Remington 870 Express question

jhc77

Currently looking around for an 18" shotgun for home SD/SHTF type of situations. I have an older 870 magnum from my deer hunting days that sits right now. Being an 870, would it be better just to order an 18" barrel and let it be or just pickup another shotgun? About $170 for the barrel or +/- $360 for a new setup. On the fence either way. Oh and getting the tube to hold 6 and on and on. Seems like a new shotgun would be easier. Did I answer my own question, maybe.
Guest ochretoe
If you have an 870 just set it up the way you want. Parts are cheap and easy to find. My patrol 870 is 22 years old now and still my most trusted and relyable gun. Slap a speed feed synthetic stock on it and a tube exstention and you are good to go. You can cut the barrel down to 18" yourself. Dremmel it smooth to match the end of the tube and you are set.
[quote name='UncleJak' timestamp='1352834480' post='844911']
Keep the 870. I traded mine a few years ago and regret it.
[/quote]
Not selling this one. I sold my double barrel 20 gauge a few years ago and kicking myself still. Just thinking about "updating" it. After online searching, I'm thinking I will get another. Two picked out now. Remington 870 (#5077) or a Mossberg 500 (#50780).
The best mossberg for home defense or any kind of tactical modding would be the 590a1, I would stick with 870 if you're going to do it yourself. Especially if you plant on putting a pistol grip and telescoping butt stock like the blackhawks. The Safety on the Mossbergs are not in a very good spot for pistol grip application, just something to consider.
Guest Broomhead
Keep your 870, they're almost as accessorizable as an AR. It's very easy to work on them and trade parts out. I'm not too far and would be willing to help you do whatever to it. I could even help you cut your barrel, with a 7" angle grinder, and grind it flat on my belt grinder.
[quote name='JHC77' timestamp='1352833031' post='844904']
.... Being an 870, would it be better just to order an 18" barrel and let it be or just pickup another shotgun? About $170 for the barrel ...[/quote]

Mossberg makes 870 barrels too, and they're just fine, much cheaper than Remington ones.

- OS
  • Like 1
[quote name='JHC77' timestamp='1352846490' post='845052']

Not selling this one. I sold my double barrel 20 gauge a few years ago and kicking myself still. Just thinking about "updating" it. After online searching, I'm thinking I will get another. Two picked out now. Remington 870 (#5077) or a Mossberg 500 (#50780).
[/quote]

I went into details about some of the differences between the Remington & Mossberg shotgun designs in a thread over in handgun carry / self defense section of the forum (I cannot link to it from my phone) so if you are interested in reading up on some of the differences between the two designs you might find it interesting.