sw1911. accuracy issues.

[quote name='Jonnin' timestamp='1352985798' post='846005']
sounds reasonable for a tester just shooting it with iron sights and holding it.

I was going to say that a 3 inch hole is a lot of rounds, and I doubt they empty a full box per pistol.

Dumb question, but was the revolver shooting single action/cocked when you did it?
[/quote]

silver action/cocked and benched. I'm not that good of a shoot but for now, I've just want to know what the gun is capable off removing shooter error variation.
Update and a range report:

I made loaded rounds of the following variety:

200 grain Lead SWC from MBC + different Bullseye loads from 4.1 to 5.4
I had about (50) rounds of 230 grain FMJ + 5.5 of Unique
Some factory rounds (Federal 230 grains)
230 grain Lead RN from MBC + bullseye loads from 4.1 to 4.7

I shot unsupported at 13 yards using the 5.5 grains of unique + 230 grain FMJ (same load as before, 5.5 seemed to be the most 'accurate ones' with 5 inches at 25 yards. At 13 yards, it was about 2-3 inches which told me as S&W wrote on their letter, nothing was changed. I fired some factory rounds and it was the same. I then shot a few rounds of the 4.1 Bullseye + 200 grain LSWC and the group was the smallest. I don't have a pic but about 2 inches at 13 yards.

With the me and the gun warmed up, I proceeded to shoot the following groups at 25 yards: This is benched (most were 5 shoot groups (1 was 6). When I say 'benched', i was resting both elbows on the bench, sitting down.

[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/2afd54n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i47.tinypic.com/mjygxu.jpg[/img]

The 4.1 grains of Bullseye + 200 grain LSWC looks promising.

I shot the rest of the misc rounds I loaded (the 230 grain Round Nose seems less accurate than the 200 grain SWC). I'm going to make some rounds with 3.7, 3.9 and 4.1 and see how they do.

I front sight was moving a bit which may explain some of the groups' size. I'm not a great pistol shot but the 2 and a half incher gives me some hope/promise (the last target on the bottom right). Edited by vujade
  • Administrator
I'm not the [i]best[/i] shot in the world but I think you're flinching. Even if that gun's tolerances are at the outside of factory spec and it's so loose it rattles, your grouping should not be that wild. The only explanation I would accept for that being the firearm is if the sights are not only loose but each one mounted on a Slinky.

Sorry. You're welcome to let me shoot it at the range sometime. Like I said, I'm not the best shot but even the worst 1911 I've ever fired had me grouping them a lot tighter than that.
I'd say those are about on par with the way I shoot off hand from about maybe say 10-15 yards but from a bench I have to agree with TGODavid, those look loose. Maybe you could find someone with a ransom rest and take the shooter completely out of the equation?
[quote name='TGO David' timestamp='1353363082' post='848404']
I'm not the [i]best[/i] shot in the world but I think you're flinching. Even if that gun's tolerances are at the outside of factory spec and it's so loose it rattles, your grouping should not be that wild. The only explanation I would accept for that being the firearm is if the sights are not only loose but each one mounted on a Slinky.

Sorry. You're welcome to let me shoot it at the range sometime. Like I said, I'm not the best shot but even the worst 1911 I've ever fired had me grouping them a lot tighter than that.
[/quote]

hi David.

Thanks for the reply. Yep, you can see why i'm utterly frustrated. I saved my lunch money to get the best that i could afford and I'm surprised the grouping is more like a shotgun pattern.

I shoot my s&w 686 with far more recoil and I can group them in 3-4 inches easily. My best being 2.5 inches. This is with the cheapest factory ammo. This is benched of course. I'm not the best pistol shoot but you're right, some of those flyers I KNOW I pulled that trigger with the front sight post right on PIA. I've also had another person at the range shoot it and it failed for him too.

By the way, gun is pretty tight. It doesn't rattle. and I've looked under the sights at least 4 times for that slinky.

Yeah! I'd love if you can give it a try next we're both at the range (I frequent Charlie's range in Spring Hill).
Just two cents, but pick up some snap caps and have someone load a magazine mixing a snap cap in the magazine. You can find out really quick if you flinch. Just changing from my Glock 34 to my 26 I can find myself flinching at times.

Understand that I am not saying flinching is your problem (it doesn't look like a flinch to me), but it doesn't hurt to throw a snap cap in. I frequently do it when plinking to make sure that I am not creating any bad habits that would carry over to a competition.
someone in nashville has to have a test rest. Put it in there, shoot 5, and if they are not all touching at 25 yards, its the gun or the ammo. Do it with 3-4 brands of commercial ammo at 230 grains, and if they all suck, its the gun most likely...
S&W replied back. This is their test/minimum standards:

[i]We run one magazine through the gun at 25 yards groups within three inches[/i]

[i]Ammo[/i]

[i]Federal 230 Grain Hydra-Shok[/i]

[i]Michael[/i]

By this measurement, their test target didn't even meet the standard since they shoot at only 15 yards and the group size was 1.86 inches; that's over 3 inches at 25 yards.
  • 3 weeks later...

It's the same 25 yards.  Same batch of ammo.  More than half the size in groups!  (that's 5 shoots there, it's hard to see the 5th hole but it's essentially went into the same hole on the bottom).

The other groups were still 3-4 inches but 4.3 grains of bullsey seem to get it right on.

Here is the rest of the story:

That little dot target was blurry as heck!  and I had this HUGE headache by the time I was shooting the 3rd group.   I just concentrated and still managed to pull this one off.  When I got home I realized that I put my contacts in wrong!  (left to right and right to left).  I'm going to go back to the range with the same 4.3 loaded ammo But this time with good eyes and then I'll see what it can really do!

I'm a happy camper!

• Like 1

It's the same 25 yards. Same batch of ammo. More than half the size in groups! (that's 5 shoots there, it's hard to see the 5th hole but it's essentially went into the same hole on the bottom).

The other groups were still 3-4 inches but 4.3 grains of bullsey seem to get it right on.

Here is the rest of the story:

That little dot target was blurry as heck! and I had this HUGE headache by the time I was shooting the 3rd group. I just concentrated and still managed to pull this one off. When I got home I realized that I put my contacts in wrong! (left to right and right to left). I'm going to go back to the range with the same 4.3 loaded ammo But this time with good eyes and then I'll see what it can really do!

I'm a happy camper!

Glad to see their quality service is still there. Also glad you got it right.