Legal question about bartering...

Guest nosnos

Guest nosnos

Hey,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, but since it has to do with the sale of complete firearms I'm going for it... Moderators, if I'm in the wrong spot I know you'll fix me up.

My question is if there are any laws specifically about bartering services or other goods (I guess this would be a normal trade type of situation) for guns.

For the sake of discussion, let's say that a painter were to trade some painting for a firearm. Is this illegal?

I assume it isn't. But you know how gun laws can be... I guess they don't always reflect common sense.

Thanks for any input. I'd love to feel comfortable trading work for a gun. Something cool, you know?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the trade isn't between people who cannot legally possess firearms, or for illegal goods (drugs, stolen items), I don't see any laws prohibiting whatever arrangement for payment the parties involved agree upon.

I agree with molonlabetn.

The "tricky" think is, technically the person receiving the gun, should report the value of the gun as income to the IRS. When I took the H&R Block tax school YEARS ago, they said during an audit, bartered income was the most often thing people where caught on.

Guest nraforlife
I agree with molonlabetn.

The "tricky" think is, technically the person receiving the gun, should report the value of the gun as income to the IRS. When I took the H&R Block tax school YEARS ago, they said during an audit, bartered income was the most often thing people where caught on.

Yeah, but you don't have to claim top dollar for it.

Guest grimel
Hey,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, but since it has to do with the sale of complete firearms I'm going for it... Moderators, if I'm in the wrong spot I know you'll fix me up.

My question is if there are any laws specifically about bartering services or other goods (I guess this would be a normal trade type of situation) for guns.

For the sake of discussion, let's say that a painter were to trade some painting for a firearm. Is this illegal?

I assume it isn't. But you know how gun laws can be... I guess they don't always reflect common sense.

Thanks for any input. I'd love to feel comfortable trading work for a gun. Something cool, you know?

Would it be illegal for you to pay the painter when he was finished and then him pay you for a gun? You are just saving motions.

Guest nosnos

Yeah, I suppose technically you're right. But even in the case of an audit I don't know how they would know that the gun was even acquired in the given tax year. I mean, unless the person giving you the gun had written it off on their taxes as an expense paid directly to you. And maybe gave them your tax id number or something. It seems pretty untraceable to me. I guess maybe I would write a quick note in my tax paperwork and let them know that I got this gun for some work I did. I think not. They get enough as it is. I just want more guns... Ha ha..

Of course, being the law-abiding, good citizen I am I always make sure that I pay my taxes honestly and completely.

They probably wouldn't know. That is why most of the time it is caught at audits, during general conversation.

Not go side track the the thread anymore than has been done, but ever think that might be why LEOs ask general questions about what's going on with you? Many people will hang themselves if given the rope.

You probably trade in guns in gun shops all the time. That's certainly barter and really little different from paying cash.

No restriction at all. As for tax implication, meh. If you buy a gun at a show and resell it to a buddy for more money, you're supposed to report that. I dont think too many people do.

Guest canynracer
You probably trade in guns in gun shops all the time. That's certainly barter and really little different from paying cash.

No restriction at all. As for tax implication, meh. If you buy a gun at a show and resell it to a buddy for more money, you're supposed to report that. I dont think too many people do.

HEHE....Rabbi, Need your shop painted??? :)

Each barter transaction is considered income. It might not be a huge deal if no one reports it. But let's say that you do barter with the painter who owns his own business. He records the payment in the value of guns in his accounting system. He gets audited - now they have your info - and if you get audited and if you didn't report his painting fees as income for you - you would have some tax liabilities. Those are BIG IFs & ANDs. We belong to barter groups that do track and report each trade. For individual private deals - I would say you are safe. Nothing illegal regarding bartering for a firearm between individuals. I purchased a 30.06 on barter.

Edited by FlyboyLDB