My newest plinking device.....

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer

This has been my little project for about 3 weeks now...ordering here and there....painting and such.

Finally I am done and here it is....My Ruger 10/22 in an OD green Archangel Stock w/ black accents on the grip. I want to do the lettering in black but my hand is not that steady.

I plan on trying to find someone whos hands are though b/c that would look sick I think.

Its nothing fancy but it was cheap and fun and I sure am and will continue to enjoy it...i mean, after all, its a Ruger 10/22 :hyper:

** sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, that I all i have available at the moment...and yes, I noticed the small ding near the stock adjustment knob :censored: ill touch that up tonight! **

IMG_20120815_151001.jpg

IMG_20120815_150429.jpg

IMG_20120815_151015.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer

i need some advice..

I am definitely going to black in the letters ARCHANGEL..

But I am wondering if other areas would look good black??

If you look at the last two pics, you can see where the stock has "rough" areas...like the grip panels I have black already

There is a part under the letters that goes back and swoops up that is textured as well.

Also, there is a part under the barrel ( i think that would be too much black too close to the black barrel )

One last place is the fore end, where the holes are, that area is textured.

What are your thoughts?

Guest rebeldrummer

The rough area around the forearm/receiver might be kinda cool.

i thought about that? just dont know about it though? that would be a lot of black really close together?

another reason I say the area what is vented is because that area will get handled a lot and in the chance

that the paint wears off, it will still be black (since the stock originally is black)

what about making the part of the butt stock that extends black?

Ever heard of Plastidip? It's a spray on rubber that looks just like paint, but isn't permanent. It's durable, but can be removed. I know a lot of people that use it to black out their chrome emblems on vehicles. I've even seen it used on wheels. Go to you tube and put in Plastidip.

This could help you decide because you can remove it if you don't like it.

Guest rebeldrummer

Ever heard of Plastidip? It's a spray on rubber that looks just like paint, but isn't permanent. It's durable, but can be removed. I know a lot of people that use it to black out their chrome emblems on vehicles. I've even seen it used on wheels. Go to you tube and put in Plastidip.

This could help you decide because you can remove it if you don't like it.

thanks man, I will go check that out now.

Also, what are your thoughts on where I should add some more black?

thanks man, I will go check that out now.

Also, what are your thoughts on where I should add some more black?

My first thought was the depression under the receiver and barrel, but you may be right, that it would be too black on black.

So my next thought would be to mock out the forearm area with painters tape and do the curved portion. And then the butt extension. Others than that you could use some tape and mock up any portion you wanted.

Guest rebeldrummer

My first thought was the depression under the receiver and barrel, but you may be right, that it would be too black on black.

So my next thought would be to mock out the forearm area with painters tape and do the curved portion. And then the butt extension. Others than that you could use some tape and mock up any portion you wanted.

im going to use that plasti dip i think and black out some areas and see what it looks like, if it doesnt look good ill take it off.

i think that stuff is neat? wonder how durable it is? and how much it can hold up to bumbs and dings?? worth a try....

Guest Broomhead

It's designed to be used as a spray-on version of tool handle coating. The original was a can that you'd dip your item in. It is really pretty durable depending on how many coats you do. I have it on a neck knife handle that has held up for a couple years now with no big issues. Besides, if it starts to come of after 6 months or so, just peel it and redo it.

im going to use that plasti dip i think and black out some areas and see what it looks like, if it doesnt look good ill take it off.

i think that stuff is neat? wonder how durable it is? and how much it can hold up to bumbs and dings?? worth a try....

If it will stay in vehicle wheels for any length if time, I'd say you'd be suprised.

I know Lowes carries it, next to the Rustoleum.

Oh and use about 5 light coats with 15-20 mins drying in between. That will prevent running and give and even thick coverage. An will still come off in one piece when removed.

Edited by Lumber_Jack
Guest rebeldrummer

If it will stay in vehicle wheels for any length if time, I'd say you'd be suprised.

I know Lowes carries it, next to the Rustoleum.

Oh and use about 5 light coats with 15-20 mins drying in between. That will prevent running and give and even thick coverage. An will still come off in one piece when removed.

well...i guess a trip to Lowes in now in my schedule for today or tomorrow!!! going to be a good weekend project!!!

thanks for the heads up...

Guest rebeldrummer

thanks guys! my wife actually complimented me on this as well.

And when she saw me doing all the painting and work she asked why I was not just sending it off to Mach 1, well actually her words were "Your painter guy" ha ha....I adv because I wanted to try my hand at a more detailed paint job (referring to my AR/1911/M&P paint job)

She then said, "Hunny, if you want it done just send it off, I will just make that your anniversary gift"

Now im in a conundrum.....do I finish it or send it off. I have $0 in this so far as the paint was all given to me and/or I had some at the house.

I have about 3 hours total work here and there in it. Mach 1 would do a GREAT job, WAY better than me. And I have noticed that my lines are not as straight as I would like them?

Thoughts??

Finish it up yourself. The only way to improve is through practice and it looks line your doing a good job so far. Later on if you decide you can't live with something about it, either try to fix it up or send it off but for now finish what you've started. It's coming along great and you'll always have the pride of DIY.

My $0.02