9mm conversion for Sig P229 in 40SW

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Reportedly (as I have no first hand use) Bar-Sto is good stuff. The barrels are considered semi-drop in I bleieve as in some of the barrels drop right in and others require fitting. AFAIK, you can send your 229 into Bar-Sto or have a gunsmith that you trust to do the fitting. In these days of ammo prices I'd say go for it. Check out www.sigforum.com and you'll probably find more info.

I just received a Barsto barrel in 9mm for my 229. Fortunately, mine fit perfectly without any handfitting being necessary. If it does not fit, you can send your barrel and slide (only) back to BarSto and they will properly fit it for $18, which includes shipping. I would highly recommend having them fit it as I have bought (and returned) two examples of used barrels that had been butchered by the original owners. I got mine from Top Gun Supply. They just got some in stock - don't know how long until this batch is gone. Cost-$200.

Thanks for all the info. I got the barrel in today (from topgunsupply) and installed it. I won't be able to get to the range until tomorrow, but it seems to fit perfectly. The lockup is tight, and the slide action is fine. When these barrels need to be adjusted, is it due to feeding issues? Everything else seems correct.

Just a quick report. I shot the 229 this afternoon at ASP in Joelton. I shot with the stock 40SW barrel and the Bar-Sto 9mm barrel, and used the 40sw mags for both. Everything worked flawlessly (Feeding, lockup, etc).

This was my first time shooting a Sig (or any DAO gun, for that matter), and I was amazed that I was getting 4-6" groups at 15yds (amateurish weaver stance) with both 40sw and 9mm. I am pretty sure with some additional time I'll be able to get 2"-3" groups at that distance.

hi,

i've had a bar-sto 9mm for my 229 for a while but haven't had a chance to shoot it. it fits and locks up nicely so i don't expect any problems.

i've heard before that you could use the stock .40 mags so i'm glad to have you confirm no issues in that respect.

hope you enjoy it. --- definitely cheaper shooting.

bob