This disgust me

Spots

I was reading a draft power forum I frequent, and found this article. I know there are a lot of people here who loves animals, and several horse and mules riders in the crowd. This museum euthanized and stuffed two HEALTHY living mules for a display. I've written them a stronly worded letter, and will be spreading the boycott. I understand the animals were past their prime, I've worked mules and horses my whole life. But I don't think it was right to deny them their final years out to pasture relaxing, just because a stupid museum wanted a "life like" display. And yes I know the trader said their next stop was dog food, but there are hundreds of people who have stepped forward trying to purchase the mules for rescue before the museum did this. Fake, animtronic mules would have been perfect and conveyed the importance just as well. Disgusting....

http://www.kcbd.com/story/19565984/american-museum-of-agriculture-euthanizes-2-mules-for-exhibit

Their facebook page if you would like to let them know what you think of this behavior.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Museum-of-Agriculture/187087493451?ref=ts

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Like there's a shortage of old sick mules? :shrug:

They could have easily found one that was in poor health and knocking on heavens door. A good taxidermist could smooth out anything that didn't look good.

To beat all, they could have went to any number of wax museum professionals and had a reproduction made.

People are idiots.

I read that and its really sad...

There are 2 sides to this tho..

you know about the recent issues we are having with slaughter houses etc..

A lot .. if not most older ones end up on the truck bound for Mexico and I dont think I have to tell you how they are treated there ( from the pickup to the final destination)

I must wonder if this humane euthanasia wasnt a better end for these 2 animals than being on a truck bound to Mexico.

I am by no means on their side.. but given the alternative I think this was a better more gentle and humane way.

I would have hoped they would have lived their lives out on a green pasture .. but most of the times they end up at sale lots bound for slaughter.

I recently was seriously considering buying a 17 HH draft/Mule X that was bound for slaughter...He was huge and was used by the amish.. broke to pull/ride.. beautyful animal..But was to late.. he was adopted to a good home.. Look up New Holland sales .. you will be appaled how many amish horses end up at this sale barn

And horses and mules are still considered lifestock..That in itself is the problem..Lifestock is just that.. Lifestock.. no consideration on the history that these animals had such a huge part in it...

Edited by Sour Kraut