Smith 442/642 Opinions Please

Garufa

I've decided that either a S&W black 442 or stainles 642 needs to be added to the inventory for carrying purposes. Can't quite make up my mind on the finish. I lean towards the coolness of the 442 but am unsure of the durability. I know that any carry gun will get scratched up to some degree. Who likes what?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mtsusean

I bought a 442 in black strictly for the purpose of having something I could slip in my pocket and go about my business. No holster, nothing. I don't care about the finish, just wanted something functional. I have trophy guns.

I figured the black would be less noticeable on the off chance I move it around, re-adjust etc. but it fits nicely in a pair of 5.11 pants. I might get a thin holster later because it does shift a little but for having something small, reliable, and sufficient to get you out of a bind, a 442 fits the bill.

I like the black 'cause it's more "sinister" looking. I too will mainly just stick the thing down in my pocket when needed. It's only a tool, but I like my tools to look good :death:. Mainly, I'm just curious about the durability of that black.

What do these go for in your areas? Saw both brand new for $459 (which I though might good for this area) at a dealer yesterday. Gun show in Knoxville Saturday-Sunday. Will be doing some browsing there but we all know that's hit or miss.

Edited by Garufa
cant' spell
Guest wheelgunner100

Some folks report issues with the clear finish on the 642. Mine has something that almost looks like small cracks in the finish. Since it is always in my pocket I don't really care what it looks like. I'd say go for which ever you like best.

Guest darkstar

Can't go wrong with either really. Stick that in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster and in a front pocket and good to go. If you shop around you can find these as low as $400 new

Guest Major Pain

I've been carrying a 642 in SS for about 4 years. Its a great gun and I carry in my pocket. In the last year or so it has developed some small specs on the cylinder release side. Its a satin finish so I assume its SS. I don't mind a little wear on my work gun but wonder if anyway to remove the blemishes? Not trying to hijack your thread, just giving a little heads up on what is happening to mine.--------Mike

• Administrator

We have both a 442 and a 642. The 442 is mine and I carry it in my pocket almost all the time. The 642 is my wife's and she will carry it OWB in a slide holster. Both have held up nicely to periodic shooting and neither have any problems with their finish. I opted for black for the same reasons that mtsusean said he did.

Guest Grout

I have a 642 that I carry in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster.I like it a lot.Resist the hype and shoot standard velocity loads.Easier to shoot and easier on the gun as well.

Guest grimel

Buy which ever you can get the easiest. Check with Phantom, I think he can beat $460.

If the finish gets bad, have Predator coat it for $100 and don't worry about it again.

Guest TurboJeff

I had been carrying my model 36 in pocket carry for a long time. It was a bit heavy, so I decided to pick up a 642 about a week ago. It is noticably lighter. I currently use a safariland pocket holster, but I have a Mika on order.

I didn't like the CT grips that are available from S&W as a factory option. They longer that the factory boot grips. I ordered a set of CT LG-405 grips. They are the same bantam size as the factory grips.

I paid $429 for the 642 at a local shop that charges no sales tax if you pay with a debit card. I ordered the grips from the net for $229 with no shipping or taxes.

i'm a S&W man myself, and i love the little J frames. the 442/642 are my favorite of the bunch. they are light enough to still be able to shoot and carry it all day, dont have a hammer to snag as you draw (for me thats usually from a pocket), and they are 5 shot dependability. IMHO you cant beat them!

Guest bkelm18

I have a Taurus 85 with the shrouded hammer (pretty much the same gun as the S&W) and it's a great little pocket gun. I've got a Desantis Nemesis and it rides perfectly in my pocket. I carry it with confidence.

Guest Major Pain
i'm a S&W man myself, and i love the little J frames. the 442/642 are my favorite of the bunch. they are light enough to still be able to shoot and carry it all day, dont have a hammer to snag as you draw (for me thats usually from a pocket), and they are 5 shot dependability. IMHO you cant beat them!

I'm a Colt accumulator but carry a S&W 642 for the last several years(642-1) nice light and no after carry taste. But I trust my life with it. Have several other Smiths all good guns but your right hard to beat the J frame.---------MP