Been learning about a NFA trust/class 3 and all I can take in. I live on the state line and travel mostly in Alabama. I've read that ATF needs to be notified if crossing state lines. How would this work on a weekly trips to range?

Also learning about trustees, is it possible to have a out of state trustee listed.

Some where I read that you can have up to 5 class 3's on one stamp or did I dream it up. Have searched but nothing came up.

Andy

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the notification for crossing state lines. I'm sure this has come up before.

As for out of state trustees, it is possible. I know of at least one trust with trustees from two different states.

In general, its one stamp per NFA item, the government has to make their money somewhere... There may be some exceptions with full autos that are SBR'd, etc. I'll allow someone more knowledgeable to chime in with the specifics.

Registered machine guns can have any barrel length as they are already registered.

One tax stamp per item. One stamp for sbr, sbs, aow, FA, suppressor, etc. One "gun" could have multiple stamps for the sbr or machine gun, suppressor, and 40mm launcher.

You can fill out ATF form 5320.20 and I believe it is good for 6 months. That is what we fill out to go to Knob Creek for the subgun match. I think you can fax them to the ATF andd the turnaround is fairly quick.

ATF Form 5320.20 can be done for a full year. I do mine each August for each location I think that I might be visiting out of state. You can do multiple guns on each 5320.20. Faxing usually gets a 1-week turnaround.

Basically, you would fill out the 5320 with the destination being your favorite range, show the period as being July 15, 2012 to July 14, 2013 (or whatever dates you pick). You will need a seperate 5320.20 for every location you intend to visit. Only the final destination counts. If you were planning a long vacation with lots of stops, I would fill out a 5320.20 for every range you will be visiting.

Thanks for the replays....I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't find what I posted about.

I assume the form is for using purposes only? Overnight stays in motels and work would need to be listed also?

Edited by 70Stingray

Overnight stays in motels and work would need to be listed also?

Nope, just 'destinations'. Generally, that would be the range where you will be shooting, not where you lay your head at night. If you are attending a convention or exhibition, you would use the address of the exhibition hall.