Baffle Erosion?

Guest Ditchdigger

Guest Ditchdigger

Waiting on my first stamp for a Wilson Combat 7.62 Whisper. Using a trust. I have been researching 22 rim fire suppressors. Thought I'd try to get a little more milage out of the trust. Kind looking at the huntertown arms cans( thanks Tempest455). Researching the rimfire cans people talk about blast baffle erosion. I will not be running it on anything full auto, or probably not a lot of hard use.                                             How many rounds does it take before baffle erosion starts becoming an issue,  hundreds, thousands or several thousands?                         Spend the extra 150 to 200 hundred dollars  to get one with stainless baffles?                                                                                                      Has anyone noticed any Huntertown 22 cans in stock anywhere between Nashville and Chattanooga or something comparable?               Guns and Leather has a Guardian in stock aluminum version, (thanks Metalhead). JoeBobs shows a Kestrel in stock stainless. Trying to avoid another transfer wait and help some TGO supporters. What do Ya'll think ?                   

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only wear you will see with a .22 suppressor is to the first baffle, sometimes referred to as the blast baffle.  Some companies offer suppressors with a stainless blast baffle.  This is really only needed if you have a full-auto .22. 

Last year I sent my old Gemtech Outback to the factory to be upgraded.  Not because of wear, but because after over 15,000rds, it was pretty gunky and I'd had a few baffle strikes from using inappropriate ammo (Aguila 60gr SSS in a .223 barrel).  The original baffles were not worn out at all. 

For the normal shooter, this is a non-issue.  Clean it every couple of thousand rounds and it will stay nice and quiet. Interestingly enough, my suppressor gets about 1Db quieter after a couple of hundred rounds.  With a bit of dirt, the baffles absorb energy more rapidly.  Of course, after a while, the lower internal volume caused by added gunk will make it less able to absorb that energy, and thus, a bit louder.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking at the Huntertown Arms as well.  They have a complete warranty even on the baffles as long as you aren't doing something stupid.  I would like to get the SS as well just to not have to worry about it  Plus, with SS I can throw the baffles in my ultrasonic cleaner without worry.  Can't do that with the Aluminum.  It's either that or the SS Sparrow, but the Sparrow is about $200 more and from everything I have read, I don't see much extra advantage.  

Edited by Hozzie

I have more rounds than I could count, definitely over 15K as well, and I have not seen any problems from my can. I will say that my baffles are 17-4 stainless which is the same alloy used in most centerfire suppressors. The cost difference is neglible so I would go with stainless.

The biggest problem with 22 cans is cleaning. And for that I recommend the SilencerCo Sparrow in stainless. You cannot find an easier to clean can that it.

Dolomite

as far as finding a huntertown arms check with justin@libertysuppressors a vendor on here, a friend at work mentioned they sell them they are located in Trenton Ga and have a demo day once a week? Carter's on 58 can do the transfer.