Car Safe Suggestions

I'm sure this has been posted on here before, but I wasn't able to find it with a quick search so I'll start a new one!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent car safe to secure a handgun in the car when I absolutely must leave it behind? I'm looking for something I can attach either to the back of the seat or under the seat in an SUV (Jeep Cherokee if it matters?) where it will be out of the way but at least deter theft. Cheaper is better, but I understand I get what I pay for.

I've looked at some at Academy and on Ebay/Amazon and there are a lot to choose from, but the prices seem all over the board and the reviews equally mixed on everything i've seen. I'd prefer combination with a key option (for when I forget the combination) but I don't need a lot of fancy flip-up speed delivery options. I've already got a container that delivers my gun to my hand quickly in an emergency - it's called my holster. Speed drawing from my safe just isn't a need I see myself having.

And should I be looking for/ bothering with gun-specific safes? Or is the "cash box with security cord" from Target going to be the same thing without the "it's for a gun" surcharge? It'll be to hold my 1911-CS and my wife's Bersa .380.

Mounting (read: Concealing) recommendations and suggestions would be good too. With an SUV I'm concerned that just bolting it to the floor in the trunk will draw unwanted attention to people window shopping in the parking lots. Last thing want to do is ATTRACT attention with my safe.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HvyMtl

Ok a quick fix, until you find a better situation: http://www.academy.c...tt=safe&Ntk=All Yes, you have to go to the store to buy it. I bet other places, such as Dick's Sporting Goods, etc, have similar options.

$25, loops around a solid metal bar under the seat, can tuck under most seats, or be covered under the floor mat. I think they have a keyed version for $5 less.

Edited by HvyMtl

I just got one of those cheap cash boxes from Target. It specifically says not for firearms. I don't see any reason not to put one in there. I am going to add a little foam to protect the finish of my guns. It was around $20 cable loops around seat and stows under seat. The cable makes it easier to access for adding and removing items. Also, it has a programmable combo lock with a key as well.

A determined thief can defeat it but it'll definitely slow them down. If you bolt it down it would be even more secure but less easy to use.

-southernasylum

p.s.

This is the one I got. My local Target had it for $20 or $25.

http://www.target.com/p/first-alert-digital-locking-steel-security-box-0-27-cu-ft/-/A-11241629?reco=Rec_pdp_11241629_MultiSolrRecentSearchToPurchase_Banner

Edited by southernasylum

http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00384755S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/caldwell-large-handgun-vault.aspx?a=919102

Just use the cable and tuck it under your seat. If a thief wants it, they'll get it.

The reason the small document safe says "not for firearms" is 1) politics; and 2) it's not ventilated and has no moisture control features so it's not for long-term storage.

Guest HvyMtl

The one I suggested, at Academy, meets TSA carry on requirements. And is inexpensive. Again, a good stop gap, until you can get one specifically built for/into your vehicle. Basically, it will stop the non-Pro thief (most cases.)

It will not stop the one who steals the vehicle, as he/she/it will have plenty of time, and tools, to crack any case after the vehicle is moved to the chop shop.

Thanks for the replies, all. Based on the recommendations here I'm going to swing by Academy and pick up either the Stack-On or the GunVault that they have. I'm thinking I'll bolt it under one of the seats. Harder for me to get access to means harder for someone to walk away with.

I have 2 of the gunvault keyed models and I'm happy with them. You may want to look at this info about small safes and overcoming them.

http://www.thesideba...security/?p=793

Not so much about car safes, but useful none the less.

Thanks for this! I'll pick up a tube of Epoxy to take care of most of the holes I'm seeing in the video. Not much I can do about the cheap key lock, I guess. Maybe epoxy that shut too and rely on the combination? My biggest concern is someone walking away with the safe - I don't think any lock is going to stop someone that has the time to devote to getting into it.