Baseball Player gets nailed

Guest db99wj

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest darkstar

Yeah...Pujouls from the Cardinals got him in the face with a line drive, then later in the inning he (pujouls) was sliding into home and got the catcher on the ankle during his slide. Replays showed the catchers ankle snapping all the way back from it's normal position.

That pitcher is lucky, it could have been a lot worse, all he has is a broken nose.

Guest mtsusean

I was watching that game on MLB Extra Innings last night. At first, they wouldn't show the replay it was so graphic. They finally showed a replay (not a close-up of any kind) from behind home plate, camera somewhere around press box level.

Brutal, no doubt, he was very lucky.

Hey, can anyone do the energy calculations on that event? How does the total energy transfer of that baseball to the head relate to... say a 357 or a 45?

I don't know how much a baseball weighs, nor how fast that one was going, but I'm guessing someone on here does.

I know 7,000 grains to a lb, and about 1.62 fps per mph.... assuming a baseball weighed 1lb and was travelling 50 mph, then that would be 7000gr at 81fps, inversing the size and speed would be 70 gr at 810fps..... sounds like about a .32 acp there maybe?

I know you guys are way smarter than me. Whaddya think?

Ok, a quick google says that an MLB baseball must weigh between 5.0 and 5.2 oz.

That's 2187.5gr to 2275 gr.

So how fast do you think that ball was going when it hit him?

Well if anyone can watch the video and has a stop watch...it is 60ft, 6in from home plate to the pitcher's mound. So if you can measure how long it took from contact (bat) to contact (nose) should be able to figure out the speed.

Guest Revelator

On the Pujols-Young vid, it looks like the batted ball was faster than the pitch. In MLB, most pitches are going to be thrown from the low 80s to the high 90s. That looks like a breaking ball that Young threw (probably mid 80s). I'm thinking 90-95 miles per hour of Albert Pujols-generated line drive. Chris Young is extremely lucky. Last year in the minors, a first base coach was hit in the head and killed. And they were at least 30 feet further away than Young was. I love the Randy Jonhson bird murder. I remember that from 2000 or 2001. What are the chances of that??

Guest darkstar
Well if anyone can watch the video and has a stop watch...it is 60ft, 6in from home plate to the pitcher's mound. So if you can measure how long it took from contact (bat) to contact (nose) should be able to figure out the speed.

Not to nit pick, but after the pitchers follow through he is probably about 50 or so feet from the plate. There was a show about this on Sports Science one time and if memory serves a batted ball can be travelling at upwards of 115 mph right off the bat.

As far as comparing being hit with a ball or a bullet I'll take my chances with a ball. It's bigger, and will spread the force of impact over a larger area, plus it's going waaaaaaaay slower than a bullet. Still I'd rather not be hit with anything.

Not to nit pick, but after the pitchers follow through he is probably about 50 or so feet from the plate. There was a show about this on Sports Science one time and if memory serves a batted ball can be travelling at upwards of 115 mph right off the bat.

As far as comparing being hit with a ball or a bullet I'll take my chances with a ball. It's bigger, and will spread the force of impact over a larger area, plus it's going waaaaaaaay slower than a bullet. Still I'd rather not be hit with anything.

Good points.....

If had to pick one...then the baseball....but really wouldn't want to try either.

Hear about the little leauge kid hit by a ball and it stopped his heart?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356505,00.html

(Feel free to start a new thread to discuss the above story)

Guest darkstar
Good points.....

If had to pick one...then the baseball....but really wouldn't want to try either.

Hear about the little leauge kid hit by a ball and it stopped his heart?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356505,00.html

(Feel free to start a new thread to discuss the above story)

Yeah I remember that. Crazy thing unless it's pro ball (minor leauges and up) virtually all players use alluminum bats and the ball comes off even faster due to incrteased bat spped as it swings. I was old school, always used a wood bat myself. A baseball needs to "crack" off the bat not "ping"

Ok, a quick google says that an MLB baseball must weigh between 5.0 and 5.2 oz.

That's 2187.5gr to 2275 gr.

So how fast do you think that ball was going when it hit him?

They estimated the ball at 95mph when it hit him. I'd image the impact force would be in thousands of lbs range. If all he broke was his nose he is extremely lucky. if that had hit an eye socket or cheek bone, he may have never played ball again

OK, I'm going to give us a range here; a 5 oz ball at 85 mph, and a 5.2 oz ball at 95 mph. That is the high and low side of the possible impact here.

2187.5gr @ 137.7 fps = 92 lb/ft of energy

2275gr @ 153.9 fps = 119 lb/ft of energy

A 36gr .22 at 1,000 fps gives us 79 lb/ft of energy

A 148gr .38 wadcutter type load at a modest 650 fps would give us 138 lb/ft of energy.

And of course, as some have mentioned, spreading that force over a larger surface are (a baseball has a 2.9 inch average diameter) reduces the penetrative ability that makes bullets work like they do.

Have you ever heard of the taylor knockout factor? It is a formula some dude came up with (maybe named Taylor??) that is used to measure the "knockdown power" of a round in a slightly different form than just total energy. The caliber, instead of just bullet weight and speed, is also taken into account. What is funny is how disproportionate these numbers become when you use a relatively large caliber (a2.9 inch baseball, for example) versus a standard ammo caliber like a .44 mag or 12g slug.

The average .44 has a TKO (Taylor Knockout) factor of 20, with a 12g slug being in the 50s.

See how crazy this gets with a baseball!! Our lighter/slower example of a baseball gives a TKO factor of 124!!!

The faster/heavier ball has a TKO of 145!!

I know... :rolleyes: but this stuff is cool to me!!