So I took the Hangun Carry Permit Class.....

Guest footbasebasket
I also took the handgun class from John Sneed.....FRAUD!!! Luckily the man that hosted John's class refunded my money, but now it's possible that I may have to go to court for this mess. I found this out after the TN Highway Patrol (criminal investigation department) call to do a formal interview with me and had me send in proof of my payment to acknowledge that this guy accepted money for a service and didn't provide the service. he knowingly accepted payments with the intent of keeping it and not providing the Handgun Certification that he promised. the crazy thing is that he mentioned in the class that he had a previous class that he taught and they were STILL waiting for the certifications and he didn't know what the State's problem was or why they were taking so long?? He told us it routinely took 2-4 weeks for the State of TN to send us our certifications of course completion after he submitted our grades to them.
[quote name='footbasebasket' timestamp='1351883606' post='837910']
.... He told us it routinely took 2-4 weeks for the State of TN to send us our certifications of course completion after he submitted our grades to them.[/quote]

Wow, I can't believe how blatant he was. (Of course the instructor issues the certs right after completion of the class, you have them in hand when you leave).

- OS
  • Like 1
[quote name='Sour Kraut' timestamp='1352222753' post='840087']
Glad to hear it.. People who dont know better get taken by assclowns like that .Sad that now even these places become a place to scam people..

Is that a felony or will he get off with smack on the hand?
[/quote]

Basically seems over $500 is felony, actual amount determines the level of felony, from E up to B.

I would hope the amount is based cumulatively on total volume of scam, and not per individual client, and if Newman is right, sounds like it will be --although a whole bunch of Class A misdemeanors would work fine if forced to serve consecutively, could actually be quite a bit worse in stir wise.

- OS Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1
The state is speaking to everyone in the class I took. That class alone was more than $500 with of attendees costs. 15 x $95 each as well as all the other classes this jerk did. He is going to get hit hard by the state. Jail time for sure
  • Moderators
[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The state is speaking to everyone in the class I took. That class alone was more than $500 with of attendees costs. 15 x $95 each as well as all the other classes this jerk did. He is going to get hit hard by the state. Jail time for sure[/font][/color][/quote]

What amazes me is that a person would even be able to do something like this more than once, unless it was literally all within a month period or so. Did some people literally just pretend they never took the class or assume that they must not have been "approved" for whatever reason when they never received their "scores" from the state?
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest dkramos73

I would like to share my experience with John Sneed of Triple E Personal Protection Academy. I knew John personally for two years prior to taking a class with him. I would have actually referred to him as a friend. We had worked together for those two years in an industry unrelated to firearms. During that time I had expressed my interest in getting certified. He agreed to teach a class at my home for a group of our mutual friends and some of my family members. We held the class in February of 2012. I had over 12 people visit my home on the recommendation I gave them of John's abilities. He actually conducted a great class and it was informative. We finished the day at the range. Since that time, over one year later, I nor any of the people that attended the class in my home have received their certificates or a refund. John has refused to return any of my calls, emails, or texts. He even unfriended me on Facebook!! He also stopped interacting with other mutual friends that had attended the class. This guy is a straight up CROOK!!

I just took another certification course at NRange in Madison, TN. It was a good group of professionals and I received my certificate at the end of the class.

Guest jrsneed
*I sent this reply to David; however, I would like to share it with anyone who may have been impacted by any of my actions. I would have responded to earlier posts but I just learned this evening of this particular chain. I appreciate this forum and the great information shared amongst others. I am personally embarrassed to be the topic of this post (and cognizant of the fact that I caused it), but do really respect what the folks running this site do*

Hello David,
I'm sorry for the way all of this has ended up. I am no longer teaching any classes and do not have any current license with the state of TN. I have actually spent the last several months complying with the state's requirements as a result of their investigation. During part of this year, I taught classes (yours included) under the "sponsorship" of another individual whom I thought was operating a legitimate training academy. His false claims and my own lack of follow-up and due-diligence resulted in my not being able to deliver on my promises to those who trusted me to assist them with this process. After your class, I was assured (after addressing several issues with my former "partner") that he would make full restitution to everyone whose information I had forwarded to him. A combination of my trust in him to make things right and my own huge embarrassment no doubt caused further delay in confirming that all of that had been resolved. Afterwards, I applied directly to the state to continue teaching classes under my own school's license. While awaiting approval, I taught classes as an individual pending my approval. I did teach another class after being assured that approval was forthcoming with the goal of providing all of the certificates as soon as I was given the go-ahead. Because of the gap in time and the delay in getting final approval from the state, a complaint was submitted to the state. I was contacted by the state, met with them, and complied with their requirements. I do fully accept responsibility for my overzealousness to get my classes underway prior to having checked all of the boxes. Additionally, I accept responsibility for not doing my due-diligence with regards to all requirements set forth for potential schools and instructors. With regards to your specific class, please contact me directly and I will arrange to meet or deliver within 24 hours any funds that are owed to you and any others. Between another individual and I, who hosted the last class, we have fully refunded all participants. I would like to say that I hope that the caliber of my class, teaching, and the information conveyed in the course, would be somewhat of an indication that it was not my intention to defraud anyone. I can certainly understand, however, the frustration and anger felt by anyone who was impacted by my actions. Again, please contact me to arrange any refund due. John.
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest cheezemills

Took the handgun carry permit class 4 weeks ago and have still not received ANY paperwork yet from the DOS. I did not think it would take this much time just to receive the yellow slip of paper in the mail saying I passed and to go get fingerprinted, etc. I thought that this part was less time consuming and that the real "wait" comes after you get fingerprinted, etc and wait for the actual permit.

What gives??? Is this normal or should I raise some h-ll with the class instructor and his business that provided the class?

Thanks!

Took the handgun carry permit class 4 weeks ago and have still not received ANY paperwork yet from the DOS. I did not think it would take this much time just to receive the yellow slip of paper in the mail saying I passed and to go get fingerprinted, etc. I thought that this part was less time consuming and that the real "wait" comes after you get fingerprinted, etc and wait for the actual permit.

What gives??? Is this normal or should I raise some h-ll with the class instructor and his business that provided the class?

Thanks!

I took my test in a guys living room down here in marshall county and even he had his state certified paper displayed in open sight and it showed the number of students he could have at one time which was 10. So if you are not sure ask around make sure they are legit. The guy I went to actually gave me my completion forms as soon as I paid and then we did the whole class deal after that , so I could have just walked out the door then I guess he couldnt have made me take the test even. You should get two copies of the completion form , the white copy is for the dmv and the yellow copy is for your records.
John, I still have not received my refund. I'm sure you still have my address from the paperwork I filled out with you. Please mail the money to me.

Jeff Newman

*I sent this reply to David; however, I would like to share it with anyone who may have been impacted by any of my actions. I would have responded to earlier posts but I just learned this evening of this particular chain. I appreciate this forum and the great information shared amongst others. I am personally embarrassed to be the topic of this post (and cognizant of the fact that I caused it), but do really respect what the folks running this site do*Hello David,I'm sorry for the way all of this has ended up. I am no longer teaching any classes and do not have any current license with the state of TN. I have actually spent the last several months complying with the state's requirements as a result of their investigation. During part of this year, I taught classes (yours included) under the "sponsorship" of another individual whom I thought was operating a legitimate training academy. His false claims and my own lack of follow-up and due-diligence resulted in my not being able to deliver on my promises to those who trusted me to assist them with this process. After your class, I was assured (after addressing several issues with my former "partner") that he would make full restitution to everyone whose information I had forwarded to him. A combination of my trust in him to make things right and my own huge embarrassment no doubt caused further delay in confirming that all of that had been resolved. Afterwards, I applied directly to the state to continue teaching classes under my own school's license. While awaiting approval, I taught classes as an individual pending my approval. I did teach another class after being assured that approval was forthcoming with the goal of providing all of the certificates as soon as I was given the go-ahead. Because of the gap in time and the delay in getting final approval from the state, a complaint was submitted to the state. I was contacted by the state, met with them, and complied with their requirements. I do fully accept responsibility for my overzealousness to get my classes underway prior to having checked all of the boxes. Additionally, I accept responsibility for not doing my due-diligence with regards to all requirements set forth for potential schools and instructors. With regards to your specific class, please contact me directly and I will arrange to meet or deliver within 24 hours any funds that are owed to you and any others. Between another individual and I, who hosted the last class, we have fully refunded all participants. I would like to say that I hope that the caliber of my class, teaching, and the information conveyed in the course, would be somewhat of an indication that it was not my intention to defraud anyone. I can certainly understand, however, the frustration and anger felt by anyone who was impacted by my actions. Again, please contact me to arrange any refund due. John.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a Tennessee Certified Handgun Safety Course instructor and here's what the State's rules say:

After successful completion of the course the student may be given the completion certificate or it may be mailed to him or her.

No specific time is given, but of course your 6 month limit starts when you pass the course, not when you receive your certificate.  If your course was taught by one or two instructors it is very possible he (or they) don't have the time during the class to complete the certificates for all the students and present them at the end of the class.  In that case the certificates would have to mailed, but I would assume they should go in the mail within a day or two.  The next step is for you to take your certificate, proof of citizenship (original birth certificate or current passport) and $115 (cash, certified check, money order or credit card.  No personal checks.) to a full-service driver's license office, fill out the application and submit it, get your photo taken and get instructions to get your fingerprints taken and submitted to Nashville.

I believe most schools work like ours does.  We have four (sometimes five) instructors teaching the class, which allows several of us to complete the certificates for all the students during the classroom portion of the course while one of us is presenting a lesson, and all of us to keep an eye on the firing line during the shooting phase.  We always provide the students with their completion certificates before they leave the classroom after successuflly completing the class.