 series feature dual extractors.

I was a Remington 870 guy for a lot of years until about 12 years ago when my wife bought me a Mossberg 500 for Christmas, my initial impressions were very similar, ie it didnt feel as refined as the Remingtons do and I was (at first) just using it to make her happy, but the more I shot it the more I liked it, soon after I started selling off and trading my Remingtons for Mossbergs, my sole remaining 870 now only comes out of the safe to get oiled or to be used as a loaner shotgun, but it too will eventually be sold or traded off for another Mossberg.

Dont get me wrong though, I still like Remingtons & I think that they are good shotguns, I just like the Mossbergs more.

Guest motonut

I decided to go with a Mossberg 500a Persuader 12ga / 20" in Parkerized finish. The Parkerized finish is a little tough to find, the Moss # is 50578. Getting it thru GunBroker, seller doesn't mention the model number or the fact it's Parkerized in the ad and had a bit of an attitude when I asked about the specifics but oh well. He seems to be one of the very few selling the Parkerized version.

I know that it being Parkerized impacts the barrel choices (severly) so if I find I need a different barrel I'll just have to get another gun....

My phone wont load the video at the moment, signal strength isnt good enough so I cant comment on it, but good choice with the Persauder, you will be happy to know that the park finish on the Mossbergs is a lot better than the park finish on the Remingtons, however the opposite is true when it comes to bluing though, the bluing is better on Remingtons, well at least on the Wingmasters it is.

Meant to add this the other day...."Shotgun Basics for Newbies".

[media=]

[/media]

Just spot checked it, but found:

Wrong about rifled slugs. Says they impart spin.

Wrong about choke and slugs, claims that over IC is dangerous.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Just spot checked it, but found:

Wrong about rifled slugs. Says they impart spin.

Wrong about choke and slugs, claims that over IC is dangerous.

- OS

I still haven't watched the video but I totally agree with OhShoot.

The rifling on rifled slugs allow the slugs to "squish" through chokes, forming sort of a gas seal and provides some additional preformance, as far as shooting slugs through any chokes smaller than IC, well that is another common misbelief, there is no way in heck an ammunition manufacturer would make their slugs to big in diameter to be shot through any "standard size" choke (including full choke) simply for liability reasons.

I don't recommend it because there is no reason to do it (other than ignorance) but I doubt it would cause a catastrophic failure.

Guest bkelm18

I checked out a used Maverick 88 at the LGS. It had dual extractors.

Coulda swore it only had one. I recall that being one of the things they cut corners on. Hmm. Oh well, guess I misremembered.

Guest bkelm18

Ok so the Maverick 88's also feature the dual extractors that's good to know, I'd really like to take a closer look at one to see if the loading gate mechanism is also the same as on the 500 & 590 series as well.

The MAV is essentially identical to the Moss 500 with the exception of the forend, trigger guard, and safety mechanism (and by extension the trigger group). And it has mexican parts.

Edited by bkelm18
Ain't the 500A's w/ 20 inch barrels still pretty cheap? I picked up mine a long time ago but I can't imagine finding one under 300 would be hard.
I'm seeing the Mossberg 500 Persuader #50577 or 50579 on GunBroker for under $300 (not counting s&h), Bud's has them for ~$325 shipped.

That's exactly what I wanted and the price is good. I had ruled out the Mossy's due to the location of the slide release. It doesn't work with a pistol grip, but now that I don't want a pistol grip, this is perfect! Thanks.

The local Dunham's sells Moss 500, 20", 7+1, bead sight, for about $325. The more I think about it, the more I want to skip the Maverick and go strait for the 500. I saw a picture of a 24" pump with a +4 tube extension. I like the look of that as well. I don't know if it was a Moss or a Rem though...and I can't remember where I saw the picture :(

Oh well, I will nail it down and make an actual decision one day.

Coulda swore it only had one. I recall that being one of the things they cut corners on. Hmm. Oh well, guess I misremembered.

they used to be single ACTION BAR guns. They're made a little cheaper by using some imported parts from mexico but are still very serviceable. I haven't heard of anyone having issue with them. You can find them for around 200 dollars brand new still.

If you want to shoot clays and have a home defense gun, you're gonna want a barrel combo package. While you can bust them with a 20" or 18.5" barrel, it's rather difficult past about 25yds as the pattern really starts to open up with number 8 shot through the cylinder choke you'll find in these barrels.

Keep in mind though, if you go for the 8 shot Maverick or Mossberg, you don't have an option of a longer barrel. In the capacity regard, the 870 with extended mag tubes makes for ultimate versatility in a shotgun.

Either of the three mentioned will be a very good weapon to you though.

I personally have a Mossberg 500A I've had for about 15 years. It started as a 28" accu choke II gun in American walnut stocks. It currently wears the 18.5" barrel with a Meprolight tritium bead installed. It's seen A LOT of shooting through the years and the only issue I've ever had was the tang safety needing to be rebuilt (if you're rough enough on the gun, it'll start slipping down and engaging under recoil but you can get a rebuild kit for about 20 bucks and be ready to go for another 5k or so rounds)

That said, I love my 500.

Edited by DevJames
  • 1 month later...

I am going to check out a Winchester 1300 this weekend. The seller is asking a little more than I want to spend. But, after all the research I have done lately, this particular model may turn out to be the exact shotgun I have been looking for.

Edited by hazmatt
Guest The Dude

i dont know fellas. i have both 870's and mossy 500's. both of them are great designs. between the two of them, i favor the mossberg design. the differences in the two are in the receiver.

the remington 870 has stood the test of time and works. however, it has a tighter tolerance, a single extractor, and the bolt and bolt carrier stack up on eachother on top of the action arms. wich, in return, dont let the foreend move as much side to side. (wich some people think is better, but i dont think so). the interupter and shell stop are built into the reciever. and the elevator is built into the trigger assembly. (again, not a flaw, but still a robust design.)

the mossberg on the other hand, has replaceable interupters, cartridge stops, cartridge elevators, dual extractors, and the bolt and bolt carrier sandwich themselves with the action arms. i prefer this design. but it also lets the forend move more side to side wich is what a lot die hard 870 fans think its cheap. the design also allows for for debris to be present and still function.

the diffences are small, but they are still different. i havent got my hands on a 1300 yet so i cant say anything for them yet.

good luck with your quest...

I am going to check out a Winchester 1300 this weekend. The seller is asking a little more than I want to spend. But, after all the research I have done lately, this particular model may turn out to be the exact shotgun I have been looking for.

Definitely check out the Winchester 1300 Defender. I got a LNIB 1300 on GB a while back for $250 delivered (+FFL/NCIS fees). 18", 7+1, rotary bolt and fast!

MyWin1300Defender01.jpg

MyWin1300Defender05.jpg

MyWin1300Defender06.jpg

MyWin1300Defender16.jpg

LE132.jpg

Edited by 10P8TRIOT

Definitely check out the Winchester 1300 Defender. I got a LNIB 1300 on GB a while back for $250 delivered (+FFL/NCIS fees). 18", 7+1, rotary bolt and fast!

MyWin1300Defender01.jpg

How the deuce do they get 7 rounds in that tube? It's 18" just like my 870 and my tube also goes all the way to end of barrel too, but only holds 6.

Actually mine is 18.5" and tube goes to end of it, even!! Seems like some sort of magic there.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot