Going to try out some bullet casting. Got a 5 gallon bucket half full of wheel weights from work this morning. We don't do a whole lot of tire work plus one of the other guys has been taking it for scrap. I asked the boss if he was giving it to him or selling and that I might be willing to pay more. He didn't know the other guy was taking the lead, OOPS. Well he wasn't to happy about it, but told me I could have all the old wheel weights I wanted.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also tell by the sound they make when tapped on a hard surface like metal. Zinc and steel will have a higher pitched noise and lead will be a dull thud.

ETA-Also on the longer weights, you can bend or break the lead, zinc and steel are much harder so they don't easily bend.

Edited by Superman

Most of these weights are probably almost or as old as me....I didn't even think about there possibly being anything other than lead weights is these buckets since my dad told me thats what they were, I just took him at his word since that's what he always called them....would steel and zinc alloys have a higher melting point than what a typical reloading pot would provide since those pots aren't designed to melt the harder metal that steel etc would be??

Thanks for the info...sorry I hijacked the thread. Looking to start melting all this stuff down and trying my hand at casting some bullets as the weather cools down. I will do a little more checking on what I have to be sure there is no zinc mixed in with what I have...

Thanks, I have gone through that thread and your zombie thread a couple times. Which brings up a question, where do you get those black ammo boxes? Almost looks like they are factory ammo boxes that have been painted.

These

photo-7.jpg

Edited by Superman
  • 4 weeks later...

Some people are giving $50 for a 5 gal bucket full but thats pure lead weights no zinc or stick on weights. ingots are going for $1.00 a pound. I've got 4 16 gal grease barrels full of weights. I make my ingots in the winter and cast a 5 gal bucket of bullets to shoot till next winter.

Edited by Rickey
  • 3 months later...

It could.  

Think about this:  Sodium chloride [common table salt] has a melting point of over 1400 degrees F.  BUT we all know it will dissolve in hot water.  Well.....Aluminum has a melting point of just over 1200F BUT, you can dissolve aluminum in molten zinc which has a melting point of only 780F.   This is where we get pot metal.  

Do you really want that in your mold?  There are other bad things that come from zinc too so why even consider taking a chance?

Melt at a low temp, as close to 600 to 650 as you can, the zinc should clump on top, a bit of flux will help.

Candle wax, saw dust, wood chips(dry) work as flux.

Edited by RED333