Got a new shotgun, M590A1

Guest MidTNGlock

Guest MidTNGlock

Never fired a shotgun before today so I was kind of nervous heading over to the range. Had a great time despite rain pouring down the whole time. Recoil was heavy but not as bad as I feared. Shoulder is definitely sore, though.

Shot 30 rounds of 9 pellet 00 buck and 15 rounds of 1 oz slugs, all 2 3/4 inch shells. It's an easy gun to shoot, aside from the recoil. Once I got used to it, the shots went where I wanted. I was actually able to group 4 slugs on the bullseye at 20 yards wich is pretty good shooting for me. The Remington buckshot I was using is probably best used inside of 15 yards. It spread out pretty wide past that point.

Might try some of the Federal shells with the Flitecontrol wad for tighter patterns as I'd like to be able to shoot from 20 yards or so with a tighter spread. I will definitely look for something with reduced recoil for shooting a lot because it sure was fun and I need the practice.

Took a few pics after I got done shooting:

Splotches on finish are from the rain....

IMG_3668_zps610b3169.jpg

IMG_3664_zpscea67f52.jpg

IMG_3667_zpsd8c62d89.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MidTNGlock
Great looking gun! I have a 590A1 with a 20" barrel with ghost ring sights. That gun will probably last lifetimes.

I still regret not going with the 18.5" barrel.

I thought the 18.5 would probably be best for defense indoors but it does run out of ammo quick. The high cap 20 incher would be nice to have.

The extra ammo is really nice, but I have to say the 18.5" is MUCH easier for me to maneuver around. My dad tried talking me into the 18.5" when I bought mine for that reason and of course I didn't listen. He still gives me a hard time about it to this day. If I can find one available I may have to break down and purchase the 18.5" SOON!

Sounds like you had good success with shooting the slugs, but how did you like the bead sight? Any idea how far out you think you could connect with slugs using just the bead?

Nice gun!  I've been wanting to try that Federal with the Flitecontrol wads also.  I purchased some Hornady Critical Defense buckshot and it has something similar to keep the buckshot in a tighter pattern.  Kicks like a mule :) but that's part of the fun.  If you ever get the desire to install a pistol grip, I tried it and couldn't hit anything at all.  Worst money I ever spent and I went right back to the manufacturer's stock.  Good luck with that gun!

Best wishes and Merry Christmas, B

Guest MidTNGlock

The extra ammo is really nice, but I have to say the 18.5" is MUCH easier for me to maneuver around. My dad tried talking me into the 18.5" when I bought mine for that reason and of course I didn't listen. He still gives me a hard time about it to this day. If I can find one available I may have to break down and purchase the 18.5" SOON!

Sounds like you had good success with shooting the slugs, but how did you like the bead sight? Any idea how far out you think you could connect with slugs using just the bead?

Got mine from Buds so you might see if they have them.

Looks like an extension is available for the mag on the 18.5 version.

http://sjhardware.com/store/modules.php?name=catalog&file=product_info&cPath=107_120&products_id=342

Being the worst shot on this forum, I'd just be guessing about shooting this thing at 50 - 100 yards but I think it can be done. hickock45 shoots his accurately using the bead. I'll keep mine stock for now except for maybe a flashlight.

http://youtu.be/zmdMNwSxEcs

http://youtu.be/gp5NHZlFwEE

Guest MidTNGlock
Nice, effective and functional. All it needs.

Nice Mossy, congrats.

When the bear is coming at ya you will never feel to kick!

Nice boomstick. If you find the recoil too much try adding a limb saver recoil reducer. Those things work wonders!

Nice gun!  I've been wanting to try that Federal with the Flitecontrol wads also.  I purchased some Hornady Critical Defense buckshot and it has something similar to keep the buckshot in a tighter pattern.  Kicks like a mule :) but that's part of the fun.  If you ever get the desire to install a pistol grip, I tried it and couldn't hit anything at all.  Worst money I ever spent and I went right back to the manufacturer's stock.  Good luck with that gun!

Best wishes and Merry Christmas, B

Thanks guys and have a great Christmas!

Guest MidTNGlock
great shotgun. i have the 18.5 also. heres a pic of mine should you want any ideas on dressing it up

Looks awesome but I've spent too much on guns and none on training. Being a novice, I need to get my carry permit and sign up for some classes next!

BTW, what do y'all look for when you buy "birdshot"? There is such a wide variety of ammo for these things, I really don't know what to get for practice at the range.

Guest MidTNGlock
I got the 20" with speed feed stock. Things a freaking tank!

I shoot long guns left handed so I didn't want the speed feed thing on the stock. Seemed like it might be too close to my cheek but it does look like a good idea.

BTW, no problems shooting this left handed.

[quote name="glock55" post="867862" timestamp="1356376196"]great shotgun. i have the 18.5 also. heres a pic of mine should you want any ideas on dressing it up[img=http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y441/glock55/20121224_124756_zpscb0fc2a6.jpg][/quote] Looks like a nice set up. I've got mine set up fairly similar. Having the vertical grip saves the hands after putting the rail add-on into the system. I've got the 18.5 also and bought it with the bead. Upgraded to Mossburg ghost ring after the original purchase. Don't recommend doing it this way from a cost perspective; I should have just bought with the sights first off. Of course now a days, would be happy to purchase up whatever I could find available. Merry Christmas to all!
BTW, what do y'all look for when you buy "birdshot"? There is such a wide variety of ammo for these things, I really don't know what to get for practice at the range.

i buy federal multi-purpose load from walmart for practice. at the house that is the load in the chamber. should that not stop the threat the next  rounds are winchester oobuck 9 pellet loads. i keep winchester pdx1 defender in the side saddle should the situation go south

[quote name="glock55" post="867915" timestamp="1356379499"]i buy federal multi-purpose load from walmart for practice. at the house that is the load in the chamber. should that not stop the threat the next  rounds are winchester oobuck 9 pellet loads. i keep winchester pdx1 defender in the side saddle should the situation go south[/quote] I keep the Pdx1 rounds first...and second... and third etc. etc. etc. If I am to the point of shooting someone I don't intend to just wound and risk them getting a parting shot off. This is not aimed at you personally but I've never understood the whole take one shot and assess the situation mentality that many people have. If youre in my house I don't stop shooting until youre either on the floor or out of my range of fire.
 This is not aimed at you personally but I've never understood the whole take one shot and assess the situation mentality that many people have. If youre in my house I don't stop shooting until youre either on the floor or out of my range of fire.

no offense taken. i agree with you but at the ranges in my house i feel bird shot will be effective. i keep the pdx1 as last resort due to possible over penetration if i miss. just to be clear i use this formula: reassess time equals rerack time

no offense taken. i agree with you but at the ranges in my house i feel bird shot will be effective. i keep the pdx1 as last resort due to possible over penetration if i miss. just to be clear i use this formula: reassess time equals rerack time

I hear ya. I've heard some folks reccomend #4 buckshot as a good balance between over penetration and incapacitation. I just personally wouldn't wanna risk them getting off any lucky shots. However, I will say, I've never met anyone who willing to volunteer to test out the effects of birdshot vs. buckshot so I guess anything's better than nothin! :)