M&P9 Grip

tt0511

I was in a gun shop this week comparing some firearms. I compared the XD9, Xdm 9, Glock 19 and M&P9. I was pre-set on the XDm since I have the XD9sc and love it. I was really disappointed to find that I really didn't like the XDm like I thought I would. I like XD better than XDm related to the grip. I was super surprised to find that I much preferred the Glock 19 and Glock 30. I've not been a Glock guy, I've been a 1911 guy. We muddied the water further by throwing the M&P in. It points so naturally to me and almost feels like it's "stealthy" the way the slide looks and feels low profile in the hand.

I REALLY like the way the M&P sight alignment looks and the way it points. However, after doing lots of research on the interwebz, I feel like an odd ball alien. Am I the only person who feels like the hump on the backstrap of the M&P is all in the wrong place and is SUPER uncomfortable? The guy in the shop checked the backstrap and said it was already the small one. I'm wondering if he misread it or something. The hump actually almost caused pain in my hand. I really want to love the M&P and not the G19 but I can't live with the hump in the back. Since I haven't come across anyone mentioning that anywhere, I feel like maybe the backstrap on there was in fact not the small one but I can't be sure.

Input / Feedback here?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really tried to like the M&P in its stock form. However, once I did a little dremel work to the small backstrap up where the seam hit my shooting hand thumb joint I liked it quite a bit. What I didn't like was the appreciably more complicated action system the M&P has over the Glock and the fact the M&P has more parts. Again, no big deal, but I am a certified M&P & Glock armorer so I have more than a nodding acquaintance with two designs. I wish I could put the Glock innards into an M&P frame, then after a little grinding M&P/Glock would be close to perfection. OK, neither can have a 1911 trigger but a good trigger job and replacement of the stock Glock trigger with a Fulcrum trigger gets a pretty good trigger.

Ha ha. There's just something about the way the M&P looks when I'm looking down the slide through the sights. I like that a lot. I do like that the Glock is simpler, has less parts and has a much longer proven track record. I've pretty well decided I'm going with the Glock 19 unless I were to find out the backstrap was mixed up. That would make it more difficult choice.

I like the feel of the Gen 4 Glock 17/19 much more than the 2nd and 3rd generation models. I also like the feel of the M&P and feel like it shoot's and handles a bit better for me. Now with this aside i did something rather radical for me, i purchased a Ruger SR9 and flipped the hackstrap insert over to the flat side. It feel's better to me than either the Glock or S&W M&P and it has a superior out of the box trigger in comparison to any Golck I've owned. The trigger pull is more crisp than the M&P's I have shot as well. So, don't be afraid to try different pistol's, you might be plesantly suprised.

My sister-in-law was at the house today and she brought her M&P9. She uses the medium back strap (wow, I must really have small hands, lol). It didn't feel as bad as the one in the store to me so I'm wondering if the large was actually installed on the one in the store. I should probably really find out and then rent both guns and shoot them side by side to get the one I most favor. The M&P does point awfully nice. Of course, I'm coming from 1911 and XD world so that makes sense.

Never noticed the hump either. I use the large back strap that il duce stipled. Love the M&P. I have the xdm to, but was never comfortable with it in competition. But it is still is my EDC.

Just curious, but why do you shoot M&P in competition and EDC the XDm? Part of the philosophy I'm narrowing down to for myself is that I want to shoot more competitions and take more training classes. Both are very fun and keep skills sharp. However, I feel like what I shoot in those capacities, with lots of rounds down range, ought to also be what I carry daily. That way, everything is uniform across the board and there are no surprises if a bad day ever presented itself and defense was necessary.

Just curious, but why do you shoot M&P in competition and EDC the XDm? Part of the philosophy I'm narrowing down to for myself is that I want to shoot more competitions and take more training classes. Both are very fun and keep skills sharp. However, I feel like what I shoot in those capacities, with lots of rounds down range, ought to also be what I carry daily. That way, everything is uniform across the board and there are no surprises if a bad day ever presented itself and defense was necessary.

Not a well thought out plan, just worked out that way. M&P felt right at home after the first match with it. I'll shoot anything. I'll give a Hi-point a try in a match if someone has one ;) . Shoot what feels good.