Church carry question

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a no carry zone.  It's a school, regardless of what it's being used for.

Thanks for the feedback. I went "unarmed" and noticed the guy sitting in front of me had on a crossbreed holster--based on the clips that hang over the belt. I guess he was a LEO or missed the felony notice on the door. Either way, i felt ok--mostly because i was behind him. We have a lot of members who serve in Law Enforcement (both local, state and federal).

LEO are really supposed to carry only in schools while on official buisness. You just reminded me of why I do much preferred a Kholster over a Supertuck. The crosses really draw attention.

Only if you know what you are looking for --My niece asked me if I had on ADULT DIAPERS one time a few years ago..........Kids

LEO are really supposed to carry only in schools while on official buisness. You just reminded me of why I prefer a Kholster over a Supertuck. The crosses really draw attention.

I probably wouldn't have noticed if he didn't have a brown belt on. This made the clips jump out a little more

If the person was a law enforcement officer (or bona fide retiree), he can carry concealed under the federal Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act, unless there is a "no guns allowed on the property" sign.  I doubt whether a sign giving notice of the state statute is sufficient.

"Also, make sure you understand that LEOSA does not exempt officers from the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act."

Still written into HR 218 as of the last revision in 2010.

Well, being licensed by the state to carry is an exception to that. Hell, I could carry in TN schools under the federal law, it's state law that prevents me.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Well, being licensed by the state to carry is an exception to that. Hell, I could carry in TN schools under the federal law, it's state law that prevents me.

- OS

Crazy isn't it? A TN HCP holder would be in violation of state law while a armed off-duty officer would be in violation of a federal law

Crazy isn't it? A TN HCP holder would be in violation of state law while a armed off-duty officer would be in violation of a federal law

Well, of course the LEOSA statement in federal law doesn't mean that in every state an off-duty or retired officer is forbidden via the School Zone Act either,  as long as he is "licensed" by the state, just means that the LEOSA itself doesn't "license" him.

And "license" doesn't necessarily have to be confined to a "piece of paper", but rather "permission" which can granted in a state statute.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Just another example of how stupid our gun laws are. Without students there it's just another building.

Agree. I am trying out a new church today that meets in a school building. Glad I found this thread but disappointed in the answer. I guess it's staying in the truck this morning.