Checking interest for NFA engraving

I am considering investing in an engraving machine to do some basic engraving on tags, etc. on the leather items I make, but if I am making an investment on a machine, I am thinking about investing a bit more to get a machine that could do engraving on AR lowers and for NFA purposes.

What would the interest level be for this type of work? What is a reasonable price to charge for such work in your mind? These machines aren't cheap, so I understand why finding people who can do the work is a little difficult and is a little pricey. I'm curious what people think to decide whether to make the investment or not. Any insight my fellow TGO members can provide would be helpful.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely think interest would be there, on a national scale. I don't think you would recoup your money very fast on local business, unless you charge a large amount per. One thing to consider, if you are wanting more than statewide business, youvwould need to get your FFL, if you don't already have one. You would have to have it to receive a AR lower (considered the actual firearm by law) from someone out of state.

I definitely think interest would be there, on a national scale. I don't think you would recoup your money very fast on local business, unless you charge a large amount per. One thing to consider, if you are wanting more than statewide business, youvwould need to get your FFL, if you don't already have one. You would have to have it to receive a AR lower (considered the actual firearm by law) from someone out of state.

Yes, I had considered that aspect as well. If I read the laws correctly, I would be able to do it because I have a place with a separate means of entry in my home that I can use. I wouldn't complain about having an FFL anyhow. :up:

How much are the machines? That will go a long way as to my advice.

I'd be much more apt to have a local engraving, if I had proof it was good work.

Well, let's just say I could buy an engraving machine or a decent used car. Like I said, I'd be getting it to do other work as well, but thought this might be a nice added bonus.

Well, let's just say I could buy an engraving machine or a decent used car. Like I said, I'd be getting it to do other work as well, but thought this might be a nice added bonus.

Damn that's way more than I imagined.

Ok I guess what I should have asked was percentage wise how much more will it cost to do guns vs what you already planned?

Engraving machines capable of doing firearms are pretty expensive.

As far as licensing you would probably need to get a SOT as well to handle NFA items. That is to keep you out of trouble. Before the paperwork comes back the lower is just a title 1 firearm and a FFL with be fine. Once the paperwork comes back the lower is now a NFA item and in order for you to accept you have to have the licensing for NFA items.

From experience, a machine designed to do plaques and jewelery will not be acceptable for most firearms. Also, there are seveal in the area that are already doing engraving for reasonable prices.

Dolomite

Engraving machines capable of doing firearms are pretty expensive.

As far as licensing you would probably need to get a SOT as well to handle NFA items. That is to keep you out of trouble. Before the paperwork comes back the lower is just a title 1 firearm and a FFL with be fine. Once the paperwork comes back the lower is now a NFA item and in order for you to accept you have to have the licensing for NFA items.

From experience, a machine designed to do plaques and jewelery will not be acceptable for most firearms. Also, there are seveal in the area that are already doing engraving for reasonable prices.

Dolomite

Yes, it looks like a machine capable of doing an AR lower would be in the range of $10K plus. I was under the impression virtually nobody did engraving on lowers anywhere around the area. I came to that through the thread on engraving on here and my own efforts to find someone to engrave a lower for me, which came to nill. If there are already folks around, then it likely wouldn't be worth my investment. Thanks for passing that info along.