Oak Ridge Sportsmen's Association

Is anyone here a member at ORSA? I had recently thought about joining, but wanted to find out if it is worth $120/year. I have been a member of Norris Watershed for some time now and like the $40/year price tag a lot better, but was just wanting to know if any members here could give me any information on whether or not ORSA is worth the increased price. I sent an email to the address on the website, but got a pretty disappointing answer. Edited by shane_huskey
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='gjohnsoniv' timestamp='1352829348' post='844870']
I think ORSA is definitely worth the price increase.
[/quote]

I was kindof hoping for specific reasons. $120/year is a good chunk of change, so I was hoping for some actual information. What makes it worth $120/year to one person may be a non-issue to another. I guess what I'm getting at is are there actually things of substance like better ranges, better targets etc. or is it more like the grass is greener, the gravel roads are better and the trash cans are closer. The reason I ask is because that's exactly how the indoor ranges are. One range will charge twice as much because they have paint on the walls instead of cinder blocks.
The facility is fairly large. You are given an HID tag that lets you into the gated property. They have a 1000 yard competition rifle range, plinking range, competition pistol range, 200 yard bench rest rifle range. I also believe they have a shotgun and archery area, although I have never been there.

After seeing the facility and shooting there you will understand it is worth it. Since it is a private range, you would need a sponsor in order to gain membership. Whoever you plan to have sponsor you, just have them bring you there one day to shoot and you can decide yourself. In all honesty $120 is a great value for the facilities if you break it down on a per month basis.
Shane: The ORSA facility has a world class 1000 yard range which hosts shooting matches all the time. The place is manicured and is kept in great shape all the time. They host high power and black powder long range matches. It is, indeed, a world class range. It has a 300 yard (...i think...) covered benchrest range with manicured grounds. A small bore shooting rangethat ooks great. An indoor pistol range. A trap range and a stupendously active trap shooting population. A great action pistol range which is used every week; along with a very active SAS shooting club. They also have a plinking range. That's a bunch of stuff. It is worth twice the $120/year.

leroy
Thanks for the responses. That's the exact type of information I was looking for. The response I got from the email address on the website almost made me not even ask on here and just write it off, but I'm glad I did ask. Let me ask one more question. The email address on the website goes to the ORSA secretary. Is that a "held" position or is it more like they needed someone to answer emails and the first guy with a computer got appointed?
[quote name='shane_huskey' timestamp='1352831104' post='844885']
I was kindof hoping for specific reasons. $120/year is a good chunk of change, so I was hoping for some actual information. What makes it worth $120/year to one person may be a non-issue to another. I guess what I'm getting at is are there actually things of substance like better ranges, better targets etc. or is it more like the grass is greener, the gravel roads are better and the trash cans are closer. The reason I ask is because that's exactly how the indoor ranges are. One range will charge twice as much because they have paint on the walls instead of cinder blocks.
[/quote]As the others have said, 1k range, trap and skeet ranges, plinking ranges, pistol pits (or used to) plinking ranges, 350 or 400 yard range, pistol, and a specific pistol/rimfire range for plinking.
Thanks for the information. I'm going to check with some people I know to see if they are members, so I can go take a tour. One more question and I should be through asking. The secretary told me in an email that they didn't need assholes like me in their club. I didn't respond as I felt that it wouldn't do any good to argue with him, but my question is, would it effect me any as far as getting a membership if I decided to, especially since what he said was completely unwarranted? If I was asked about it when I applied for membership, I could show the email and I am sure that anyone that read it would agree that what he said wasn't warranted. And that is actually the whole reason I was asking if it was an actual position or just some random guy to answer emails is because I was wanting to know if he had any control over people getting accepted for membership.
[quote name='shane_huskey' timestamp='1352843259' post='845029']
Thanks for the information. I'm going to check with some people I know to see if they are members, so I can go take a tour. One more question and I should be through asking. The secretary told me in an email that they didn't need assholes like me in their club. I didn't respond as I felt that it wouldn't do any good to argue with him, but my question is, would it effect me any as far as getting a membership if I decided to, especially since what he said was completely unwarranted? If I was asked about it when I applied for membership, I could show the email and I am sure that anyone that read it would agree that what he said wasn't warranted. And that is actually the whole reason I was asking if it was an actual position or just some random guy to answer emails is because I was wanting to know if he had any control over people getting accepted for membership.
[/quote]

Wow. Don't honestly know what to tell you about that. I've never had a bad experience with the staff but then again I've never had to really email or talk to anyone. I don't see how it would affect your membership though since it's not a single person's descision on who joins and who doesn't. I've been a member for over three years now and never had a bad experience. But I'm mostly a loner when I'm there so I've never really had to interact with the staff. I'm sure once you join you'll never have to deal with him again though so I wouldn't let it keep you from enjoying the benefits of a fantastic facility.
120 is, you, your wife, kids under 18.

My wife and I joined this year and enjoy it.

I was a member of Norris for the past couple years, but ORSA is closer for me and I feel I get more out of it. More range options. Also always people around. I have been up at Norris alone and found myself looking over my shoulder too much. Especially after strange cars on the road below pull up, stop, turn around and run the road back and forth.
I think Norris is $30 per person. Since my wife and I go shoot together frequently, that put us at $60. And, since I live in Oak RIdge, I figured I'd come close to spending the balance in gas. Plus, since it's so close, I can just swing by any evening after work and pick up all the free brass that may be laying around. It really is a nice place. Not sure if it was mentioned, but they have a great archery range there too. Two trails with several stations on them that you can shoot from stands or on the ground at all kinds of lifelike targets.
I talked with a guy yesterday evening that is a member on here and a member at ORSA that asked me to forward the email traffic to him. He also asked me if I was okay with him forwarding the email to the ORSA club president, which I told him was fine. Like I said earlier, I am going to check into going up there and seeing what it is like. From what you all have said, I think I would probably enjoy it.
I've been a member for years and will continue unless the yearly fees go way up. Out of all the ranges I only use a few of them. If you are the kind of person that jumps in with both feet ORSA is probably for you, but if you join just to sight in the rifle before hunting season it might not be your thing. Its a nice facility with tons of potential activities. The one thing that does get in my crack is...only certain people can use the 1000 yard range. You have to pull targets or something to gain the right to shoot on that range. I understand people abuse or misuse things, but I pay as much as the next guy. If I'm caught doing something wrong kick me out, if not let me shoot.

Met a lot of nice people at that range and only one di**. Don't let one person make up your mind. Join and if ya don't like it don't renew.
I agree Howler, and I think that is what I'm going to do. The ORSA President sent me an email yesterday evening apologizing for the email that I received and gave all the information that I orginally asked for in a very detailed email. At this point, I do plan on at least trying it for a year.