New here and new to guns

Guest 1126eclipse

Guest 1126eclipse

So decided to go with a buddy of mine to the local gun show a few weeks back and ended up buying my first gun a Smith & Wesson SD9 and have found a new way to pass the time shooting. Picked up a Glock g26 today also at that new local point blank place i saw on here. Not really knowledgeable in guns so have been lurking around here and several other sites just trying to learn and pick up on stuff. Didnt realize all the different guns and options out there till recently. Plans for the future are to attend some kind of gun course and get a carry permit more then likely. Future plans for guns im not sure yet although i wouldnt mind getting some sort of AR15 to play with. Hope to stay around here for awhile and pass the time since i work 3rd shift and dont get out much anymore lol Maybe start contributing more when i learn more.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So decided to go with a buddy of mine to the local gun show a few weeks back and ended up buying my first gun... Not really knowledgeable in guns...

Welcome! This group has been helpful to me so don't hesitate to post your questions. You might want to ask about training classes. Of course, the HCP class is a must if you plan to carry, but you'd probably benefit from a basic firearm safety course. I don't know where or if such a course exists in Murfreesboro, but maybe someone here can suggest something. Novices, Glocks, and accidental discharges seem to be correlated. Good luck and welcome to a really enjoyable pastime.

Guest 1126eclipse

Welcome! This group has been helpful to me so don't hesitate to post your questions. You might want to ask about training classes. Of course, the HCP class is a must if you plan to carry, but you'd probably benefit from a basic firearm safety course. I don't know where or if such a course exists in Murfreesboro, but maybe someone here can suggest something. Novices, Glocks, and accidental discharges seem to be correlated. Good luck and welcome to a really enjoyable pastime.

Ya my buddy has helped me alot with basic things like safety, cleaning, ect.. Not my first time shooting so i know general gun safety although im sure it never hurts to learn more.

Welcome! The only legit advice I can give is to surround yourself with responsible gun owners and their habits will become yours.

Take everything else I say with a grain of salt

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

welcome!

ARs are fun, S&W has a great inexpensive model if money is a concern, its a great "intro" AR (whatever that means, mostly it means it wasnt $2500). I recommend any new shooter buy a good .22 rifle and pistol so you can learn by doing. $20 for 550 rounds of ammo --- the guns will pay for themselves if you shoot them often. The next cheapest ammo is stuff like bottom shelf 9mm at nearly $10 for 50, huge difference. I think nothing of shooting up a box of 500 22s a month.

Gun safety is best if kept simple, really. The 3 common sense rules are enough to remember and will keep you and those around you safe. The lists of 10-20 rules are too much to remember and invariably contain "rules" that are not possible to follow (for example the "rule" never load it until you are ready to shoot makes no sense for an armed citizen).

Edited by Jonnin