Survival Gear

Answer HONESTLY:

What "survival" gear do you KEEP in your vehicle should it break down and you need it?

Personally, I am just starting this so I have very little, but it consists of a pancho and some tie-down straps.

I figure I can use the pancho as shelter if need be, and the tie down straps might help pull me out though they aren't rated for it, they couldn't hurt.

I plan on adding to it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of now I have a 20-25' length of 550 cord and an assortment of odd towels. I have never set out to form a true survival kit though I would like to. I particularly want to get together a basic emergency kit for my and my wife's vehicles.

That is what I am looking at doing dk. I don't like the thought of her being out with the kids with out a way to take care of themselves.

Legality question. My wife does not have a permit, I can still keep an UNLOADED and LOCKED pistol in the car as long as it isn't stored with the Ammo. Say put it under the back seat and the ammo with the spare?

Guest LiLBucket

I have a few things in a duffle bag in my trunk. Mainly the things I have are tools for doing basic repairs to get me somewhere to perform a permanent fix.

These include:

Wrench set

socket set

Vise grip pliers

philips and flat screw drivers (big and small)

channel lock pliers

wire strippers w/crimper

wire connectors

electrical tape

tire plug kit

small cigarett lighter air pump

knife

multimeter

zip ties

6 ft of electrical wire

jumper cables

file

assorted automotive fuses

towels

small bottle of hand cleaner

flashlight

lighter

and more things that I can't think of off the top of my head I'm sure!!

The survival type things that I have in the bag are:

flares

glowsticks

compass

waterproof matches

survival blanket (foil type)

magnesium fire starter

emergency fishing kit

first aid kit

I'm sure there are a few other things I'm forgetting, but those are the main things.

I've used quite a few of the things listed over the 3 or 4 years I've had them in the trunk. More times than anything it was to help someone else out or to do something other than emergency repair or survival. For the most part these things are extra tools and whatnot that I had in the garage and a few extra camping supplies. Like I said, I have all this in a medium size duffle bag. I usually transfer it to whatever vehicle I may use for any decent period of time.

It came in handy on a long trip in a company car once. The coworker that I was traveling with thought I was a bit odd when I loaded the duffle bag with my luggage. Well, he was really glad I had it when a simple fuse blew to the cigarette lighter!!! Needless to say, he now packs one too!

In all honesty I keep virtually no "survival" gear in my car. I have stuff to repair the car and during the winter I keep a sub-zero sleeping bag there just in case I got caught out in a snowstorm and am too lazy to do the stuff I know I should do. There is always ammo for the handguns of course and sometimes a spare gun or two.

But survival is a matter of training as well as equipment. If you know what you are doing, survival requires very little equipment.

I keep a couple of GPS units in the car, one for roads and one for cross-country terrain. They provide basic mapping capabilities in case I had to hike out. Just conserve the batteries!!!! These days, a cellphone will get you out of most scrapes.

I carry a gun. My wife carries a gun. We both have cell phones as well. It's not remote enough for me to tie up the whole back of my wife's explorer or my toolbox on my truck with "survival gear". In the winter I have a couple blankets in the toolbox in case we get stuck or run off of the road and that's just about it.

Guest jackdog

first aid kit, extra ammo, a change of clothes and a couple of poncho liners.

that's about it for me. Whoops always have compass in the vehicles as well

- my brain

- my cell phone

- my gun(s)

- my pocket knife

- tool kit (flashlight, wrenches, pliers, duct-tape, fuses, etc...)

- first aid kit (bandages, aspirin, disinfectant, etc...)

- sealed gallon of distilled water

- spare tire

- gas can (admittedly, not in every vehicle... need to fix that)

- a blanket

- emergency flares

- jumper cables

Listing all those makes it seem like there's more that there really is... It certainly isn't a full-on SHTF survival kit. We're still putting together fully equipped bug-out-bags for such occasions, but they wouldn't be likely to stay in any of the vehicles...

In my truck's toolbox I have a sleeping bag, collapsable shovel, 550 cord, small bamboo fishing pole, a couple lighters, and a multi tool.

If i'm traveling more then just around the city I'll grab my backpack, in it is a first aid kit, ka-bar(short), camelback, compass, surefire, webbing, MRE, duct tape, more 550 cord, gps, bandana, matches, small mirror, multiple sets of extra batteries, some rope, harness, and some cold weather gear. and anywhere from a a couple boxes to a brick of .22 ammo for my lever action rifle which also travels with me.

where are you guys out driving?? :) sure when i go camping, mountain biking, snowboarding, i pack specific gear for said event. i always have tools in my 4runner for work, but for day to day driving, i'm never out of "civilization."

Guest ProguninTN

Mostly what everyone else has has said. I will add that in addition to a flashlight, I also have a 1 million candlepower spotlight (Very handy when driving in rural areas,) road maps and a topography map, and extra batteries. (GPS, flashlights, etc. don't do any good with dead batteries).

Someone gave me one of those generator flashlights as a birthday present. Actually works pretty well and you never run out of batteries. Not in the car though. For some reason it's on the nightstand. Probably because I like to play with it. They make bigger versions that will also run your cellphone. I'm waiting for the version with the built-in blender. :)

Guest GlocKingTN
Someone gave me one of those generator flashlights as a birthday present. Actually works pretty well and you never run out of batteries. Not in the car though. For some reason it's on the nightstand. Probably because I like to play with it. They make bigger versions that will also run your cellphone. I'm waiting for the version with the built-in blender. :P

When it comes out Mars, you will have to haul it in a seperate trailer or something!:)

Guest Phantom6

For the vehicles:

(1) Small socket set

(1) Screw driver set

(1) Vice grip pliers

(1) Channel lock pliers

(1) Small selection of hose clamps

(1) Roll of electrical tape

(1) Tire plug kit

(1) Air compressor with cigarette lighter plug

(1) Jumper cables

(4) Flares

(1) Fire extinguisher

For the humans:

These are the things I keep in each of our cars and trucks. It all fits in a small gym bag in the trunk or behind the truck seats.

(1) Mirror

(1) Compass

(1) Whistle

(1) Basic first aid kit

(1) Disposable butane lighter

(1) Zip lock bag full of excelsior (tender for starting fires)

(3) Emergency candles

(1) Can Sterno

(1) Pkg. of fish hooks and 10 ft. of line

(1) Complete change of clothes

(1) Survival blanket

(1) Hooded Poncho

(1) Pair work gloves

(1) Bottle of water purification tablets

(1) 1 Qt. Bottled Water

(1) Metal coffee cup

(1) Small jar of freeze dried coffee

(4) Power bars

(2) Indiv. Sized Cans of Beanie Weenies

(4) 12 Hour Green Light sticks

(1) Swiss Army Knife

(1) P-38 can opener

(1) Roll of Duct Tape

(1) 50’ Roll of 550 cord

(1) LED Flashlight and replacement batteries

(1) 6’x6’ poly tarp

(1) Roll of Toilet Paper

(1) Pencil

(1) Pocket Notebook

I always keep a sleeping bag next to my “possibles†bag just in case.

This little “possibles†bag has saved my bacon... er,ah ... at least made my wait much more comfortable on two separate occasions

I'm gonna have to look for one of those wind-up rechargable flashlight/AM-FM radio/cell phone rechargers with the blender attatchment that Marswolf spoke of. It would sure make margaritas more do-able come cocktail hour when stuck on the side of the road or the side of a mountain. :)

Guest Archimedes

Aaaa-HA!

Someone else who carries an extinguisher.

I don't know why people drive around in a fireball-on-wheels without one.

I carry most of the stuff mentioned....'cept for the food.

~Archi

Aaaa-HA!

Someone else who carries an extinguisher.

I don't know why people drive around in a fireball-on-wheels without one.

I carry most of the stuff mentioned....'cept for the food.

~Archi

Well I keep one in my Mustang, but that's because it's irreplaceable.

If my 99 Ranger caught on fire I wouldn't piss on it. I'd grab my wallet, gun, and phone out of it, stand there and smile as I thought about the insurance check.

I have a few pocket knives, a SureFire 6P flashlight with a 120 lumen bulb, a handheld CB radio and the all important roll of toilet paper! I think the last item is by far the most important. :)

Guest db99wj

Mainly my gun.....I live in Memphis, that is a necessity for survival!

GPS

Batteries

Flashlight,

lighter

jacket

complete mechanics toolkit

multitool with knife

fire extingisher

flame thrower

zip ties

air compressor

antifreeze (see below)

transfercase lubricant (just because I keep forgetting to take it out)

That's about it, if I was going somewhere remote, more stuff would be added.

Guest Archimedes

Oh, I don't think anyone has listed it, but it makes having a compressor alot more valuable....

One of those tire repair kits with the two tools and the long, sticky plugs for punctures.

I always have one of those and use it quite often on my own vehicle as well as others.

~Archi

Guest Voodoo_1

I need to do a better job with this:

Generator Flashlight (got for Christmas)

Pancho

(In Winter) Extra Heavy Coat & Wool Blanket

Lighter

Cell Phone & Charging Adapter

Handgun (Carry Gun)

Swiss Army Knife

Leatherman Muti-Tool

Flood Light (plug in cig. lighter type)

Saw this several months ago and thought it was an interesting idea.

http://www.mossberg.com/JIC.htm

I own a Mossberg 500 Series Tactical so I know they are great shotguns. The only problem is, mine is always at home.