Disarmed when stopped by the police?

Have you been disarmed after a LEO knew you were armed?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been disarmed after a LEO knew you were armed?

• Yes - He just sat it aside
    • Yes - He unloaded it and sat it aside
    • No - He just asked where my gun was
    • No - He just "Ok" and didn't ask about or mention it any further
    • No - and a conversation about guns/RKBA began.

well it looks like so far the 92% of the posters that have responded have had some what positive encounters dealing with LEO. Interesting.

I'm frankly surprised it is that low. The horror stories get known largely because they are so rare. I agree with Phantom6 that most LE's on the street are perfectly fine with private citizens carrying legally.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower
And don't forget when they approach the car, yell out the window: I'VE GOT A GUN.

Or better yet, get out of the car and meet them at the rear.....with DL, HCP, and gun in hand.

Guest GLOCKGUY
Or better yet, get out of the car and meet them at the rear.....with DL, HCP, and gun in hand.

all the LEOs i know hate when people they pull over jump out and meet them at the rear it makes them nervous

Guest nraforlife

With gun in hand? Are you asking to get shot...

Slightly off subject, I had the opportunity to talk to two fine officers yesterday while my wife was shopping, not a posted location, and they were just stolling the area. After about 5 minutes of banter about crime and other issues they went about their way and I finished my coffee. Yes, I was armed and no they didn't suspect nor should they. I have become a firm believer in the concealment shirts - like the 5.11 tactical, and this just reinforced it. And also YES, I purposefully struck up a conversation with these fine LEO's outside of the normal 'Hello officer, you doing ok?' just to see if they would notice anything possibly out of the usual wear wise.

Wow I guess I'm the only one that noticed it was a joke, Boom.

Nah...I knew too...and know the post he was using as a refrence. :D

I was talking with a deputy friend of mine the other day...holding a twelve pack of beer even. He had no idea I was armed till we started talking about carry laws etc...and I told him.

Edited by Fallguy

I'm an LEO in West TN and I've also got a handgun carry permit.

I hate when people jump out of the car and meet me, I also hate when people don't pull over to the right when I activate my blue lights.

I love it when people tell me they have a handgun in the car, and produce a valid HCP. I've never disarmed someone, now that I think of it. Not saying I wouldn't do it.... just haven't felt the need yet.

Guest 270win

I do not think jumping out of a car and walking towards a police officer would in anyway put him at ease during at traffic stop. It is better to, if possible, pull to the furthest to the right as possible, even a side street, parking lot, or exit ramp and stay in the vehicle. I generally keep my handgun concealed somewhere in my car, such as a console, or concealed on my person. Hands visible, DL, ins, and registration ready when the LEO walks up to the car makes him more at ease. I have not volunteered the fact that i have a permit in TN b/c they find out when calling in your DL to dispatch. If i had a handgun in the open on my car seat i might take a different approach.

Open carry may be legal, but it is not the same as VA or AZ where anyone who is 18 may do so without a permit. You must prove in TN that you are legal with your permit. I like concealing in most cases, except hunting or going to the range, because some crazies on the road may use the fact that they see a handgun as a way to call in a false report and make your life miserable by claiming you threatened him. You can often beat the rap but the ride is not fun and may be expensive to fight.

Guest 270win

By the way, thank you for your service in West TN GhstFace. We appreciate good officers helping keep the community safer and taking care of the bad guys out there.

Thank you razorback2003, I appreciate the thanks.:woohoo:

A little off topic, but pull over to the right as soon as safely possible; The officer has chosen where he wants you to stop. When a vehicle continues driving after I've activated my blue lights is when the red flags go up.

Just one time -- Metro Nashville officer. No trouble at all, not even a flinch. And he let me roll on with just a warning.

Interesting... Metro is one of the places I had heard of them consistantly disarming folks, unloading the weapon and the advising the HCP holder not to touch or reload the weapon until the officer left the scene.

Being I am planning to work at the RCSO I can see this coming up. Unless the situation deems it necessary to disarm someone I won't. Now if they give me a reason to then I most certainly will.

I think it's perfectly legitimate for an LE to disarm someone if he perceives that person is a threat to himself or others. But if he does so indiscriminately that means he can't tell the difference between a threat and a non-threat. And that person has no business being an LE.

Guest johnnyo

My dad's home security alarm went off a few months ago and the alarm company called me and told me that it was going off and that the LEO was on their way. Dad being out of town and me being a key holder, I arrived at the house just before the LEO, I was armed (open carry). When the officer arrived I Identified myself. The officer didn't say anything about my firearm.

I unlocked the door and reset the alarm while the officer walked through the house firearem drawn checking every room.