At what point do you pull the trigger?

Guest I_AM_WOOD

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

Isn't leash laws more of a local law issue not state law?

I don't speak dog, I can't read them, I don't know them, especially ones that I am not familiar with. To protect my wife and kids means that a dog dies. So be it.

Guest jth_3s

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'd say the attitude of the dog would play into my decision. I wouldnt shoot it if it was wagging its tail as in this video. Anybody Remember this ridiculous abuse of authority?

A couple of weeks ago I was cutting my front yard and a nieghbors Boxer was loose in thier front yard. Another neighbor was outside and on the phone. The dog spotted him and took off after him. The dog chased him back into his house. The dog was out in the road then and turned it's attention towards me. I usually have my gun with me while doing yard work but didn't this time. The dog charged me as its owner began yelling for the dog to stop. He knows that I carry and I believe that he thought that he was about to lose his dog. All I had with me at that time was the bag off of my mower. I believe that if I had not had that I would have been bit. My wife had seen the neighbor get chased in and went to get her camera so we have a video of this dog go after me in case I ever have to prove how aggressive this dog really is.

After he got control of the dog I told him that was his last chance and that I would get the police involved even if I see the dog go after someone else and not me. I also told him that I would not be "naked" again.

I have wondered where I would stand if I did have to shoot this dog and I appreciate the opinions that I have read here.

Isn't leash laws more of a local law issue not state law?

I don't speak dog, I can't read them, I don't know them, especially ones that I am not familiar with. To protect my wife and kids means that a dog dies. So be it.

+1

It's not the responsibility of a pedestrian to learn dog mannerisms or certain techniques which may or may not work. Dogs are just dumb animals and can't be expected to react in a prescribed manner to the actions of a stranger.

Guest shortfri

Leash laws are county and city statutes. If the dog wasn't chained and there was a leash law you would have been o.k. in this instance. But thats my thoughts not a judges.

Pepper and chemical sprays only affect dogs that get sprayed in the nose. We were told never to spray them in the eyes that it doesn't work. Personally i've never tried to find out.

As to the person that started the thread, I think this couldn't have been handled any better. You stayed calm, proteceted your family, but was prepared to act if needed. As to 4 feet being to close to shot a dog. all i would worry about is if i'm gonna get its blood on my shoes. the right bullet put in the right place means doggie body rolling into your feet.

I worked with a guy once who had 2 pit bulls and 2 roommates. We were on a business trip when he got a call from one of the 'mates saying he had a friend over and they were playing with the dogs when the friend was bitten, had to go to the emergency room, sheriff was called, etc. Having met these dogs, I was surprised (they seemed pretty friendly at the time and I had no problems playing with them) but concerned for this guy knowing the damage they could do. So I ask him,

"How is that guy? Is he OK?"

His response,

"I dunno! What was he doing anyway? He wasn't playing with them right! You can't wrestle around them, it upsets them! ;) "

ME: "Uhm, might be a good idea to find out if the guy still has all his limbs and such. Soooooooo, they were wrestling with the dogs? That's not smart. No wonder he was bitten."

HIM: "No, my roommates were wrestling each other! The dogs don't like that!"

ME: "So, the roommates weren't touching the dogs. . . and the dogs bit them? Aaannnddd, you're blaming the roommates for this?"

HIM: "Yeah! They should know better!"

ME: :) "Maybe a kennel is in order when you're on long trips, eh?"

HIM: "I guess I'll have to from now on, huh?"

Moral of the story is, the dog owner will probably blame you no matter what. In court, you'll be the cold killer Rambo-type and the dog will be pure, innocent Fluffy who would never hurt a fly unless YOU provoked him, yadda yadda.

Moral of the story is, the dog owner will probably blame you no matter what. In court, you'll be the cold killer Rambo-type and the dog will be pure, innocent Fluffy who would never hurt a fly unless YOU provoked him, yadda yadda.

And in the OP's story you'll have your wife as a witness and she'll cry "MAI BABY!" and you'll go home minus our defense funds.

Exactly.

At what point would you pull the trigger? My thought was the second its front feet left the yard. What do you think/do in the situation. the end result was a talk with the owner who was outside at the time, they apologized and all is well and i think we have an understanding now about the chain.

Sounds like you handled it very well. Nobody, including the dog, got hurt. That is a lot to be thankful for right there.

You were completely and totally in the right, but I'm surprised that the owner didn't come unglued if he saw you draw down on his dog. Most dog owners wouldn't react well to that. The owner could have easily become a much more significant threat than the dog.

With the luxury of having time to think through this...

I would not risk shooting a dog in their own yard on the possibility that he was going to hurt us. Barking and growling is scary, but most of the time the dog will let it end there if you aren't being aggressive.

I'd try to position myself between the dog and my wife & child. If the dog is going to eat my kid, he is coming through me first. While I'm yelling at the dog to stop, I'm going to draw, turn weak side to the dog, brace for a hit, and protect the gun. Hopefully, we can be backing out of there and getting some distance between us and Cujo.

If the dog does not attack, then everybody gets to walk away.

If this really is a vicious animal, I'm going to get hurt and the dog will be shot.

Tactically- this plan stinks, but it is the only way I can see of being certain before pulling the trigger. While being bit is a MAJOR disadvantage, the good part is that the dog is a big target that close. If I get called into court, I'll tell my story as the simple truth: "The dog tried to kill me."

I would give the dog less leeway if he came onto my property or if we were in neutral/common ground.

Edited by Buzz