Is H.R. 5782 something we want?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree strict carry laws in states that dont' even allow carry now would be an improvment.

I aslo agree most states aren't likely to change their current laws based on federal regulations.

I'm just saying there could be slight chance some could, but I think that chance is so small as to make the bill worth supporting.

No, I assign you to the tin foil hat brigade because instead of articulating reasons why this might not be good you mutter darkly about the government.

Newsflash: No legislation is going to reference the 2nd Amendment. They don't do that. If you're waiting for that, you'll be waiting a long time.

As you say, thank you for playing.

Guest GUTTERbOY
When they made the Federal carry law for LEO's, they put the same state law crap in it, so it pretty much nullifies the law. Right now you can carry in most states, so what good is it going to do if this gets passed, New York is still off limits and S.C. is still good.

According to the DOS site, there are currently 15 states which do not recognize our HCPs. That's 15 more states where I can carry if I decide to visit, or even to pass through them. Folks in other states may stand to gain even more than that.

I have heard some folks who think that this bill is bad on the ground that it is a further imposition on states' rights. I can't say that I blame them for feeling this way, as states' rights are currently going the way of the dodo. However, rather than viewing this as another nail in the coffin of states' rights, I instead view it as an enforcement of the "full faith and credit" clause of the Constitution:

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

I have a TN driver's license, which is recognized by all 50 states in this country. I am still subject to local laws regarding where and how I may drive, but I still retain my driving privilege as a matter of course, pursuant to federal law. So I can drive in any state in the land, despite the fact that education and licensing requirements may vary by state. Thus, it seems indicated to me that the same thing should be enforced with carry permits without the need for separate reciprocity agreements like we have now.

Guest nraforlife
I have a TN driver's license, which is recognized by all 50 states in this country. I am still subject to local laws regarding where and how I may drive, but I still retain my driving privilege as a matter of course, pursuant to federal law. So I can drive in any state in the land, despite the fact that education and licensing requirements may vary by state. Thus, it seems indicated to me that the same thing should be enforced with carry permits without the need for separate reciprocity agreements like we have now.

Yes but you know that red is stop, yellow is caution and green is go in all States, except TN where red is stop, green is go, and yellow is floor it. The issue I see is the hodge podge of restrictions that are not anywhere near uniform.