Best weapon light for me

I hereby appeal to the vast knowledge of the TGO forum and its members...

I'd like some input on a weapon light and mount for mounting on my AR. I have a PSA dissipator with full length Magpul MOE handguard. I'm planning on putting a mount and light on it and want to know what others think I would require for my particular uses.

First off, it obviously needs to be solid, reliable parts.

Secondly, I don't want to spend over $100 on the light. I'd also like to know what you all think about the lumen requirement. The primary role for this light is to be something that I could use inside my house if the need arises. More than likely though, the first real world use will be to illuminate coyotes on my property before i send them to doggy hell. The varmints have been getting in my back yard raising a ruckus in the middle of the night and usually when i have gone out they have been about 30-75 yards away from me, so illumination to that max distance would be good.

Any advice, as well as any good deals anyone knows about would be greatly appreciated.

Surefire M600c.

It's over your budget, but I can tell you from experience that I spent well over what these lights cost buying cheaper units when I could have gotten what I knew would work the first time. If you are planning to use this rifle outdoors at all you need to get a light capable of performing. You can usually find used 600's for $150 or so.

General rule is 1 lumen per yard to illuminate, 2 per yard to identify.

Lastly get some low light training to go with your light regardless of what model you end up with.

Mike

Edited by Mike

I'm running a Surefire G2X Tac (200 lumens) with a pelican remote switch mounted on a Vikings Tactical mount. This setup is solid as a rock and BRIGHT!

I think I paid $60, $15, and $25 respectively. I picked the G2X tactical for its brightness, battery life, cost, and single brightness mode. I picked the Pelican remote switch because... well its the only remote switch I know of thats compatible with Surefire lights. Vikings Tactical mount because its really beefy plastic, lightweight, and cheap.

Good luck with your decision!

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk 2

Surefire M600c.

It's over your budget, but I can tell you from experience that I spent well over what these lights cost buying cheaper units when I could have gotten what I knew would work the first time. If you are planning to use this rifle outdoors at all you need to get a light capable of performing. You can usually find used 600's for $150 or so.

General rule is 1 lumen per yard to illuminate, 2 per yard to identify.

Lastly get some low light training to go with your light regardless of what model you end up with.

Mike

Dedicated Surefire weapon lights are ridiculously over priced and severely underpowered. You'd be very hard pressed to see anything with only 100 lumens.

I have no idea why their weapon lights are so behind the curve as far as technology goes especially with how badly marked up they are. Its not like theyre shielded for recoil. I feel a lot better about having an LED instead of an incandescent that can burn out at any second.

Dedicated Surefire weapon lights are ridiculously over priced and severely underpowered. You'd be very hard pressed to see anything with only 100 lumens.

I have no idea why their weapon lights are so behind the curve as far as technology goes especially with how badly marked up they are. Its not like theyre shielded for recoil. I feel a lot better about having an LED instead of an incandescent that can burn out at any second.

The M600 has an LED lamp with 200 lumen output. It's also shock insulated for recoil.

http://www.surefire.com/scout-light.html

Edited by Mike
Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I have a Fenix TK21 with ALG-01 (Picatiny rail mount) that cost me around $100 on my Mossberg 12 Guage. IMO, it is worth saving money to buy a quality light that will last a long time. So far, I love mine and it works great for me.

http://www.fenixtact...fenix-tk21.html http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B004XN1PX6

Random youtube review inbound:

IJalj.jpg

Edited by ArmyVeteran37214

Go with a Surefire and get a clamp for it, I've never really run into many people who use those pressure pads. Might be a personal thing but who knows. Eighty lumens indoors would probably do just fine, and probably work pretty well out to coyote range. I carry a 120 lumen Surefire that can easily light up the back end of my yard about 40 yards out. There isn't any real reason to go all tactical either with a Surefire light or the price jumps up real quick.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Yeah, the Surefire M600C is 200 lumens and also twice as expensive ($300ish) as the old Surefire M600.

Like I was saying, lol..

Like I said in my first post; it's not an inexpensive light. It does however work well, It has enough power to be useful outdoors and is one of the most compact lights you can mount.

Mike

Edited by Mike

Or if you're lucky, you might be able to find a slightly used, older model Scout for about $100 or so. I got one that way but later swapped it for something else. As I said earlier though, you most likely don't need the top of the line tacticool light if you just plan on shooting coyotes, just an LED Surefire and light clamp should be fine.

Edited by gjohnsoniv
  • Like 1

kz offsets are getting good reviews. they sell packages as well. http://www.botachtac...m/talipa15.html

That looks like what i had in mind. The protac hl reviews i have read are really good, and at 600 lumens i think it will suit my outdoor needs very well. The likelihood of using that particular rifle indoors is very slim so 600 won't be excessive. Don't need a fancy handguard-specific light mount either as i can just attach a rail section to the MOE handguard and run that GG&G mount. With the reviews being what they are, I think I'm going to buy that package tomorrow. Will review as soon as possible

I sold my m600c. It was super bright, but the mounting system was built in the flashlight, and I wanted to switch to an offset... I ended up getting a M900V, but I want to get a kz offset with a fenix or streamlight flashlight since i don't use the pressure pad as much as i thought i would.

The Streamlight TLR2 is an excellent light and their customer service is exceptional, neither of which I can say for SureFire. I have owned two lights from SureFire, both were absolute junk, and I am still waiting for SureFire customer service to respond to any of my multiple emails I sent about the Nitrolon G3 that I finally threw in the garbage after over a year of waiting for SureFire to respond. I've owned a total of five Streamlight products and all have been exceptional.

The Streamlight TLR2 is an excellent light and their customer service is exceptional, neither of which I can say for SureFire. I have owned two lights from SureFire, both were absolute junk, and I am still waiting for SureFire customer service to respond to any of my multiple emails I sent about the Nitrolon G3 that I finally threw in the garbage after over a year of waiting for SureFire to respond. I've owned a total of five Streamlight products and all have been exceptional.

If you are having problems with Surefire, give me a call, we're a dealer with them and I can see what we could do to remedy that.
Guest The Dude

Thats odd. I never had an issue with Surefire or their customer service.

If you are having problems with Surefire, give me a call, we're a dealer with them and I can see what we could do to remedy that.

I appreciate it, but I don't own either one anymore. The first was a small light I bought when I started in law enforcement in 1997. I kept it for about a year, but it quit working and I didn't know any better about contacting them for warranty work. I shied away from them after that, tried a couple of MagLite flashlights that weren't much better, and finally dropped money on a Streamlight Stinger around 1999-2000 that I still own and use. I've only put one new bulb in it and two sets of batteries in all of that time. About 3 or 4 years ago I decided to try another SureFire since everyone raves about them. I bought a G2 Nitrolon and in less than 6 months of VERY light and minimal use, it went through 3 or 4 lamp assemblies (and they cost almost as much as the light did new), which leads me to believe it had a short or something. I tried multiple times to contact their customer service and never received a reply. I dug the light out a couple of years ago and tried one last time to contact them about it, but never got a reply. I threw it in the trash and have sworn them off completely. In comparison, every single time I have contacted Streamlight about their products (to inquire about specs or accessories) their customer service is stellar.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot