First Black Rifle...

One of the biggest criticisms of the Sport is the lack of forward assist and ejection port cover. ....

Not that mine will see any sandbox type battle duty (I hope) to test lack of dust cover, but after having it for a while and cleaning it several times, think I'll just not clean it and keep a running count to see how long it'll run before it needs a forward assist or something to keep running. 'Course, it has the finger indent in bolt, can always press that, and not sure I'd want to be any firmer than that in any regards.

Probably not fair to mix steel and brass all the time either though ... I've got more steel than anything else, will maybe just shoot that at least for a good while and see at what point it fails, empty cart gets stuck, whatever.

So far since last cleaning: 100 rounds

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Not that mine will see any sandbox type battle duty (I hope) to test lack of dust cover, but after having it for a while and cleaning it several times, think I'll just not clean it and keep a running count to see how long it'll run before it needs a forward assist or something to keep running. 'Course, it has the finger indent in bolt, can always press that, and not sure I'd want to be any firmer than that in any regards.

Probably not fair to mix steel and brass all the time either though ... I've got more steel than anything else, will maybe just shoot that at least for a good while and see at what point it fails, empty cart gets stuck, whatever.

So far since last cleaning: 100 rounds

- OS

That "finger indent" is actually for clearance for the ejection port cover latch.

I have never used the FA on my personal gun, I have never closed the ejection port cover and most importantly I have not cleaned it in a few years and probably a thousand rounds.

Dolomite

Guest bkelm18

I called my local shop yesterday and they said the sport is super hard to get right now. May be 2-3 months if then. I may find it online and have it shipped to them.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

I got an email from Impactguns.com saying they got two in-stock this morning. Might be gone by now but you never know.

Guest Victor9er

nice picture, both work great! i will tell you, first hand; it's a true pain only when you believe your buffer tube is mil-spec and order a new stock and it does not fit! and yes it true just because they claim mil-spec does not make it so.

as a note most hi end stuff tends to be proprietary, even Para was when were making ZM's rifle.

also were are the "finished pics" of your AR?

Yeah, I swapped my stock for a CTR and I had to look up which version to get. Once I found out it was milspec I ordered the right one and it fits like a glove!

I'm waiting on a friend of mine to help me install the new quad-rail I bought for it. I have to swap out the gas block to a low-profile one and then take the delta ring off before I install the new rail. Going to replace the muzzle brake while we're at it also. I don't have the tools or a vice to do it myself (and since it's my first AR I wouldn't want to try it alone) so I have to wait on my friend who's much more experienced with building AR's.

Hopefully we can get it taken care of this Sunday and then I can post some pics. Once the rail is installed it'll pretty much be complete, or at least 98% complete... (I want to add a flashlight eventually) enough to finally take an updated pic at least :)

Edited by Victor9er

That "finger indent" is actually for clearance for the ejection port cover latch....

Yeah, I actually did know it wasn't there for finger. :) But it DOES work quite well, long as you're quick so ya don't get burned on hot bolt I guess.

I just can't see the real world wisdom in trying to cram a round in with as much force as smacking a forward assist allows. It ain't going in for a reason -- racking another one seems more logical than using brute force. I mean, semi-auto handgun drill is tap-rack-bang, not smack-bang (maybe)-stuck.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Yeah, I actually did know it wasn't there for finger. :) But it DOES work quite well, long as you're quick so ya don't get burned on hot bolt I guess.

I just can't see the real world wisdom in trying to cram a round in with as much force as smacking a forward assist allows. It ain't going in for a reason -- racking another one seems more logical than using brute force. I mean, semi-auto handgun drill is tap-rack-bang, not smack-bang (maybe)-stuck.

- OS

I have had to use that method with 1911's before. Especially with reloads. They will stop 1/8" shy of lock and so you give it a good smack on the rear of the slide then continue firing.

Dolomite

So I take it the forward assist is like a "slide release" equivalent of an AR. See? I'm learning all kinds of good stuff.

No, not remotely the same. AR's have a "slide" (bolt) release/lock.

Colt-Bolt-Release-1024x768.jpg

Forward assist is a separate gizmo that allows you to (maybe) force a round in that wouldn't chamber normally.

Plunger type assembly in this pic:

assist.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest bkelm18

A forward assist is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. You push on this plunger type thing like that is pictured above and it basically pushes the bolt forward to assist in chambering a round if it won't fully chamber. I never really saw the purpose of it though admittedly I've never been in a combat action environment. If a round will not chamber it seems like you have other issues you need to address.

Guest bkelm18

Oh ok. So you strike or push it? I thought it just released the bolt.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

Basically yeah. You push on it or you tap it with the heel of your hand or whatnot. On the other side of the receiver there is a slide lock/release that is used to release the bolt when it is locked back.

There are a couple of reasons to have a forward assist. First is if the chamber gets a bit dirty the the bullet will not chamber all the way.

The second and more common way it is used is for this. When doing a check on the loaded chamber you pull the bolt back partially and if their is a bullet in the chamber you do not want to eject it. So you either ride the bolt back forward or just release it. But in either instance the upward pressure of the loaded magazine can slow the bolt enough to prevent a full lock up. So you use the forward assist to finish the job.

I admit I have used it for both but mostly for the later scenario. I always do chamber checks so for me a FA is something I use regularly.

Dolomite

Guest Baron

Just want to throw more support in for the Sport.

I bought mine as soon as they came out. It was the first one my local shop received. Unlike the current model, mine has iron sights and I believe a milspec buffer tube.

I am over 5000 rounds now and I have yet to have a single failure. At least 3000 of that has been cheap steel and I have shot up to 1000 rounds in one training session. Other than a beat to hell deflector, the gun still looks new.

I didn't know what I was getting into when I bought it. I just saw the price and took a gamble. It's probably one of the best purchases I have ever made. I will never get rid of my sport. I would like a second one, but I dealers seem to have caught on and are bumping up the price.

As for Colt, I had a friend with one and he brought it to a class. It would not eat steel ammo. It would jam every 2-3 rounds. It ran like a top on brass, but not all of us can afford to run brass like that all the time. Mine eats Tula, Wolf and Hornady Steel Match like a fat chick eats brownies.

my 2 cents, is the forward asst is no longer need, i have not had one in years and do not miss it, the wife use a plastic plug. the forward asst to me is a throw back from the veitam war to solve a problem that no longer apilies.

after the first gun went across the pond people were happy, they pass the test so the army said we tons of this old ball powder lets use that, which of course lead to issues that thenew added forward asst should fix.

just me

Edited by RWF