Glock vs XD

wareagle

I'm in the market for a pair of pistols. Specifically, I'd like to find a pair of fullsize (home protection) and sub compact (CCW) autos that share magazines and holsters. I'd like the pistols in .40 or 9mm. I also want hi cap (15+) mags.

This search led me to looking at Glocks (g17 & 26 or g22 & 27). Anyway, during the search several have said I should look at the XD model line instead.

Just wanted to get a few thoughts from you guys.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just buy three Glock 19s. That way you will have one standard pistol. Same holsters, same mags. It holds 15 rounds and has a 4 inch barrel, so it meets the criteria of a full size service pistol. It is also small enough to conceal every day in an IWB holster.

The Glock is the more reliable pistol as well. I found out the hard (expensive) way.

Very interested in hearing more about this. I have owned Glocks for years and recently standardized on XDs.
I would too. I have read nothing but good things about the XDs, other than the slide lock problem on the .40s.

Put simply, when we went through the fighting pistol class the only guns that did not malfunction were the glocks. XD9's, XD45's, Sigs and more were crashing left and right. I ran my Glock 17 the entire weekend without cleaning it and it operated flawlessly.

That is my experience, I'm sure others have much more to add.

I like them both.

I like them both too, I even own them both, but I'll keep the other guns in the safe to look pretty while I'm training with the Glock 17. ;)

• Administrator
Put simply, when we went through the fighting pistol class the only guns that did not malfunction were the glocks. XD9's, XD45's, Sigs and more were crashing left and right. I ran my Glock 17 the entire weekend without cleaning it and it operated flawlessly.

That is my experience, I'm sure others have much more to add.

That's odd and certainly deviates from what I have experienced myself with the XD and the experiences of others that I have read or heard. I know that the Glock is a reliable gun, but the XD has proven to be just as reliable in my own experiences with it.

I have 800 rds to date through my XD45C and it has never jammed. I may do an experiment with our XD9 Service and not clean it for a thousand rounds just to see how it does. It's not a carry weapon so it won't be putting anyone in harm's way to do this.

In fact... I just made up my mind. 1000rds without cleaning. We'll start the experiment with my next trip to the range with it. ;)

The magazines were the issues in the pistol class. The magazines were dropped in the talcum-like dirt a few times. After that the follower would stick and the rounds would just fall out of the magazine. Is that going to happen in a clean enviroment with your perfectly clean gun, probably not. But why would I want something that doesn't perform in those conditions when I can have something that will?

Another thing everyone needs to know about the XD: The recoil spring is very stiff. This is a problem is you have a smaller shooter, or if you have a bad grip on the gun. The gun will certainly malfunction if you don't grip it well.

I'm not saying other guns aren't worth trusting your life to, but I will stick with what I know will work.

With that said it's Glocks for me. They've just gone through many more trials than these new guns that are out. Something else everyone needs to keep in mind when selecting a firearm. While the design is important, the company also has to be able to produce good guns every lot. Glock has proven that it can make good guns over the years with few problems.

• Administrator
The magazines were the issues in the pistol class. The magazines were dropped in the talcum-like dirt a few times. After that the follower would stick and the rounds would just fall out of the magazine. Is that going to happen in a clean enviroment with your perfectly clean gun, probably not. But why would I want something that doesn't perform in those conditions when I can have something that will?

I agree that this would cause justifiable concern. I remember when Glock magazines didn't have metal liners and would bulge, causing them to jam into the magazine well. Glock corrected that and I wonder if Springfield would correct this issue if they were alerted to it.

Did you send Springfield a letter or email about it?

• Administrator
No I didn't.

I'm sure someone notify them. I'm certain they would fix the problem if they perceive it as such.

One would definitely hope so! I hope you don't mind but I reposted the comments from this thread over on XDTalk with changes made to the names of parties involved just to protect the innocent.

I want to see if anyone else has had these problems and if Springfield has or is doing anything about it. As you said, it may never happen to a clean weapon but we don't always have the luxury of having clean weapons.

Along a similar vein... did you get to fondle the new Glock 21SF at Shotshow and if so, what did you think of it? The pictures give me a serious jones to add one to the collection at a later point in time.

Yeah, it would probably be better coming from someone that actually owns one of those guns. I've never owned one but I witnessed the problems first hand. I usually don't comment on matters that didn't happen to me directly but this is an exception.

I didn't make it over to the Glock booth at the show. I heard about that gun though. It sounds nice.

I did however see the HK .45 with the ergo grip. It felt very good in the hand, much better than the full size USP .45. If I should choose to buy another .45 this might be the ticket.

Guest Titan Scout

To the original question:

It doesn't really matter as long as you train and carry every day.

I carry Glocks, but I would bet the XD could make me happy too.

Guest nitrous_mike

To me the XD felt better and actually fit in my short fat hands alot better then the glocks. I have shot over 4k rounds threw my XD 40 since the first of last year with out one single issue. I do not have a reason to say it is better then a glock other then the fact that I can handle it better. The biggest problem I had with the glock was the ridge on the back of the grip made the gun want to roll to one side or the other. I guess if I had anouther grip to put on a glock I would buy one.

Guest Shay VanVlymen
I remember when Glock magazines didn't have metal liners and would bulge, causing them to jam into the magazine well.

Going from memory:

The non-full metal lined early magazines were designed to bulge and not drop free because Glock designed the pistol for the military so they wanted the magazine to stay in the gun if the mag release was inadvertently pressed.

They changed the design to the full metal lined version because of complaints from Americans that we wanted faster mag changes.

• Administrator
Going from memory:

The non-full metal lined early magazines were designed to bulge and not drop free because Glock designed the pistol for the military so they wanted the magazine to stay in the gun if the mag release was inadvertently pressed.

They changed the design to the full metal lined version because of complaints from Americans that we wanted faster mag changes.

I'd have been one of those complaining Americans back then. :lol: