Southern Grind Bad Monkey

So I don't know if any of yall are familiar with Zac Brown Band but Zac Brown is a country musician.  He is also a non stop worker.  He has created several businesses from leather goods manufacture to steel shops and now a knife company.  They started out with a big machete style fixed blade and now have a folder out, called the Bad Monkey.  I got one for Christmas and here is a quick little review.  

FCB35819-9589-4D0D-B058-F76BEACF9BD6-231

Its a 14c28n Sandvik steel blade with carbon fiber twill handles over steel liners.  It comes in either a drop point or modified tanto, choice of strait or serrated and choice of stainless finish or cerakoted black.  Mine is the black straight blade drop point. All parts of the knife are made in the shop in Georgia and even the steel is a USA steel.  They even machine their own hardware.  However, the hardware requires proprietary tools to disassemble or adjust the knife.  

Zac Brown is a big fan of Emerson knives and I've heard that Ernest mentored Zac in starting his company.  Because of this, Zac has licensed and uses the Emerson Wave on the Bad Monkey series.  

I've been carrying it this week and I have to say that I really like this knife.  Its a big knife, having a 4 inch blade, 5 inch handle and over 9 inches overall.  But it is very light thanks to the materials used.  It fills up the hand but doesn't feel heavy at all.  Every knife is hand assembled so they spend time getting the fit and finish perfect.  My knife has no rough edges, the blade is perfectly centered, a very even bevel and the blade came plenty sharp.  

The big complaint however, is the pocket clip.  It is a very short design that I tried out and couldn't make work.  it simply wasn't enough to keep the knife in my pocket.  I chose to swap it out with a Benchmade clip.  

12036DA1-7B9C-4139-97B6-B87B2E551BB6-394

In addition to the knife, Southern Grind includes a few freebies.  You can see them in the picture below.  They include a very nice leather koozie and key chain and a paracord bracelet with a side release buckle that sports their name.  

ECC6FB42-05E1-481E-B45B-B5B95E4F2D33-231

Overall, I would give the knife a 7 out of 10.  Its a great knife and I like it A LOT.  But the choice of steel at that price point detracts one point, the proprietary tools detract one point and the clip detracts a half point.  The other half point was lost for lack of a flipper (I'm really into flippers these days).  This was something that I knew going in though and still chose to add the knife to the collection.  

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw these when I attended the Zac Brown Southern Ground Festival in Nashville a few months ago and have considered getting one ever since.  They are truly beautiful, the only thing that has stopped me so far is the size, no sure if I wanted something that big for everyday carry.  

• 10 months later...

I too can appreciate a spring assist but after having this thing for a couple of weeks now, I can use the Emerson hook on the Bad Monkey and have this knife open pretty much instantly as it exits my pocket.  It took a small laceration and bit of practice to get used to it but I like it.

Edited by pitt2magic