Where to get started

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I had asked a question about reloading over on XDTalk and was sent the following in a private message. I have not investigated this yet so I cannot speak to the accuracy of the information, but it is something I will be following up on when the time comes.

f you are serious about looking into reloading be sure and review the RCBS Pro 2000 progressive press and the station on that press that has a powder check die. It PREVENTS you from double loading or from not loading. By PREVENTS I mean the press STOPS and will not let you continue until you fix the problem manually. I have used this press for about 12000 rounds now and I have yet to have a squib or a double.

• Administrator

One of my many regrets is not having had my grandfather teach me reloading before he passed away. He was a beat policeman, assistant chief of police, head of security for a nuclear plant and an avid, competitive marksman for more than half of his life.

Unfortunately he retired from competition before I was born and we never even got a chance to shoot together after I became involved with the hobby. He did teach me the basics about firearms and is the man who first put me behind a 22LR as a youth and taught me how to shoot, though.

Guest Ramtough47

While there are several good books on this subject[and i recommend you reading up on this] do as i did....find you someone who has been reloading for a while and learn from him/her.It would be even better if they are using the same reloading setup as you are, example:Dillion 550 or 650 or a Lee set-up.

Ramtough hit the nail on the head. You can read all the books you want to, but theres nothing like sitting down with someone whos been doing it for years to help you along and learn the ins and outs. Your quest for a mento will be worth it!

Guest Terry J

I'm new to the site but so far it looks pretty good. I started reloading with my dad years ago but until the last couple of years I never really got into it. I prefer the single press over the progressive ones just for the simple fact of making sure everything is presise. I use my dads old hornady 007 press and a hornady scale and powder measurer. Since i learned from him i guess im kinda old fassioned in that way. but hey its worked for him for 30+ years so it cant be that bad. I think I might have 350$ in my setup and I bought everything from midwayusa.com. Except for my press which i inhereted from my dad. Happy reloading. Also a hand primer is a must!!!

Guest Idahoser

I'm no expert, but I have studied up on this subject; and have 'gotten started' twice now. That's so far the extent of it.

But here's something I found over and over:

Don't start with a progressive setup.

The best press to try first is the Lee Hand Press.

If you want an explanation, keep reading; or you can just go on down and read all the people who started with progressives cuss me out for telling you they wasted a lot of money.

Okay, here's why. All the "real" reloaders, who kept at it, and have the big fancy and EXPENSIVE progressive... also use their old single stage frequently. Something or other such as "easier than setting up the progressive"... whatever reason, they still have and use the old single stage. So it is NOT a waste of money, you will keep using it even if you do choose, later, to move up to the fancy rigs.

Alright, the Hand Press: will also be used after you have a "real" press. Not only can you put it in a backpack and reload at the range, but you can sit with your family and perform some non-critical stage like decapping or sizing. Wouldn't have powder in the setting, but there's other things.

So, for a newbie, I think the Lee Hand Press is the way to start out. You can reload real cartridges that work; you have a useful tool that will be useful even if you do decide to move up (and you'll have a better idea what to expect from the expensive stuff); and you have the ability to reload without spending the time money and effort to make or jury rig a bench. Yes, you still need a clean undisturbed area to work, but that can be your kitchen table or desk with a hand press; you don't have to bolt it down.

If somebody gives you a bench-mount single-stage press (happens a lot) you can make a board to bolt it to, then c-clamp the board to a table or desk; that's alright to start with too, I wouldn't tell you to buy a hand press instead-- use that.

All I'm trying to get across is that you can start reloading with some basics, without wasting money on stuff that becomes obsolete when you move on to mor expensive stuff... these tools will still be useful, and you'll still use them.

One more thing- the "Lee Classic Loader" really does work, for that $15 plus a plastic hammer you really can load. But it's noisy as heck, and you won't do it for long if you live around other people. Not useless, but not the perfect solution it seems to be at first, either.

• 1 month later...

Idahoser,

That was a great write up!!!

I just started myself. I didn't want to and couldn't spend the money to get a dillon, so I went with Lee instead. I don't regret it for a moment. I got the press kit off of flea-bay and the dies from MidwayUSA. My total investment has been around $150.00 (maybe less).

I can imagine that when I do "upgrade" to the progressive loader, I will still continue to use the lee press.

Ryan

Nice, Idahoser.

and you're right..I still use alot of the hand tools and simple equipment that I bought when I first started reloading.

I cant honestly say that I know much more than what it takes to reload 45, 9mm and 7.62 to military standards...I've tried working on match grade type stuff but so far, I haven't gotten it to where I want it...and its harder for me, as I cant just take off and try a brainstorm here with my type of work...so I look forward to all the posts on here!