Savage 1907 Copy

Justin_E

I'm wondering if anyone might know if anyone makes any copies of the Savage 1907 pistol. They look kinda interesting, and I wouldn't mind carrying one. I just don't want to get an original and risk breaking a part that can't be replaced or repaired.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No reproductions that I'm aware of. Get an original and carry it if you want. The way they are designed makes me feel they aren't really safe to carry with one in the chamber, however. An original is common, and not all that expensive.

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

You won't be the only guy packing one. :shhh:

Edited by gregintenn

With the hammer down, the best I can tell the firing pin rests on the primer. It has a manual safety that when engaged is easily disengaged. There are no further safety features that I'm aware of, i.e. grip safety, rebounding hammer, double action trigger, etc.

We, as a nation, cams very close to having these in 45 ACP rather than the 1911.

Colt specified a weaker 45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) ammunition right before the trials. And Savage was unaware of the change so their submitted pistols had reliability issues during the trials.

Funny thing is Luger also submitted a 45 ACP variant for the trials as well. And after all but I believe one were thrown into burn barrels and destroyed That single 45 ACP Luger has sold for over $1 million dollars.

Imagine how things would have been if Savage had won. We would be reading Glock vs. Savage threads all the time.

Dolomite

• Admin Team

I always thought these were safe to carry, hammer down or "cocked and locked" Greg?

If I recall correctly, the hammer doesn't act as a hammer but is a charging lever for the striker.

I've always admired the weapon that was second to the 1911 in trials. And, it has to be one of the first production double stacks.

You've got one, though. So, what's the story as far as safety goes?

I stand corrected. It appears it does have a floating firing pin. I suppose MacGyver is correct about it being safe to carry hammer down. It has been quite some time since I tore mine apart to clean it. I had in my mind that the firing pin was attached to the hammer via some sort of linkage. My memory isn't what it used to be. Sorry for the bad info. The gun shoots great. You'd like one.

http://www.vintagepi...7/exploded.html

So, what's the story as far as safety goes?

Mine may just have a weak spring, but the safety doesn't seem very positively engaged. It would be easy to inadvertantly jar it into the fire position.

If you're looking for a good retro carry gun, I'd suggest you take a look at a 51 Remington. They feel great in the hand, and couldn't be thinner.

IMG_0192.jpg

Edited by gregintenn
  • Admin Team

I stand corrected. It appears it does have a floating firing pin. I suppose MacGyver is correct about it being safe to carry hammer down. It has been quite some time since I tore mine apart to clean it. I had in my mind that the firing pin was attached to the hammer via some sort of linkage.

What happens when you rack the slide? I'm assuming it brings the hammer back and charges the striker? If so, it seems like it would carry the same risks as dropping the hammer on a loaded 1911. A whole lot of people have put holes in their floor doing this over the years.

So, to my previous question, while it may be safe to carry hammer down, one may need to be aware of the risks getting it to that position.

Yes. Racking the slide cocks the hammer on the Savage. You are correct on your assessment as far as I can tell. I feel there are safer carry guns than the Savage.

Here is my 1917.

IMG_1955.jpg

The 1915 Savage was hammerless, and more rare than the 1907 or 1917. I haven't scored one....yet.

With the safety on, the pistol cannot fire. It is very safe to carry like that. You are not going to 'accidentally' take the safety off as it has a very positive movement. I carried one as a pocket pistol for many years. Old Savage ads said "10 Shots Quick!". And they were right. Aside from the Remington 51, it is the only .32 that I can point shoot instinctively. Parts aren't cheap, but they are available from several sources. Most complaints have to do with using cheap low-powered ammo. Modern self-defense loads work great in mine.

Original mags are expensive, and come in three flavors. Early and later guns had different magazine catches. You have magazines made for each type, and finally, magazines made for both.

Operating the magazine catch takes a bit of practice to get used to it. Once you do, it's very quick to use.

The earlier 1907/1910 pistols are a little less bulky and lighter than the model 1917.