Question for Sig Experts

HanSolo

I do not own a Sig, but i am really interested in buying a P226. I have come across some used ones that appear to be in good condition, but most of them were made in the 80's or early 90's. What is the different between these models and the current ones being produced. Visually, from pics, the only different appears to be a cooler grip, but i wanted to ask the experts.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer: I am not a SIG expert but play one in real life.

There is no difference in the mechanical function. Actually there is no difference in any of the SIG P-series guns with the exception of a switch in slide construction from older to newer models. Older models were stamped metal with forged inserts.

Guest sling

Rabbi pretty much hit it on the head. I second his disclaimer as well. :screwy: There is a lot of debate on whether older Sigs are better quality than newer ones... simply because they're purely German, better quality control, better materials, Teutonic tooling,etc. :-P

New production Sigs have the slide made in Germany and the frame in Exeter, NH.

I have my opinions but thats now what this post is about.

Older Sigs state "Made in West Germany".... new production states "Exeter, NH"

If your ever in Nashville and want to hit the range before you buy... you're welcome to try mine out. You'll fall in love.

Guest darkstar

What Rabbi and Sling said. Han, let me know when your heading up C-ville way and stop in at ASP, let me know and I'll be there with my SIGS. I don't have a 226 but the range does. And you are welcome to try out my 229 or either of my 239's, or the Mosquito (.22)

I have the opportunity to pick up a used P226 that looks to be in very good condition with 2 15rd mags which was manufactured in 1991 for $475 FTF. I am trying to determine if that is really a good deal or not and if I will regret not getting a more recent model.

Guest sling

Holy crap! Dude if you dont pick that up i will! :-P

Check this first...

Wiggle the slide on the frame to make sure its good and tight.

Also, take the slide off the frame and check the rails to see if there is any bare metal exposed on the slide rail. Wiggle is bad... but the bare metal is common. Its because of the very tight tolerances and... not the best metal in the world for a frame. It just means you have to use more lube on the rails. White lithium grease does well.

I'm seconding Sling's opinion. sigs that are in good shape and under $500 are rare as hens teeth.. take it.

Older ones may also have a part or two that are steel instead of plastic. This is typically regarded as a good thing.

Guest sling

Rabbi,

Wiggle isnt exactly a good thing either. I never mentioned he should consider it a deal breaker or that it wouldnt be reliable and accurate. Its just something to be cognizant of.

Guest rockytop
Gee my 239 has lots of wiggle slide-to-frame and has never given me a problem and is accurate as can be.

+ 1 on the 239 slide wiggle. I think its inherent in that model.

Price sounds good to me. Unless it's been used to hammer nails or rusty and scratched up, it will give years and years service.

Rabbi,

Wiggle isnt exactly a good thing either. I never mentioned he should consider it a deal breaker or that it wouldnt be reliable and accurate. Its just something to be cognizant of.

When I first noticed it I was kind of put out. But someone, maybe Rocky the gunsmith, said they do that and it wouldn't be a problem. And it hasn't.

It does sort of detract from the aesthetics of it and all. But it isn't like a 1911 where that would mean serious problems.

So in all, I would also prefer one that didnt have that issue. But it isnt really an issue after all.

I just came across a more recent sig model from a shop online that is CPO for 500 even delivered. Since after paying someone off to receive it I would end up spending $60 more for a factory certified one, I am wondering if that might be a better route.

The only other thing that gives me a little fear on pulling the trigger is I am wondering if i will later regret not getting a Beretta 92 instead. But, from what I have read, the sig is supposedly a better gun. Opinions?

I just came across a more recent sig model from a shop online that is CPO for 500 even delivered. Since after paying someone off to receive it I would end up spending $60 more for a factory certified one, I am wondering if that might be a better route.

The only other thing that gives me a little fear on pulling the trigger is I am wondering if i will later regret not getting a Beretta 92 instead. But, from what I have read, the sig is supposedly a better gun. Opinions?

SIG Heil!

I thought I wanted a Beretta till I got to shoot one yesterday. Not bad but it was on the bottem of the list of what I got to shoot. Top was (no suprise) Sig 226. Try one out before you buy, YMMV.

The certified pre-owned has been gone through by a factory SIG armorer. All worn parts are replaced and it comes with a warranty. Older SIG's had a metal seat for the

main spring (hammer) the newer ones have a plastic seat. I have a few SIG's a couple courtesy of the Rabbi.

I get to shoot M9's (92) all the time. It is way down on my list to own.

Edited by R1100R
Guest darkstar

I don't think you can go wrong either way. You could buy the cheaper one then send it to Sig for their pre-owned special package You send in your pre owned Sig, they strip it, clean it, replace any worn springs, and throw on a pair of night sights. They were running that for $129. Pretty good deal if you ask me. Check out the link

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/SSP.aspx