What the heck's the matter with people, again.

Story of the week.

I get a call Mon or so from a dealer in TX. Says a customer wants to use me as a transfer dealer.

OK. Who is it?

He gives a name.

I've never heard of this guy. I have no idea who he is. He's never called me or email me.

What guns are they?

Two 9mm pistols.

That should have me suspicious right there. Lack of specifics=probably bad news.

OK, I fax my ffl. Today they arrive.

Matching 9mm Hi Points. So I call the guy who sounds like he's just woken up. I tell him who I am and the guns are here.

OK. Where are you located?

I tell him. Don't people look this stuff up??

He'll call me and tell me when he can come in and get them.

Anyone this stupid and disorganized has about an 80% chance of flunking the background check. That's when the fun will begin.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sling

Cant you get hi-points pretty much anywhere? I wonder if he thinks that because he ordered online\from another state that he doesnt have to do a background check. heh heh. I look forward to hearing about what happens.

Did they come with esstended clips, a novelty gold tooth, aluminum bling, and a box of "ultra death kill cop killers"?

Edited by sling
Cant you get hi-points pretty much anywhere? I wonder if he thinks that because he ordered onlinefrom another state that he doesnt have to do a background check. heh heh. I look forward to hearing about what happens.

Did they come with esstended clips and a box of "ultra death kill cop killers"?

Thats what I was tinkin

Cant you get hi-points pretty much anywhere? I wonder if he thinks that because he ordered onlinefrom another state that he doesnt have to do a background check. heh heh. I look forward to hearing about what happens.

Did they come with esstended clips and a box of "ultra death kill cop killers"?

I strongly suspect you are exactly right.

Yes, I could probably get them. Although you would be surprised at how hard HiPoints are to get. What I am told is they are popular with pawn shops. In Philly they buy them for like $100 and sell them for like $300.

And no, I aint got no esstenders for them.

Guest clutepc

You can never say you have a dull job with people like that.

Matching Hi-Points....I can't think of a thing to say about that...lol

I held one once because someone wanted to show me how heavy they were..if you run out of ammo it will double as a brick.

by looking at all the people on the board..none of us are getting any work done...:rofl:

Edited by clutepc

So if that is the case, how does that work? Does the dealer down there pay to have them shipped back to them, or will you have these works of art available for sale if the deal falls through?

Guest sling

I do believe the dealer will want the guy who ordered them to pay for shipping charges...and probably keep part of the original payment due to sheer headache. If i was in the firearm business that would probably be my disclaimer somewhere... especially if i had to ship. The guy still has to pay the 10 bucks for background.

This would be a first for me, but not for other dealers.

The dealer who sold them isn't going to want to refund the money, so I doubt they will be sent back.

The guy will probably want me to sell them for him. Here's where it gets tricky. Because he'll want me to sell them to his momma, uncle, home boy or whatever. And that ain't happening because that's automatically a suspect straw purchase.

How would you be selling them for him... if he doesnt "own" them since he failed the background check? Just curious

Oh no, he owns them because he paid for them. He just can't take possession of them.

I remember hearing about a case where someone special ordered a high-dollar custom something and then flunked the background check. So he put it on consignment with the shop. Another customer walks in and is interested in it. The owner explained the issue and suggested he call the guy who ordered it and work out a price. They did and he transferred it to the new buyer

ATF charged the shop owner with aiding a straw purchase.

Guest db99wj
Oh no, he owns them because he paid for them. He just can't take possession of them.

I remember hearing about a case where someone special ordered a high-dollar custom something and then flunked the background check. So he put it on consignment with the shop. Another customer walks in and is interested in it. The owner explained the issue and suggested he call the guy who ordered it and work out a price. They did and he transferred it to the new buyer

ATF charged the shop owner with aiding a straw purchase.

So the new buyer turned around and sold it to the original guy? That's what makes it a straw purchase, right?

Usually when I think of a straw purchase, I think of Mr. Felon wants a gun and he get's Mr. Felon's old lady to go and buy it then gives it to Mr. Felon.

Sorry just want to be clear, a little confused.:rofl:

So the new buyer turned around and sold it to the original guy? That's what makes it a straw purchase, right?

Usually when I think of a straw purchase, I think of Mr. Felon wants a gun and he get's Mr. Felon's old lady to go and buy it then gives it to Mr. Felon.

Sorry just want to be clear, a little confused.:rofl:

No, the new buyer and the original buyer had nothing to do with each other, other than the telephone conversation. The actual buyer answered the question on the 4473 truthfully, he was the actual buyer of the firearm. That didnt stop ATF from charging the dealer though.

I think they lost the case but of course the dealer had to pay legal fees etc.

Guest db99wj
No, the new buyer and the original buyer had nothing to do with each other, other than the telephone conversation. The actual buyer answered the question on the 4473 truthfully, he was the actual buyer of the firearm. That didnt stop ATF from charging the dealer though.

I think they lost the case but of course the dealer had to pay legal fees etc.

Damn.

Damn.

I'm sure the dealer embellished that sentiment quite a bit.

I asked ATF what the dealer should have done. They said "the dealer should have just refunded the guy's money, maybe keeping a 15% restocking fee."

Bear in mind this was a special order so it was going to be something weird, ergo hard to sell.

Guest bkelm18

I'm not a shop owner but I'd be kinda pissed. Waiting for some guy to get off his lazy ass to pick up the pistols whenever he feels like it. Probably why I'm not in your position. I don't react well to idiots.

Guest Major Pain
Is there any way to turn a situation like that over to the PoPo or ATF and let them deal with it?

"We are the government, we are here to help you". Sorry got carried away.---MP