AK47 Barrel pin broke:

I'm hoping Smith and a few other of you Kalashnikov guys can chime in on this. Last week I was putting some rounds through my slg-61 and an event happened that I can't seem to find another instance of taking place. After a few shots the resonance from the rifle changed and I knew something was up. I had hearing protection in but my ears were still ringing and had an abnormal amount of blowback in my face. I immediately stopped having the inclination something was up. Upon taking down the rifle and removing the lower hand guard I located the culprit. My barrel pin was completely gone with both halves captured in the hand guard. There is also a hole located in the barrel midway through which I imagined the pressure from the spent gasses caused the pin to fracture. With all this said has this occurred with anyone else? Who should I contact to get my rifle back operational? I purchased the firearm from a well known member here but will not disclose his name because I feel as if this is a problem originating from Arsenal not him. I just wanted to include that because I believe the gun has always been taken care of. thanks for any input. Edited by RedChief_223
It's a tricky area to photograph but I can attempt to so later on though and seeing how i purchased it second hand i wouldn't imagine arsenal honoring any warranty especially after reading about TLRMADE's experience with them. I know a new pin can be pressed in but my concern is the hole where the gas is escaping from.
So as confirmed by a professional gunsmith today the chamber on the barrel was breached by whomever reemed it for the pin. I'm doing my best keeping my cool about this situation. I intend to call Arsenal's customer service department tomorrow and see what my next avenue is going to be. I'll keep this updated. I'm just bum'd because I invested in the best milspec AK I could acquire at the time only to find out later down the road I'd been the same of taking a gamble with a WASR. I will keep anyone posted of further progress if they care to know. Edited by RedChief_223
  • Like 1

We need pictures. I am having a hard time understanding how the barrel pin could have fallen into the handguard. The pin for the rear sight block maybe, but not the barrel pin.

ETA-sounds like it needs a new barrel

Edited by Superman
  • Like 1

I am no gunsmith, but I have built a few AKs from parts kits. Looks like that pin was drilled to low. My guess is you are going to need a new barrel and likely a new rear sight block to fix it. SGL models started out as a Saiga, right?

Not that it matters in this situation, but the barrel pin is the pin that holds the barrel in the front trunnion. You can see half of it in the second pic.

Edited by Superman
Thank you for the clarification Superman and to yes to answer your question yes they convert them from Saigas. I spoke to the individual i bought it from and he was kind enough to offer to track down the original owner to see if maybe he would be willing to contact Arsenal on my behalf. He seemed to recall it is a member here as well. Considering the origin of the problem do any of you think that they are going to work with me to make this right or just have to eat the cost myself?

I have no idea if they would cover it, even for the original owner. I have heard good and bad about Arsenal customer service. But in their defense, it isn't something they did, that hole was drilled by Saiga. But it was overlooked by Arsenal.

Whoever fixes it, if they just replace the barrel and they use that hole as a guide to drill for the pin it will happen again.

I agree. The assembler at the Izsmash factory is the person to blame. What I'm hoping for is that Arsenal can convince Izsmash to supply them with a new gas block/barrel so the only cost they'll have to eat is the in-house smith to remove and replace the parts on my rifle. Not to be naive and being a person where misfortune strikes more often then not a portion of my return will be set aside to cover the cost. Thanks for your words Superman. I'll keep this updated.
Was able to get ahold of a CS rep at Arsenal earlier. I explained my predicament and she said that she hadn't ever heard of anything like this and if I could send some pictures so the production manager could view them and see what they can do. It was the end of the day there and was told i will be contacted tomorrow at some point. Hopefully i will have some good news in my future.
I did buddy, I had to get a RMR number specifically for my claim. I received that today so it will be boxed up and shipped out tomorrow. No specifics have been given to me yet as to who will cover the cost/turn around time but I anticipate they're most likely swamped with orders at the moment. Also i requested to have a spare bolt supplied and headspaced for me just in preparation purposes in case I may not be able to acquire one later down the road.
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your post. Sorry for your troubles as I've assumed that an Arsenal would be the most reliable rifle available. Especially if built on a Russian Saiga, doublechecked by two of the best IMHO. I've owned 2 Saiga's with zero issues, but it only takes one mistake to ruin perfection. Hopefully they send your rifle back "right" ASAP.
Update****

So I am pretty pissed currently. This is the email i received earlier today. I replied to demand to speak to a supervisor before the rifle is returned.

"Cory, The production department has brought me your rifle and it was re-drilled by and the hole into the barrel was caused by someone other than Arsenal Inc and we will not be making ANY repairs to this rifle. Please issue a call tag for this firearm as we are not cashing your check and it will be returned with the rifle."
An additional update overnight

We have further evaluation it has been determined that it is un-safe to return in the current condition. So we will replace the complete barrel assemble and bring the rifle to its original configuration . This will be an additional $100.00 cost. You will get the items you installed back, but not on the rifle. They actually took me to the repair department to show me the firearm so that I would understand the issues.
I agree, I already sent 130 so it would be 230 total. I dont mind paying this amount even though I shouldnt because this wasnt anything i did. As long as it gets repaired right I'll just bite my tongue. I just want to make everyone aware of what to expect when dealing with a "high end" rifle company.
The problem is, you can't prove they did it, and they know it. If I read your posts correctly, you're at least the 3rd owner, correct? Who knows what happened while in the hand of previous owners.

I purchased a brand new Dan Wesson CBOB a few years ago and put a box or two of 10mm through it. Everything worked flawlessly. I then sold it to a member here on TGO, and he started having trouble with it right off the bat. He then sold it to another TGO member who also had trouble with it. I gave that member all the paperwork and receipt so he could have it taken care of. I lost track of It after that, but it was a mess.
  • 1 month later...